CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Sunroof cut into painted top? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/2020902-sunroof-cut-into-painted-top.html)

napacruzerc5 05-10-2008 12:20 AM

Sunroof cut into painted top?

Anyone see or know of anyone cutting and installing a sunroof onto a painted top? Interested in one that just cranked open a bit on the rear edge. Guess I'm just getting lazy since I won't stop and remove the top:ack:

Today's problem is.. 05-10-2008 12:26 AM

:skep: Drinking too much wine tonight out there in Napa?

napacruzerc5 05-10-2008 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Today's problem is.. (Post 1565395767)
:skep: Drinking too much wine tonight out there in Napa?

Yeah. Come out here and I'll share and take you on wine tasting tour.

Junkman2008 05-10-2008 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by napacruzerc5 (Post 1565395701)
Anyone see or know of anyone cutting and installing a sunroof onto a painted top? Interested in one that just cranked open a bit on the rear edge. Guess I'm just getting lazy since I won't stop and remove the top:ack:

Kinda defeats the having of a targa roof don't you think?

Got any wine coolers I can taste? :D

jdmvette 05-10-2008 01:09 AM

that might be an idea for an FRC, but for a targa car it's pretty much

http://www.virginmedia.com/images/redneck.jpg

C5naples 05-10-2008 01:15 AM

That would probably look really bad!

10U 99 05-10-2008 05:33 AM

I would think the small size of the top area would make it impractical. and too, by the surface of the top being contoured and not flat it would be difficult to find a unit to fit. any mechanism used to operate the unit would intrude into the cockpit's already cramped area.

just take the 45 seconds to remove the top and preserve the integrity of the design

Scriz 05-10-2008 07:33 AM

Couldn't you just cut the pattern out of a clear top and fit it in. It seems that it would be the easiest way to match the contours. The hardest part would be to find and attach the mechanism to lift the back. As long as the frame of the top is intact, the rigidity of the frame should be fine. Seems like alot of work though when you could either get the clear top or stop and pop off the painted one, but that is just my two cents.

Good luck.
Chris

killain 05-10-2008 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Scriz (Post 1565397304)
Couldn't you just cut the pattern out of a clear top and fit it in. It seems that it would be the easiest way to match the contours. The hardest part would be to find and attach the mechanism to lift the back. As long as the frame of the top is intact, the rigidity of the frame should be fine. Seems like alot of work though when you could either get the clear top or stop and pop off the painted one, but that is just my two cents.

Good luck.
Chris

:iagree: Plus I think it would leak nonstop!

TioSterling 05-10-2008 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by napacruzerc5 (Post 1565395701)

I was thinking about this a while back. I agree it wouldnt be very practical but it may look cool with the c5 lines. Id like to see one too

jrose7004 05-10-2008 09:35 AM

Hey Rhys, I know a guy that put a sunroof on his FRC!

NAVY08 05-10-2008 10:03 AM

well since the top of the top isnt flat that wouldent be easy to do, but good luck

minitech 05-10-2008 11:21 AM

I like the idea of some kind of easily removable top while driving. I'll throw some support behind the idea; way too easy to just say bad idea, why don't you just pull over, etc.. He was asking for some constructive comments.

I was thinking of possibly using the stock top, cut a large area out of it and then make some kind of a seal around it and a latch that would hold the removable piece in. Would take some engineering but possible and would make a salable product. The panel would be very light weight. Could reach up and remove it and put it in the back even while driving. When in it would look stock from the outside. Maybe use a sunroof mechanism and use the cut stock panel for the panel? Wouldn't leak if done right.

napacruzerc5 05-10-2008 04:04 PM

Just what I like about this forum. Everyone has some opinion one way or another. Just thought I'd kick this idea around. Thanks for the input.

dobewillie 05-10-2008 05:29 PM

bad idea:eek:

joeracer49 05-10-2008 05:48 PM

Take a look at the removable tops in the old Mazda Rx7s. They flipped up at the rear or could be removed. They did not slide back. I recall some people had glass tops as well.

The original Rx7 removable top was not that big and might fit w/in the parameters of the Vet roof. That would be a lot of work though. But then you could start selling kits. Make sure you send me my 20% cut of the gross income you make.:lol: :lol:

johnson-rod 05-10-2008 08:20 PM

I was thinking along the same lines. I would really like a moon roof instead of the targa top. I almost never have the moon roof closed in my other cars but I've only taken the targa top off the corvette twice.

My '98 Acura GSR had a very small moon roof that powered up and back out on top of the roof. It was a very low roof with almost no headliner. It's small size would fit perfectly in a targa top. You would lose the double hump. Something to think about over the winter.

madeouttaglass 05-10-2008 09:05 PM

I'd like one for my convertible. I'm feeling lazy too.

HiVoltge 05-10-2008 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by dobewillie (Post 1565402081)
bad idea:eek:

:iagree:

JETZ 05-10-2008 11:48 PM

You should put a 'roof scoop' on! :D