CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Autocrossing & Roadracing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing-23/)
-   -   Sad news at SCCA Nelson Ledges (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing/2034669-sad-news-at-scca-nelson-ledges.html)

73-84 IMSA Widebody 05-25-2008 03:44 PM

Sad news at SCCA Nelson Ledges

Long time Corvette racer David Pintaric/BuckeyeZ06 heavily damaged and possibly totaled his Viper on Saturday. David is fine. Just a shame to start the season this way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50lGdQvVF3Q

On a positive note Joe Gaudette is running well with a few issues, cracked exhaust etc.

John Shiels 05-25-2008 03:54 PM

Glad he is all right. Sad about the car but people can't be replaced.

AU N EGL 05-25-2008 04:07 PM

Damn. Glad he is ok.

Shows the need for a full roll cage and other safety gear.

Lancer033 05-25-2008 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by AU N EGL (Post 1565612966)
Damn. Glad he is ok.

Shows the need for a full roll cage and other safety gear.

:iagree: ouch

gkmccready 05-25-2008 05:22 PM

Sad for sure, but Not SAD news. Very happy to hear David is okay!

fcarga 05-25-2008 05:31 PM

Sorry about your car, David, but am very glad that you and no one else were hurt.

mikahb 05-25-2008 06:12 PM

Holy crap Dave - what a hit!! :eek: I'm very sorry to hear about your incident, but very glad to hear you and everybody else are all right.

rasrboy 05-25-2008 06:35 PM

Holy $hit David, Glad you are ok buddy. You got my number if you need anything.:(

I didn't get the new motor in so that's why I was a no show!

Aaron

CHJ In Virginia 05-25-2008 06:35 PM

Ouch - that was a major off !! Glad the driver is OK, cars can be replaced. This is a prime example pf why folks should invest in the safety equipment if they are going to track their cars.

kam 05-25-2008 07:00 PM

David, it hurt just to watch that. :eek: Glad you are OK.

BuckeyeZ06 05-25-2008 07:11 PM

Hey guys! I am still alive! Remember Monte Python and the Holy Grail? "I'm not dead yet!" Gawd, I have a sick sense of humor.

Tough day at the office on Saturday. Friday started off real nice, my third lap on the track since last October yielded me a 1:09.9, just s tick under the track record set by John Buttermore (finished 2nd at the Run Offs). I did this on four heat cycle tires, so I was fairly happy about the weekend's potential. When I combined the data from Friday's first sessions and last year's July race, the computer said my "Best Theoritical Lap" is a 1:09.16...8 tenths under the record. I wanted a 1:08 before the weekend was over!

Saturday I went out on new rubber, you can see the results. Not good. The owner of the track talked to me today after watching the youtube video and he said I didn't do anything wrong. However I think I laid a tire a few inches (6 maybe) wrong, and Nelson Ledges is a very unforgiving track.

The car slid into the driver's-side-right tire wall catching the back end. It then spun on its nose will climbing the tire wall and ending on the corner station stand. The SCCA corner workers were sent for a run. Thank goodness I didn't hurt them!

The car is pretty well damaged. Written off? Don't know yet until we tear into it. I should know more later in the week. I was already thinking of my "next step" before the car was taken off the tire wall.

The blessing as well as a curse I have is that I do have options. Now I have to think things through and figure out what I want to do for the next three years.

The toughest part of this ordeal is the attention paid to me by so many people at the track. Most of you know my brother and I do this racing stuff together. Seeing the ashen look on his face when he came over to the crash site was tough, real tough. Then Sandi Kryder, our "race mom" was holding back tears. The biggest thing was one of the T3 racers who I don't know too, too well. But this guy (big dude, 6' 4" and all) came up and was all choked up and put his arm around me. Trust me, I am not used to this type of attention.

Then I had to call my wife. It's no fun making a phone call and starting with, "I am not hurt, I am OK." Her reply was, "What happened?" She would NOT take my word that I was OK, she needed to hear from someone else.

I made it home late in the afternoon and cut my grass. Best thing to do to get back to normal. Joe and Rhonda Gaudette are staying at our house, so we had mucho things to talk about over pizza and pop.

If the red Viper is repaired, it will take some time. If it is stripped and replaced, I can be back in action next week. I have had numerous offers to drive other people's cars (some before my car was on the flatbed) plus I have identified replacements. I just have to decide what I want to do.

Mikelly 05-25-2008 07:32 PM

Dave, Glad you made it out without injury. You're truly blessed!:cheers:

How'd Joe do?

Mike

Aardwolf 05-25-2008 07:41 PM

Glad you are OK! :sadangel:

BuckeyeZ06 05-25-2008 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mikelly (Post 1565614794)
Dave, Glad you made it out without injury. You're truly blessed!:cheers:

How'd Joe do?

Mike

Yes I am. Joe is struggling with exhaust and axle seal issues. He just returned from the track and is concerned about the car finishing tomorrow's race (this is a dual race weekend).

Olitho 05-25-2008 08:01 PM

Dave, I am sorry about your car, but like everyone else has said, I am glad you are OK.

Oli

L98Terror 05-25-2008 08:16 PM

Glad you are OK, damn that was a hit.

I know it could happen at any track but I sure don't like the ledges

Hardcorvette 05-25-2008 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by kam (Post 1565614508)
David, it hurt just to watch that. :eek: Glad you are OK.

:iagree: Good to hear you walked away from it!

USAsOnlyWay 05-25-2008 08:58 PM

Dang, glad you're ok!

Bimota Guy 05-25-2008 11:16 PM

Wow! Glad you are okay, Dave. That was some hit. Modern safety gear and cars are impressive.

I had a small meeting with Buttonwillow's tire barrier in March. Those standing nearby were more shookup than I was. The scattering tires were "impressive" I imagine. Several people helped me check the car to see if it was safe to drive, as well as get it cleaned up. Some I had just met that day. It turned out to be minor body damage only. When I went out for a "hardship lap" the corner workers were applauding. Back on the horse and all that. The car was raced the next day. The sense of community is strong in racing, even amongst people you have just met...and may only know from forums.

RogueVette 05-26-2008 10:27 AM

Holy sh*t. That was a wild ride Dave. I am so sorry. You have been very helpful to so many. Best of luck getting things back together, or with your new ride. Whatever direction you need to go.