CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   Insuring a midyear Corvette (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/2041674-insuring-a-midyear-corvette.html)

Dr L-88 06-02-2008 05:01 PM

Insuring a midyear Corvette

Has anyone had any experience, good or bad, with insuring their C2 Corvette with Safeco Ins. Co.?

jdurhan 06-02-2008 05:58 PM

Can't give you info on safeco, however I have received excellent servi:thumbs: ce and prices from Hagerty.

crw41 06-02-2008 06:25 PM

Haggerty.

60K agreed value

3 flatbed tows covered if needed

$462/year

Dr L-88 06-02-2008 06:31 PM

Safeco is offering 1 yr coverage ($50K value each {a little low}) for my 64 and 67 for $285 / year. Not one, but both for $285! Almost sounds too good tobe true. That's why I was asking for anyone's past experiences w/Safeco. I am currently with American Collectors for $597for both annually. Hmmmmmmmmm. To change or not to change? That is the question.

Snake Pilot 06-02-2008 07:00 PM

How many miles do they limit you to? Are there any other restrictions on how you can use the car?
Tim

Dr L-88 06-02-2008 07:36 PM

None that I am aware of, but I am going to talk to my agent tomorrow. Since I told them that I drive the 64 about 100 miles and the 67 maybe 500 miles annually, perhaps that is the reason for the "seemingly" unbelievable rate.

CaveCreekChump 06-02-2008 08:37 PM

SAFECO is one of the big national companies

As far as I know, they are a very reputable company.

While researching collector car coverage, SAFECO never floated to the surface, which leads me to believe that they offer regular coverage like I have from Auto Owners Ins.

That means none of the pesky restrictions on driving or garaging, to which I object. However, in the event of a loss, they will ask for proof that the stated value you have insured it for is (was) accurate.

The collector car companies settle that up front, the standard insurers do it at time of claim.

jdk971 06-02-2008 08:37 PM

check with your reg car insurance company also. i pay around 550 for the
66 vette and a 66 buick skylark gs. each car does have a 4000 mile a year limit. but they never ask the mileage. jim

67-427ci 06-02-2008 09:26 PM

The only restrictions on my Hagerty policy are ..... you must have a daily driver vehicle & when at home your classic car must be kept in a locked garage. When on the road they say "have a good time & call us if you need help". There are no mileage restrictions. In the past 12 months I have driven my Coupe over 15,000 miles. I called them prior to the last two "big" cruises to advise them where I was going. This included a 1,500 mile cruise across Canada (they sent me a Canadian insurance card). $90,000.00 agreed value is $630.00 annually. When my windshield cracked from a stone last year, they sent me a check in about a week.
Roy :thumbs:

macdarren 06-03-2008 01:19 AM

I don't have any info to share but would very much like to hear more about this less expensive possibility. As it happens I am looking to get a new policy this week. I have looked into a couple of the other popular specialty policies which run about 2x this safeco price.

Please keep us updated on what you find.

Thanks
Darren

66rag427 06-03-2008 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by crw41 (Post 1565723539)
Haggerty.

60K agreed value

$462/year

State Farm 60 K agreed value 1k deductible 3000 miles per year all the bells and whistles $140.00 per year. Under their classic policy.

I went thru this same thing on another site so before you start declaring it can't be true, call a good agent that knows about S F classic plan and get a quote. Then with all the money you will save you can send me to dinner.

ctjackster 06-03-2008 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by 66rag427 (Post 1565735425)
State Farm 60 K agreed value 1k deductible 3000 miles per year all the bells and whistles $140.00 per year. Under their classic policy.

I went thru this same thing on another site so before you start declaring it can't be true, call a good agent that knows about S F classic plan and get a quote. Then with all the money you will save you can send me to dinner.

yeeoow. All crw41 did was state who he insured with, and for how much. here, let me try it again, and see if you get yer panties in a twist [again]:

I insure my 65 Corvette with Hagerty.

I have an AGREED VALUE of 60,000

My current annual premium is $370 (plus I choose to pay $24 for membership in the "hagerty network")

I have no mileage limitations

Hagerty has an excellent reputation for claims handling in our Corvette Community, which is equally important to me.

[I offer no opinion on State Farm, since I don't insure with them and don't have a copy of thier policy handy to confirm the scope of coverage they offer.]

ironarms 06-03-2008 05:06 PM

don't forget your age and geographical location play into the price also
I am 38 years old, live in Pa. 1966 vert agreed value of 50K . it is 520.00 with my regular carrier nationwide mutual and is 350.00 with haggerty

firstgear 06-03-2008 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by crw41 (Post 1565723539)
Haggerty.

