CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   ping.....ping......my car freaking PINGS!!!!! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/2026108-ping-ping-my-car-freaking-pings.html)

rraulston 05-15-2008 07:32 PM

ping.....ping......my car freaking PINGS!!!!!

My car PINGS.......and its pissing me off........BONE STOCK 03 z06 and every time I try to have a little fun 1/2 throttle and up....IT PINGS....I have to back off......I have used Shell...PING...PING, 76...PING PING PING, circle K PING PING ping ping.......Chevron...PING ping PING ping I guess a Kenne Bell is out of the question....If i ping stock, cant imagine FI.....Jeebus, at least my Evo at 19 PSI had a top notch knock sensor to keep ping down.....there is NO WAY this vette has a knock sensor.... if it does, its screwed into the right rear tire...... Ping Pisses me the PUCK off.........sorry for the rant........:toetap:

69 05-15-2008 08:06 PM

Earling in the program life of the C5, The General underestimated that some owners will actully hose off thier engines at the car wash or at home.

The result of this action was that the area of the knock sensor would fill up with water and cause corrosion to the sensor and plug.

Below is a link to a TSB that was used to address this issue on the early C5's

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...+DTC+P0332+Set

jimcork1 05-15-2008 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by 69 (Post 1565478182)
Earling in the program life of the C5, The General underestimated that some owners will actully hose off thier engines at the car wash or at home.

The result of this action was that the area of the knock sensor would fill up with water and cause corrosion to the sensor and plug.

Below is a link to a TSB that was used to address this issue on the early C5's

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...+DTC+P0332+Set

Ping = Knock sensor

aquaholic 05-15-2008 08:26 PM

i'de start by checking for codes. then run a couple of bottles of chevron techron plus through the tank. then follow that up with checking the fuel pressure and the timing. you can also pull a spark plug or 2 and check them for oil contamination in the cylinders. this is all cheap, quick and easy.

02gt350 05-15-2008 09:04 PM

what octane you using? maybe get a tune....find out what is going on...or yes....the knock sensors are fugged

dgrant3830 05-15-2008 10:54 PM

My '99 will ping like mad if I use Shell Premium in it. I think its the ethanol doing it..but truly don't know.

rraulston 05-15-2008 11:05 PM

Yea, ive tried every premium there is......maybe ill tune it and give it a little more fuel and take away a degree or two of timing......

95BlueBomber 05-15-2008 11:16 PM

I would check for audible pings as well as the above mentioned. Its possible you have something loose in the exhaust area causing an audible knock.

MIKE-C5 05-15-2008 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by jimcork1 (Post 1565478458)
Ping = Knock sensor

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

Corvette Don 05-16-2008 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by dgrant3830 (Post 1565480948)
My '99 will ping like mad if I use Shell Premium in it. I think its the ethanol doing it..but truly don't know.

I thought Ethanol prevents knock as its 110 octane

Ron78Z&66Vette 05-16-2008 03:03 AM

There's a limit on how much timing the computer will retard to avoid audible knock.

About 10 years ago a buddy of mine had an LT1 Z28 that started audibly pinging on him. He put a bottle of BG44K in the tank to get rid of carbon deposits in the combustion chamber. Problem went away and never came back. Ever since then I swear by the stuff.

Might not hurt to change the fuel filter as well. It may be a stretch, but a SEVERELY clogged fuel filter could cause you to run lean and lead to detonation.

rws.1 05-16-2008 07:14 AM

For a short term fix, you could also increase your octane rating....
Xylene is used at the refinery.
You can buy it at Home Depot or a painters supply store... About $15/gallon. It has an Octane rating of 117.

Do a search here or on the web There are lots of formulas' for home brew rocket fuel.

Gordy M 05-16-2008 07:31 AM

Find someone with full feature scanning software and take a 20 minute ride. With a couple of 2nd and 3rd gear romps till it pings should isolate the problems. it could be the tune, injectors, fuel filters etc.

BLOWNBLUEZ06 05-16-2008 08:01 AM

Surprised no one has mentioned the Seafoam clean-out.

Ron78Z&66Vette 05-16-2008 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06 (Post 1565484247)
Surprised no one has mentioned the Seafoam clean-out.

True, that would also do the trick if it's carboned up. A lot cheaper, but I'm lazy and would rather just pour a can in the tank. :)

dgrant3830 05-16-2008 10:57 AM

I used SeaFoam with really no change. Then tried GM Top End cleaner in it and that did indeed reduce the pinging. I then had the firmware updated to the latest specs from GM which accounts for several things inluding the new plugs(41-985's), pinging, right fuel tank sending unit and so on. The pinging went down some more. I found what appeared to be errors in the programming at a couple of map presssures, so I corrected them and updated. Pinging is still there but greatly reduced. The gas out here is crap at only 91 Octane. Even my '07 pings on occassion with the bad gas.
When I was forced to use Shell since I was running out...it pinged like mad till it was gone and replaced. On a trip last month in the '07, I had to use Shell a couple of times and each time, I was getting pinging again till it was replaced.

rcknusa 05-19-2008 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by dgrant3830 (Post 1565486574)
I used SeaFoam with really no change. Then tried GM Top End cleaner in it and that did indeed reduce the pinging. I then had the firmware updated to the latest specs from GM which accounts for several things inluding the new plugs(41-985's), pinging, right fuel tank sending unit and so on. The pinging went down some more. I found what appeared to be errors in the programming at a couple of map presssures, so I corrected them and updated. Pinging is still there but greatly reduced. The gas out here is crap at only 91 Octane. Even my '07 pings on occassion with the bad gas.
When I was forced to use Shell since I was running out...it pinged like mad till it was gone and replaced. On a trip last month in the '07, I had to use Shell a couple of times and each time, I was getting pinging again till it was replaced.

How do you get the firmware updated? I have changed the sensors 3 times and the wiring harness once and still get P0332 H C from time to time. I noticed that it will come on after setting the cruise control or after the acceleration to get on the highway to match traffic and I settle down to the flow the engine light comes on.

dgrant3830 05-19-2008 05:20 PM

Use the following web site with your VIN#. Printout the software/firmware updates for your exact car. Provide that printout to the dealer of your choice and ask for the firmware updates. They will charge you for the time for their technician.
Our cars are rolling computer systems and just like software updates for the home computers, our cars need them too.
http://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web

98nosvette 05-20-2008 03:02 PM

How bout a lower thermostat? I had pinging issues until I installed a 160* thermostat.

rcknusa 05-20-2008 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by dgrant3830 (Post 1565530110)
Use the following web site with your VIN#. Printout the software/firmware updates for your exact car. Provide that printout to the dealer of your choice and ask for the firmware updates. They will charge you for the time for their technician.
Our cars are rolling computer systems and just like software updates for the home computers, our cars need them too.
http://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web

:thumbs: Thank you, this is great. I will take it in on Friday and see if they can do the updates for me. Hopefully this will take care of the knock sensor issue.