CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [Z06] Can a Z06 be converted into a auto? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/2010828-can-a-z06-be-converted-into-a-auto.html)

Jeff Pedersen 04-28-2008 10:57 PM

Can a Z06 be converted into a auto?

I have owned several manual vehicles including a few manual Vette's. I live in Chicago and often get stuck in the awful traffic out here. Quite frankly I'm tired of shifting and have learned the few tenths of a second gained by a manual is not worth it.

I was wondering if anybody in forumland has had or know of anyone who will convert a Z06 into a auto? I have boiled my choice between a 09 Z or a vert. Depending how much and how good the conversion is will help my decision.

Also, will the convert void the manufacture warranty?

A big thank you for any good info.

427Z 04-28-2008 10:59 PM

www.mallettcars.com

they have done the conversions. i think they are up in indiana

Cobra4B 04-28-2008 11:56 PM

Look up RPM Transmissions, they're pretty much the C5/C6 trans gurus and have done a few of them. They swapped the A6 with paddle shifters into a C6Z.

LPFSTheFett 04-29-2008 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Cobra4B (Post 1565231792)
Look up RPM Transmissions, they're pretty much the C5/C6 trans gurus and have done a few of them. They swapped the A6 with paddle shifters into a C6Z.

I have an RPM A4 Tranmission conversion going into my 2007 Z right now. :thumbs:

427Z 04-29-2008 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Cobra4B (Post 1565231792)

even better.

Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com 04-29-2008 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by 427Z (Post 1565230973)
www.mallettcars.com

they have done the conversions. i think they are up in indiana

mallet is in cleveland ohio . was just there today they turn out some wicked cars.

rodney@rpmtransmissions 04-29-2008 03:32 PM

We have completed two C6 Z06 conversions so far. The last one we just finished a few weeks ago is owned by a local disabled businessman. This Z06 was purchased new right next door at our local dealer and delievered to us with only a few miles. The conversion was a great sucess and the customer is VERY happy. The owner of the dealership drove the Z before we delievered it and is waiting on pricing so he can put one on his showroom. For more information give us a call and for those interested we can put you in touch with the owners of the last two.

blackvetterzo6 04-29-2008 05:50 PM

Cool option. But the whole point of owning a sports car is the manual trans, just my opinion. Just go buy a coupe or vert.

SPANKY LS1 04-29-2008 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by rodney@rpmtransmissions (Post 1565240209)
We have completed two C6 Z06 conversions so far. The last one we just finished a few weeks ago is owned by a local disabled businessman. This Z06 was purchased new right next door at our local dealer and delievered to us with only a few miles. The conversion was a great sucess and the customer is VERY happy. The owner of the dealership drove the Z before we delievered it and is waiting on pricing so he can put one on his showroom. For more information give us a call and for those interested we can put you in touch with the owners of the last two.

Out of curiousity, what trans are you guys putting in them? Are you re-wiring the car, or running a standalone?

Shawn

rodney@rpmtransmissions 04-29-2008 06:04 PM

We are using a 6L80E and re-wiring the car. The install is very clean and looks OEM. I have spent many hours with my nose in the service manuals and with help from my good friend John Spears (speartech.com) we have everything worked out. I will have one of my guys post some pics tomorrow or maybe even start a new thread.

"Cool option. But the whole point of owning a sports car is the manual trans, just my opinion. Just go buy a coupe or vert."

The last customer that we converted his Z06 over does have a coupe (LPE twin turbo C6) but wanted a Z06 also.

Jeff Pedersen 04-29-2008 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by blackvetterzo6 (Post 1565242433)
Cool option. But the whole point of owning a sports car is the manual trans, just my opinion. Just go buy a coupe or vert.

Disagree strongly. Read some of the recent numbers GM has put together in Motor Trend and Automobile magazine. The 08 numbers between a auto and manual are 1/10 yes 1/10 of a second 0-60 advantage manual. For all the work and hassle of a manual you could hope for better numbers. In reality and that is the real world it all comes down to the driver. Unfortunately some car manufactures still have that boy racer mentality. I'm not into the spoilers, stripes, flames, or manual transmissions as I need to prove nothing.

For those that like the manual. That is cool and enjoy. I had fun myself with them. But until and only until some law comes along and states a sports car must be a manual, I will enjoy a auto. I believe in the very near future manuals will only be made for trucks. As a matter of fact a manual is not even offered in the hottest most anticipated car in the last 10 years or more. The Dodge Challenger is only offered in a auto. Dodge has stated they have no interest in making a stick in this car. And quite frankly no need. If Chevy offered the Z06 in a auto it would sell better. Once Chevy realizes the idea is to sell more cars they will make a auto Z. Just another small reason GM is now the number 2 auto maker in the world.

Anyone have an idea how much the conversion costs???? And a HUGE thanks to all that have replied.

CORVETTE007 04-29-2008 06:18 PM

In all honesty, the Z06 is the ultimate performance way to go. Although, if you want a really nice sports car as a daily driver, a Convertible with the 436HP engine in the 08's and up might be the way to go.

I've had a couple of Corvette vert's and they are really nice, especially on the nice sunny days here.

If I didn't already have another convertible, I might have considered an 08' vert for driving around on nice days with the wife.

Originally Posted by Jeff Pedersen (Post 1565230925)
I have owned several manual vehicles including a few manual Vette's. I live in Chicago and often get stuck in the awful traffic out here. Quite frankly I'm tired of shifting and have learned the few tenths of a second gained by a manual is not worth it.

I was wondering if anybody in forumland has had or know of anyone who will convert a Z06 into a auto? I have boiled my choice between a 09 Z or a vert. Depending how much and how good the conversion is will help my decision.

Also, will the convert void the manufacture warranty?

A big thank you for any good info.

TRR 04-29-2008 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by blackvetterzo6 (Post 1565242433)

I'm old school myself and would agree with you if I had not driven my wife's auto vert. Put that 6spd auto in a Z06 with the proper tuning and hardware and I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

TRR

Cobra4B 04-29-2008 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff Pedersen (Post 1565242754)
Disagree strongly. Read some of the recent numbers GM has put together in Motor Trend and Automobile magazine. The 08 numbers between a auto and manual are 1/10 yes 1/10 of a second 0-60 advantage manual. For all the work and hassle of a manual you could hope for better numbers. In reality and that is the real world it all comes down to the driver. Unfortunately some car manufactures still have that boy racer mentality. I'm not into the spoilers, stripes, flames, or manual transmissions as I need to prove nothing.

For those that like the manual. That is cool and enjoy. I had fun myself with them. But until and only until some law comes along and states a sports car must be a manual, I will enjoy a auto. I believe in the very near future manuals will only be made for trucks. As a matter of fact a manual is not even offered in the hottest most anticipated car in the last 10 years or more. The Dodge Challenger is only offered in a auto. Dodge has stated they have no interest in making a stick in this car. And quite frankly no need. If Chevy offered the Z06 in a auto it would sell better. Once Chevy realizes the idea is to sell more cars they will make a auto Z. Just another small reason GM is now the number 2 auto maker in the world.

Anyone have an idea how much the conversion costs???? And a HUGE thanks to all that have replied.

Wow... you really just typed that out :lol: You equate a manual transmission in a sports car with being "boy racer". I'm almost at a loss for words.

I guess it's one of those things to where If I have to explain it you certainly wouldn't understand.

The new 6 speed auto is great, and achieves very similar acceleration times to the manual simply because it can now have comparable gearing in 1st through 4th where the real fun takes place.

However, for anyone who's ever driven on a road course (or great back road) and executed a perfect heel-toe downshift all while trailbraking into a turn... well for those people (I am one of them) a slushbox will never suffice.

Yes... I've driven SMG M3s, Tiptronic Porsches, the new Jaguar KXR and KFs with their Aston Martin ZF 6-speed auto, etc... sure they're cool, but they lack one thing.... they lack any skill needed from the driver. You're just a passenger in your own car man :lol:

I love having an auto in my daily driver pickup... but I will never own one in anything worth driving... people driving manuals are a dying breed, that is why mfgs are moving away from them... not because they won't be more fun or perform better. Simply, your average consumer is a half-wit who doesn't know any better.

:cheers:

rodney@rpmtransmissions 04-29-2008 06:27 PM

I agree with both parties. FWIW my 07 Z06 is a 6 spd manual but for some that is NOT an option. My last conversion is owned by a gentleman that has a prostetic left leg and can not operate a clutch. I have another NEW 08 that is in transit for a conversion for a customer who is paralized from the waist down. Once the conversion is made the Z06 will be sent out to have hand controls installed. :thumbs:

SPANKY LS1 04-29-2008 06:29 PM

I cannot imagine how wicked a Z06 would be with a stalled automatic.

Shawn

Cobra4B 04-29-2008 06:29 PM

^ I agree with the conversions for the disabled or someone who wants to daily drive the car and never track it. My younger brother is wheelchair bound.

My objection is for those who believe an automatic will be the better option for all out performance. GM's 6-speed auto isn't a SMG system, it's not going to shift like a Ferrari or M3 setup, but will come fairly close all while still being cruiser friendly.

rodney@rpmtransmissions 04-29-2008 06:34 PM

This thread would be shot down so fast in the "Autocrossing & Roadracing" section :lol:

Jeff Pedersen 04-29-2008 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Cobra4B (Post 1565242870)
Wow... you really just typed that out :lol: You equate a manual transmission in a sports car with being "boy racer". I'm almost at a loss for words.

I guess it's one of those things to where If I have to explain it you certainly wouldn't understand.

The new 6 speed auto is great, and achieves very similar acceleration times to the manual simply because it can now have comparable gearing in 1st through 4th where the real fun takes place.

However, for anyone who's ever driven on a road course (or great back road) and executed a perfect heel-toe downshift all while trailbraking into a turn... well for those people (I am one of them) a slushbox will never suffice.

Yes... I've driven SMG M3s, Tiptronic Porsches, the new Jaguar KXR and KFs with their Aston Martin ZF 6-speed auto, etc... sure they're cool, but they lack one thing.... they lack any skill needed from the driver. You're just a passenger in your own car man :lol:

I love having an auto in my daily driver pickup... but I will never own one in anything worth driving... people driving manuals are a dying breed, that is why mfgs are moving away from them... not because they won't be more fun or perform better. Simply, your average consumer is a half-wit who doesn't know any better.

:cheers:

I suggest you start reading. Have you read any reviews of the 08 Vette? Your daily driver pickup is better suited for the stick. Once again it all comes down to the driver. Even most racing formats have moved away from the clutch. The manual is dying as most outdated things do. Are you still enjoying your black and white TV or maybe still using a rotary phone? Times change all things advance. Chevy needs to get out of the boy racer mentality. Or at least the macho mentality.

And for the guy that states he only does this for handicapped individual obviously has an agenda. Dude it is so clear we can see it a mile away. Do you really expect us to believe only handicapped people want a auto Z? Some of us grow up and get tired of playing with a stick. Or feel we are men enough and have nothing to prove to boy racers. Many and I mean many consumers would love a auto Z. Most (not all) buyers of the Vette are older and have been down the road using a manual. I think those that want it should have it. It can be fun at times. But a manual is not for everyone.

Sharky99 04-29-2008 06:54 PM

Didn't some else post this pic already?

[IMG]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...side20view.jpg[/IMG]