60K agreed value

$462/year

I had to dump Haggerty this year. The price I got for insuring the '37 Ford was $1500 a year. Found another insurer that was $750 for the '37 (agreed value $90k). Haggerty said it was because of the custom paint job on the car, any damage would require a complete new paint job. Haggerty was competitive on my Corvettes with the new insurer but I moved them all. I have Grundy now. The other Corvettes are my 60 (agreed value $75k), 63SWC (agreed value $50k), 64 coupe (agreed value $40k). The 3 Corvettes cost me about $750 total a year.

They are stored in a locked garage with a monitored alarm system. That was taken into account when the policy was set.

Silver '65 06-03-2008 06:36 PM

As an attorney, I sue SafeCo all the time. When I get a case that involves the, I don't even bother sending a settlement request letter, I just file suit, because that is the only way they are going to pay.

They are one of the worst insurance companies out there when it comes to paying claims reasonably and fairly, in my opinion.

I pay $275/year for a 50/100, agreed value policy through American National. They just add it as a second car, with only 2 requirements: no more than 5K miles/year, and keep it in a locked garage.

I've made three claims through them for various things, all of which were my fault, and I've never had an issue with them.

Viet Nam Vett 06-03-2008 07:26 PM

I Use "Grundy World Wide" Insure for 75K Agreed Value No mIlage Limit.

http://www.grundy.com/

There a bit more costly ..but not much.

Only The Best For You
AM Best Ratings
Grundy Worldwide is first and foremost in Collector Vehicle Insurance.

In most states, Grundy's Collector Vehicle Program has been underwritten by the member insurers the A++ rated Chubb Group of Insurance Companies, and now an enhanced insurance product is offered through newly-added, A+ rated Philadelphia Insurance Company.

In Massachusetts, South Carolina and other special circumstances Grundy uses United States Liabilities Insurance. U.S.L.I. benefits from an A++ rating and reputation.

Grundy Worldwide also turns to A++ rated American International Group when insuring items through our Special Client services.

Grundy's carriers claims settlement satisfaction ratings are among the highest in the industry. Trained representatives work hard to achieve a settlement that is swift, equitable, and trouble free.

Grundy

CaveCreekChump 06-03-2008 09:41 PM

That's what I'm talking about!

Originally Posted by Silver '65 (Post 1565739749)
They just add it as a second car, with only 2 requirements: no more than 5K miles/year, and keep it in a locked garage.

I don't like restrictions such as these because, as a longtime insurance dude, I know how violations of those rules may be used to weasel out of a claim. Not always, but the possibility exists and I like to stack the deck in my favor whenever possible.

My goal in life is to never again own a car that will be emissions tested in Arizona OR Illinois. My '65 Roadster and '67 GTO are insured just like a new car would be: no locked garage, no mileage restrictions.

The '66 Impala SS and '50 Jeepster will join the fleet under the same insurance arrangement.

99mallett 06-03-2008 11:34 PM

Safeco Antique Auto Policy
1964 Corvette Convertible
Agreed value = $72,000.00
$500K/$500K Liability
$100K Property damage
Uninsured/underinsured $100K/$500K
Comprehensive Deductable $250 (up to $72K)
Collision Deductible $500

6 month premium= $259.10

I carry high liability values as required by my Umbrella Policy, and I think that just over $500/year is very reasonable.

66rag427 06-06-2008 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by ctjackster (Post 1565736611)
yeeoow. All crw41 did was state who he insured with, and for how much. here, let me try it again, and see if you get yer panties in a twist [again]:

I insure my 65 Corvette with Hagerty.

I have an AGREED VALUE of 60,000

My current annual premium is $370 (plus I choose to pay $24 for membership in the "hagerty network")

I have no mileage limitations

Hagerty has an excellent reputation for claims handling in our Corvette Community, which is equally important to me.

[I offer no opinion on State Farm, since I don't insure with them and don't have a copy of thier policy handy to confirm the scope of coverage they offer.]

No twist here. Since you are the one who wears them that would make you an expert on twisted panties. I was just trying to save you guys some money. You are, however, free to waste your money as you please.

ctjackster 06-06-2008 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by 66rag427 (Post 1565781615)
No twist here. Since you are the one who wears them that would make you an expert on twisted panties. I was just trying to save you guys some money. You are, however, free to waste your money as you please.

:rofl:

while I have been known as a connoisseur of sorts of women's panties and what lies beneath (at least I was until I met my wife - she brought that aspect of my life to a close), I haven't taken to actually WEARING them (not yet, anyway ;) )