CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Northwest (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/pacific-northwest-127/)
-   -   Warning Warning Warning on I-5 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/pacific-northwest/2036790-warning-warning-warning-on-i-5-a.html)

ValiantSailor 05-28-2008 12:37 AM

Warning Warning Warning on I-5

So wife and I are tooling along at 65 northbound on I-5 out of Portland yesterday minding our own business and the radar detector goes off but I dont sweat it and then its silent....About 20 or 30 seconds later a Chevy Impala goes roaring by,,,its dark gray and has blacked out windows.. Wife says, I think that is an unmarked LEO. Sure as guns, he goes about 1 mile and pulls over a pickup truck and his red and blue lite bar goes on in the darkened rear window.

About 15 miles down the road, we stopped at the rest stop, the scenario repeats and the state LEO goes smoking by again.

Beware, that car probably isnt the only one, but the darkened windows on a 4 door Chev Sedan is a dead giveaway as is the chirping for a few seconds as he radar guns you. That car is designed for one purpose, issuing tickets.

Be warned.

Joy of 6 05-28-2008 12:47 AM

WSP also had a black Tahoe and a blue Volvo in the area. They also have dash mounted cameras for road rage tickets

03Z06GUY 05-28-2008 01:04 AM

Yeah, they are doing some stings right around the I-5 bridge going into Portland due to the construction going on for the widening project at Delta park. Be careful going through there. There are alot of bike cops hiding out. JOY OF 6, Hi there. Very nice to meet you and talk the other day at PIR. Hopefully we can meet up again and you can take me for a spin around the track. (i am the guy with the other yellow c5z). - Damon :D

1962 corvette 05-28-2008 01:06 AM

I5 LEO Tahoe

Originally Posted by Joy of 6 (Post 1565645635)
WSP also had a black Tahoe and a blue Volvo in the area. They also have dash mounted cameras for road rage tickets

Driving north yesterday - 20 miles south of OLY - a grey Tahoe with lights has a car pulled over in southbound lane.

Big accident northbound around 2 PM yesterday also - lots of WSP action.

Arrived w/o any LEO issues -

efranzen 05-28-2008 01:30 AM

I've seen so many different types of WSP undercover vehicles that I've lost track of all the different types. You've got to be really careful too because with the tinted out windows it's extremely difficult to see the light bars inside. You can easily end up driving past ones and not realizing they are a WSP, and radar likely won't give you any warning in those instances.

Iroczlover 05-28-2008 01:57 AM

yea you have to watch those guys they are every where, There is a Dodge viper in the oly area too, Its for street racers, but there are several unmarks running around.

SUPERMAC 05-28-2008 04:39 AM

they have been super heavy in the vancouver area as well. in orchards by teh safeway and fred meyers there was a cop sitting at the light out of a vehicle with a stand and a radar going nuts. and then just a hundreds yards down the road at the les shwab were 6 cars waiting to go tearing off after people. yes you heard right... 6 cars. needless to say... i went around the trap. :)

and they have been sporting more click it or tickit commercials than should ever be put on tv. im getting so sick of seeing the same dusche bag in his retarded mountme hat.

I really wish that people would take action and step up in an effort to lessen the amount of highway patrol cars running around. its just getting crazy now days. and its not even about saving lives or helping people. its just another way to get money from peoples pockets.

c4cruiser 05-28-2008 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by SUPERMAC (Post 1565646410)
I really wish that people would take action and step up in an effort to lessen the amount of highway patrol cars running around. its just getting crazy now days. and its not even about saving lives or helping people. its just another way to get money from peoples pockets.

So by staying at the speed limit or maybe just a couple miles over (either on the Interstates or state/county roads), the chances are that folks will get to keep the money that's in their wallet... Sounds like a simple thing to do. :yesnod:

The only way we will see fewer police cars on the road is when drivers start to understand that speeding or using poor driving habits is what brings the police out in numbers.

One thing I have noticed is that more and more people are driving not only faster but more agressively compared to only a few years ago. There are higher accident rates in certain areas and it is due to people who drive without thinking, drive too agressively, or maybe even caring about their actions. I see it every day.

efranzen 05-28-2008 10:20 AM

If you try and drive 60 mph in the Seattle/Tacoma area on I-5 it seems like you are the one who becomes a serious hazard. Even if you get all the way in to the far right of the 5 lanes, people will be driving right on your rear while all the other lanes are flying past you at 10 to 15 mph faster.

Or even worse, try and drive 40 mph on Aurora avenue between the Aurora bridge and the Battery street tunnel. The normal flow of traffic there is literally 60 mph!

dreamer2468 05-28-2008 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by c4cruiser (Post 1565647591)
So by staying at the speed limit or maybe just a couple miles over (either on the Interstates or state/county roads), the chances are that folks will get to keep the money that's in their wallet... Sounds like a simple thing to do. :yesnod:

The only way we will see fewer police cars on the road is when drivers start to understand that speeding or using poor driving habits is what brings the police out in numbers.

