CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   How to remove metal shavings from headers, catted midpipe, and connecting pipes? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2035687-how-to-remove-metal-shavings-from-headers-catted-midpipe-and-connecting-pipes.html)

PAUZAO 05-26-2008 09:53 PM

How to remove metal shavings from headers, catted midpipe, and connecting pipes?

Ok, I ordered Kooks headers, X pipe WITH CATS, and connecting rear pipes. The headers look great, but they have A TON of small metal shavings inside of them.

My main concern is once installed, those shavings are going to go through the CATS, and get stuck in there, thus possibly clogging the cats, and or reducing flow. If I had ordered the catless midpipe, I woul not be concerned.

Here is what I was able to do with the connecting pipes and midpipe. At first, I tried to gently vaccum the shavings, but it did not work. Then, I got my wife's swifter duster with the extender :lol: , and was able to clean the connecting pipes really good. I was able to get some from the X pipe, but not all, becasue of the shape.

My questions is with the headers, as I could not get the inside of the primaries, and such, where most of the metal shavings are located, which would go through the CATS, once installed.

My question is: Can I fill a sink with water and some degreaser, and dip the headers in the water? I figure that being 304 stainless steel, there will no isses. What do you guys think? This would work better than an air compressor.

I obviously cannot do this with the X pipe, becasue it would ruin the CATS.

'06 Quicksilver Z06 05-26-2008 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by PAUZAO (Post 1565628333)
Ok, I ordered Kooks headers, X pipe WITH CATS, and connecting rear pipes. The headers look great, but they have A TON of small metal shavings inside of them.

My main concern is once installed, those shavings are going to go through the CATS, and get stuck in there, thus possibly clogging the cats, and or reducing flow. If I had ordered the catless midpipe, I woul not be concerned.

Here is what I was able to do with the connecting pipes and midpipe. At first, I tried to gently vaccum the shavings, but it did not work. Then, I got my wife's swifter duster with the extender :lol: , and was able to clean the connecting pipes really good. I was able to get some from the X pipe, but not all, becasue of the shape.

My questions is with the headers, as I could not get the inside of the primaries, and such, where most of the metal shavings are located, which would go through the CATS, once installed.

My question is: Can I fill a sink with water and some degreaser, and dip the headers in the water? I figure that being 304 stainless steel, there will no isses. What do you guys think? This would work better than an air compressor.

I obviously cannot do this with the X pipe, becasue it would ruin the CATS.

Wouldn't worry about it.

When that car gets to operating temperature, and those shavings heat up, they won't last 30 seconds.

PAUZAO 05-26-2008 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06 (Post 1565628371)
Wouldn't worry about it.

When that car gets to operating temperature, and those shavings heat up, they won't last 30 seconds.

I thought about that, but when I looked at the honeycomb material in the CATS, I figured that they will get stuck in there. :willy: Would it be OK to dip the headers only on a sink full of water with some degreaser, and then run a hose throgh them? I am not as concerned with the metal shavings AFTER the CATS, as they will go through the Borla catback.

clydetrb 05-26-2008 10:16 PM

OMG, complain, complain, complain. How do you live with yourself :rofl: :smash: :rofl: :smash: :rofl:

03 Z-oh-6 05-26-2008 10:20 PM

I have been doing a lot of research, and the Kook's LT's primaries are short compared to the rest. I think this would be a problem with TQ. Don't mean to hi-jack the thread, PM me if you want to.

Rage@AutoBuffs 05-26-2008 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by clydetrb (Post 1565628673)
OMG, complain, complain, complain. How do you live with yourself :rofl: :smash: :rofl: :smash: :rofl:

Todd, weren't you trying to clean your cats when you went submarining????:leaving:

chevy tech 05-26-2008 10:23 PM

I have installed a bunch of Kooks stuff onmany vechiles never had a problem i would not worry about
water would not effect them just blow some compressed ait through the pipes if you want some security

PAUZAO 05-26-2008 10:30 PM

Wow, you really have been after me, huh? :rofl: It have a feeling that you are a particular vendor here registered under someone else;s profile. :yesnod:

clydetrb 05-26-2008 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by roadrage1 (Post 1565628739)
Todd, weren't you trying to clean your cats when you went submarining????:leaving:

Why of course I was :rofl: :rofl: I heard you were running a test on the effects of dirty CATS when you ran your Z through the fence!!! :lolg:

Outcome for both of us....in the shop for a while! :ack: :ack: :ack:

Moral of the story is...leave your pipes and CATS alone :rofl: :leaving:

clydetrb 05-26-2008 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by PAUZAO (Post 1565628892)
Wow, you really have been after me, huh? :rofl: It have a feeling that you are a particular vendor here registered under someone else;s profile. :yesnod:

:lol: :lol: who would that be ??? Do tell...........:toetap: :toetap: :toetap:

PAUZAO 05-26-2008 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by DitchTehFish (Post 1565628728)
I have been doing a lot of research, and the Kook's LT's primaries are short compared to the rest. I think this would be a problem with TQ. Don't mean to hi-jack the thread, PM me if you want to.

Mark, I did A LOT of research, before ordering Kooks. The issue with loss of torque are mainly with the 1 7/8 primaries. I have seen plenty of dyno graphs here on LS3's with the Kooks 1 3/4 inch primaries, and the TQ gain is awesome, with no loss in the low mid range. Remember, I had LG's on 07, and would not take them again, even if they sent me a set for free, well maybe only then I would. :rofl: But, let us not turn with thread into a header war, as you will have plenty of cheerleaders here for all brands and makes of headers vouching that their brand is better than brand "X".. :lol:

wayback 05-26-2008 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by PAUZAO (Post 1565628892)

Wrong.:nono: He ain't no vendor. He is Fleet Admrial Clyde the famous submarine explorer.:rofl: :rofl:

PAUZAO 05-26-2008 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by clydetrb (Post 1565628951)
:lol: :lol: who would that be ??? Do tell...........:toetap: :toetap: :toetap:

Well, we both know who..... :rofl: If not, let us keep the mystery alive my friend. Let us just say that we both shall have the same first name. :thumbs:

PAUZAO 05-26-2008 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by wayback (Post 1565628968)
Wrong.:nono: He ain't no vendor. He is Fleet Admrial Clyde the famous submarine explorer.:rofl: :rofl:

:cheers: :rofl: :lol:

PAUZAO 05-26-2008 10:42 PM

BTW: My only other complaint here has been the Callaway Honker LS3 being on back order for weeks.

Rage@AutoBuffs 05-26-2008 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by PAUZAO (Post 1565629104)
BTW: My only other complaint here has been the Callaway Honker LS3 being on back order for weeks.

Hope you never have to order back glass.......3 availiable in the US (total), Det, Tenn, Cal, hopefully one of them comes thru.

Moral of the story, if you Mod your car, expect setbacks and delays, fact of life!

PAUZAO 05-26-2008 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by roadrage1 (Post 1565629234)
Hope you never have to order back glass.......3 availiable in the US (total), Det, Tenn, Cal, hopefully one of them comes thru.

Moral of the story, if you Mod your car, expect setbacks and delays, fact of life!

What in the world happened to your back glass?

hulksdaddy 05-26-2008 10:53 PM

:iagree:

Krusty knows of what he speaks!

wayback 05-26-2008 10:53 PM

:willy: What mod broke your back glass? Your BIG driving shoes?:rofl: :leaving:

clydetrb 05-26-2008 10:54 PM

Dude, I have to meet you. I will be at the BG :smash: next year, April 23-25. Hope to see you there. I have an AO C6 like you, so I think I will bring my JSB Z instead :lol: :lol: :leaving: