CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   The C7 as a diesel & with more HP - it could happen... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/2048866-the-c7-as-a-diesel-and-with-more-hp-it-could-happen.html)

webdzynes 06-10-2008 10:10 AM

The C7 as a diesel & with more HP - it could happen...

Check this out:
http://gmy.news.yahoo.com/v/8248992

danl72 06-10-2008 10:15 AM

Interesting.

not08crmanymore 06-10-2008 10:55 AM

GM is not AUDI!:D

FloydSummerOf68 06-10-2008 11:01 AM

An effective diesel setup should help it to get great milage.

I would be all for it.

I never understood why the current LS vettes didnt atleast get DoD to shut off cylinders when you're cruising at hwy speeds.

FRANKENSTEIN4x42000 06-10-2008 11:01 AM

Why do we keep wasting time talking about the fuel mileage the C6 gets? it great it's better then the new Cobalt my wife drives, this isn't the car that needs diesel.

FloydSummerOf68 06-10-2008 11:02 AM

Sure, it gets good milage for what it is.

I get 32-33 at 65-70mph...but I wouldnt mind getting 40+mpg either :)

I find it very hard to believe that your C6 gets better milage than the cobalt...it's either broken or your wife is WOT at all times.

larvette 06-10-2008 11:07 AM

Hey! Maybe we could put a 5th wheel set-up in the cargo area and I could use my vette to pull a camper! :crazy: :lolg:

C6NRED 06-10-2008 11:22 AM

Dual TURBO Diesel Corvette-----now you're talkin'..............I can just see a Corvette taking off in a cloud of tire (and diesel exhaust) smoke....NOT! Diesels are noisy, smelly, oily, rattle traps and do NOT belong under the hood of any sports car, GM or Audi.........

MN_Corvette 06-10-2008 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68 (Post 1565835828)
I never understood why the current LS vettes didnt atleast get DoD to shut off cylinders when you're cruising at hwy speeds.

Supposedly it was tried. With the transmission in the rear the Corvette has a long driveshaft that caused problems. They weren't able to dampen out the vibrations.

Wayne O 06-10-2008 11:33 AM

You won't ever find a diesel under the hood of my Corvette. Even if the C7 came with a diesel engine (and if I bought one) I'd put a different engine in it.

CorvetteRL 06-10-2008 11:40 AM

WILD :thumbs:

Originally Posted by webdzynes (Post 1565835097)

Don LT-1 06-10-2008 11:47 AM

It better get a lot better mileage when diesel fuel in
Jersey is running almost $1.00 more per gallon.

FloydSummerOf68 06-10-2008 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by C6NRED (Post 1565836098)
Dual TURBO Diesel Corvette-----now you're talkin'..............I can just see a Corvette taking off in a cloud of tire (and diesel exhaust) smoke....NOT! Diesels are noisy, smelly, oily, rattle traps and do NOT belong under the hood of any sports car, GM or Audi.........

Have you been in a NEW diesel car that is built well? Audi or Mercedes? They are not the diesels of days past.

Originally Posted by Wayne O (Post 1565836256)
You won't ever find a diesel under the hood of my Corvette. Even if the C7 came with a diesel engine (and if I bought one) I'd put a different engine in it.

That is such an insane statement to make. "I'd never put a more efficient engine that makes more power under the hood of my sports car"

Just because it's a diesel (I know, scary) and you aren't used to it doesn't mean it isnt a better option. I bet you also wouldnt buy a hydrogen powered corvette or electric corvette, etc.... ?

:lol:

FloydSummerOf68 06-10-2008 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by MN_Corvette (Post 1565836200)
Supposedly it was tried. With the transmission in the rear the Corvette has a long driveshaft that caused problems. They weren't able to dampen out the vibrations.

Interesting...I didnt know that.

Thanks for the tip...now when it comes up in conversation with some of my buddies we'll have something else to talk about :)

webdzynes 06-10-2008 12:22 PM

I took particular notice of the "doubling of horsepower"...I'm a long way from an engineer but doubling of mileage and doubling of HP on just an initial prototype does interest me. Imagine a hybrid using this technology combined with that of the Tesla electric and now you're talking!

Patman 06-10-2008 01:49 PM

A diesel engine'd Vette would probably be a ton of fun to drive, just think of the massive amount of torque it would have! And diesel engines make about 90% of their peak torque right off idle too. So the car would be an absolute blast to drive around town. Getting 50 MPG on the highway would be pretty sweet too.

I'm also open to the idea of future Corvettes having a hybrid motor in them, as long as it was still performance oriented. For instance, it could come with a 250hp gas engine along with an extra 200hp boost from an electric motor. The beauty of that is the fact that electric motors produce all of their torque instantly. So just like a diesel, it too would be a ton of fun to drive around town!

I know both of these ideas sound sacreligious to a lot of enthusiasts, but I'll pose this question to you. If you had the choice between no Corvette at all, or a Corvette with a diesel or hybrid engine instetad, I'm sure most people would choose to see the Corvette live on with one of those alternative powerplants!

Modshack 06-10-2008 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by C6NRED (Post 1565836098)

You are apparently stilll stuck in the 1980's.....

C6NRED 06-10-2008 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Modshack (Post 1565838624)
You are apparently stilll stuck in the 1980's.....

Well thanks for the affirmation..........but have you heard a brand new Dodge pickup pull up next to you recently? I can't stand either the noise or the smell.......I can't imagine have a Corvette smell that way with the top off or the windows down...................ick! And of course that really attractive oily fuel that turns to sludge during a freezing winter here? No thanks.......

jschindler 06-10-2008 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by 08crm (Post 1565835734)
GM is not AUDI!:D

Even Audi is having trouble working out the details of a road going version of the car. They are trying to figure out how to deal with a variety of issues - mostly boiling down to the added weight of the car, and some packaging contraints centered around not just the engine, but drivetrain components that can handle 750 lb ft of torque.

Vetteinplano 06-10-2008 02:54 PM

It's all about the Corporate Average Fuel economy!

They will have to either eliminate the poor performers or do something drastic with them (Trucks/SUV's) and make the high mileage vehicles even higher MPG.

Hummer H2 won't be around much longer in it's current configuration, and several others like the TBSS, Gas powered 3/4 and 1 ton trucks

Lighter vehicles will prevail, like the Corvette, but with 25% more MPG.