CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Kumho Tire Question (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2029848-kumho-tire-question.html)

AmmoVet 05-20-2008 12:16 AM

Kumho Tire Question

Like others I'm having a heck of a time trying to find a suitable replacement tire for my 2006 C6. I have 2 questions regarding Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum tires.

If I stay away from runflats because I can;t find availability in the sizes needed would these be a suitable replacement non-runflat?

Note that this tire comes in 245/40 in both 18 and 19 inch rims, anyone tried running same size tire on the front and back?

Primary concerns are tread wear and highway use.

C6400hp 05-20-2008 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Ammo (Post 1565536804)
Like others I'm having a heck of a time trying to find a suitable replacement tire for my 2006 C6. I have 2 questions regarding Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum tires.

If I stay away from runflats because I can;t find availability in the sizes needed would these be a suitable replacement non-runflat?

Note that this tire comes in 245/40 in both 18 and 19 inch rims, anyone tried running same size tire on the front and back?

At least get the correct sizes!:willy:

AmmoVet 05-20-2008 01:59 AM

ttt

Larry B. 05-20-2008 05:51 AM

I put a set of the Kumho's on my 05. They make the correct sizefor the rear now but somehow the tire shops catalogues are not up to date. Anyway, I love these. They are very quiet and smooth. They balanced nicely. I have no problems at all. They are Z rated so they must meet certain standards. I would recommend them.:thumbs:

C7-Beast 05-20-2008 06:42 AM

I have Kumho Ecsta tires on my Volvo. The only issue I have had is a get a lot of bubbles in the sidewalls. There are a ton of potholes in my area and my Kumho's are low profile (P235/45ZR18's) but I have had 3 different tires develop bubbles in a year. Luckily I had Road Hazard Insurance and they were covered 100% but it was still a PITA to deal with. My former PZero tires went 12k miles with no bubbles over the same roads.

NewC6guy 05-20-2008 07:14 AM

I have Kumho ecsta SPTs in the stock size and I think they are awesome and @ 670 bucks shipped from Tire Rack they were a great deal.

Ozone 05-20-2008 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Larry B. (Post 1565537935)
I put a set of the Kumho's on my 05. They make the correct sizefor the rear now but somehow the tire shops catalogues are not up to date. Anyway, I love these. They are very quiet and smooth. They balanced nicely. I have no problems at all. They are Z rated so they must meet certain standards. I would recommend them.:thumbs:

:iagree: :iagree:
Have them on my 06 in the OEM sizes. I recommend them as well!

tv_dir 05-20-2008 01:24 PM

I had the same problem. I gave in and got the Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Run-Flats in the rear ...and the Kuhmo Run-flats in front, all four factory size.

To my amazment:thumbs: No problems with about 400 miles on them. Much better then matched Good Years.

--Mike--

Ozone 05-20-2008 01:33 PM

Oops...Sorry, I didn't follow my own #1 rule here...RTFQ (Read The F***ing Question)! The OP was asking about the new Kumho Platinum tires. I haven't seen where those are available in stock C6 sizes. I (along with several others here) have the Kumho ECSTA SPTs and absolutely love them. I've seen posts about a Kumho run-flat and am eagerly awaiting more info on those. Good Luck!

DarthStimpy 05-20-2008 02:11 PM

the SPTs are better suited for the C6.

they have a VERY high tread wear rating and should last a long time (keep in mind this is probably 20 - 25k miles). You will not see 50k+ in any tire due to the limited tread to start with.

And you must keep the ratio of rolling diameter the same front and back in order to keep traction control happy. you can change them as much as you want as long as the ratio is the same.
Also your speedo will be off if you change the RD of the rear tire.

as far as going with 245s in the back, they are rated for a maximum of a 9.5" rim, so it's too small for the vette's rear. not to mention that the SPTs in the proper size are actually cheaper.

AmmoVet 05-20-2008 08:15 PM

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the timely inputs, great forum. I want the Firestone wide oval rft's but looks like it will be SPT's or PS2's till there available.
Maybe Bridgestone will put something out soon in the C6 sizes, I've had good luck with them on the wifes Lexus over the years.

Thanks again,
Mike

kgelliott 05-20-2008 08:35 PM

I'm waiting for my set of Kumhos to come in to Discount Tire right now. They matched the TireRack price, plus fixed my slow leak impressively back on April 1st for Free!

phileaglesfan 05-20-2008 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by C6400hp (Post 1565536863)
At least get the correct sizes!:willy:

I agree. Stay with the correct sizes. I know people would love to put the same size all around and throw a spare in the back. I think that would destroy the handling of the Vette though and possibly look weird with either too fat tires on the front or two thin tires on the rear.

C6400hp 05-20-2008 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan (Post 1565550309)
I agree. Stay with the correct sizes. I know people would love to put the same size all around and throw a spare in the back. I think that would destroy the handling of the Vette though and possibly look weird with either too fat tires on the front or two thin tires on the rear.

In addition to that your active handling and traction control will malfunction and not operate properly.:willy:

LMB 4 ME 05-20-2008 11:49 PM

I heard nothing but great things about Kumho tires, they will be my next set for sure.

kgelliott 05-28-2008 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by LMB 4 ME (Post 1565552692)
I heard nothing but great things about Kumho tires, they will be my next set for sure.

Just had mine put on yesterday!! :) Very impressed so far after a nice ride afterward. Immediately I noticed they were quieter and just felt good! Of course my OEM tires had over 25,000 miles on them and were ready for replacement! Was interesting to compare the amount of tread left on my original, used tires and the brand new ones!
Another enlightenment: seeing both front and rear tires stacked next to each other! Huge difference in size when seen right next to each other!! :eek: No question of running same on both front and rear!
Great customer service at the Discount store in Texarkana as well as TireRack prices. Great job by Josh. Total cost out the door with taxes, fees, etc = $789.61