One thing I have noticed is that more and more people are driving not only faster but more agressively compared to only a few years ago. There are higher accident rates in certain areas and it is due to people who drive without thinking, drive too agressively, or maybe even caring about their actions. I see it every day.

:iagree: I also think there should be a saturation of people talking on thier cell phones, driving with one hand, in heavy traffic. That is what they made bluetooth for, so USE IT!
I have seen them brake at the last min, because of not focusing on traffic, swerving, changing lanes without checking thier mirrors, and many other near misses. Fortunately, so far, have not seen an actual accident because of this, but I am sure I will, as I drive I 5 every day.:willy: :willy: :willy:

PhyscoVette 05-28-2008 11:40 AM

I had one play with me a couple of years ago heading to Ritzville on I90. He would pass me then I would pass him then we were both getting on it up the hill he finally decided it was enuff when we were both going about 125 up the hill into Ritzville. Boy I about @#&% a brick when he rolled the window down and flipped his lights on. I dont htink I would have played with him if he haddent been driving a new TA WS6. At least he only pulled me over to give me a warning and BS about the vette!

dachevy 05-28-2008 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by dreamer2468 (Post 1565648521)
:iagree: I also think there should be a saturation of people talking on thier cell phones, driving with one hand, in heavy traffic. That is what they made bluetooth for, so USE IT!
I have seen them brake at the last min, because of not focusing on traffic, swerving, changing lanes without checking thier mirrors, and many other near misses. Fortunately, so far, have not seen an actual accident because of this, but I am sure I will, as I drive I 5 every day.:willy: :willy: :willy:

Yep, in July WA state the driver can't use a cellular telephone unless they have a bluetooth device...finally..too many idiots driving around with one hand on the cellular phone and totally ignoring their driving or who is around them... :bs:

c4cruiser 05-28-2008 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by dachevy (Post 1565655612)
Yep, in July WA state the driver can't use a cellular telephone unless they have a bluetooth device...finally..too many idiots driving around with one hand on the cellular phone and totally ignoring their driving or who is around them... :bs:

The no text-messaging part of the law took effect in January. So far, I still see about the same number of (idiot) drivers texting while they are driving.

Because the upcoming hands-free law is a secondary offense, you have to be stopped for a primary offense in order to get a cell phone ticket. You won't be pulled over for only talking on a hand-held cell phone. But it's still a $101 fine in addition to any ticket you get because you got stopped in the first place for something else.

As far as having to deal with people talking on a cell and not paying attention to driving, I submit that the Nathan K5LA is the solution (try the "sample 2") :yesnod:

ValiantSailor 05-28-2008 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by c4cruiser (Post 1565647591)

To be honest, we didn't drive over the speed limit as we were trying to keep fuel costs at a level we can stand, 65 seemed like a good sweet spot. The average traffic speed seemed to be down, I'm sure there were alot like us..conserving fuel.

Once again, the chirp and the tinted out windows is a give away.

03Z06GUY 05-28-2008 10:47 PM

Oh God guys... don't get me started with traffic and bad drivers. I work for the Dept. of Trans. and i could tell you stories that would make your head spin.

SUPERMAC 05-28-2008 11:27 PM

maybe cops should spend the millions of dollars a year they make from speeding tickets on better drivers education courses instead of getting fancy new radar guns, faster cars and low key gumballs.

oh wait... then they wouldnt make any money. stupid me. lol

efranzen 05-28-2008 11:53 PM

I thought the original purpose of the purchase of all the undercover vehicles a few years back was to combat road rage incidents.

SUPERMAC 05-29-2008 03:18 AM

yea thats a good cover isnt it. tell you one thing... use them for whatever the **** they want. and not to mention the new term "road rage" is being tossed around like a $3 hooker now days. its seems that if you get yanked doing evern a hair over the limit... its a rage incident. or if you change lanes more then 2 times in less then 10 seconds... rage... blah blah bull****.

i miss the good ol days... when i had to actually run someone off the road, or get out of my car and beat on someone to get busted for road rage. now... all i have to do is get caught driving and let them decide what story to make up.

astrolite 05-29-2008 04:39 AM

What I never understood is how a modern sports car has to "obey" the same speed limit as a 4000lb SUV. The ability to brake and maneuver versus the two is quite different.

c4cruiser 05-29-2008 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by astrolite (Post 1565661890)
What I never understood is how a modern sports car has to "obey" the same speed limit as a 4000lb SUV. The ability to brake and maneuver versus the two is quite different.

I guess the reason why is that there are (unfortunately) some drivers of sports cars (or sports compacts) out there that have the same basic low level of intelligence and driving skills of those few who drive "4000lb SUV's". There are times when the performance characteristics of a given vehicle doesn't seem to matter..... :crazy:

It is those times when the LEO's need to appear.

"Road rage" is a big issues especially in the Everett-Seattle-Tacoma corridor. Mabe it's not "rage" but the driving habits of some people seem to show little regard for those around them. High speeds, multiple lane changes, accelerating to close a gap so other drivers cannot change lanes or merge into traffic, all play a part in why we see or have to put with crackdowns.

The police get tons of complaints about agressive driving. Listen to a scanner sometime around the rush hours. :yesnod: