CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   The C7 as a diesel & with more HP - it could happen... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/2048866-the-c7-as-a-diesel-and-with-more-hp-it-could-happen.html)

Jimmy G. 06-10-2008 02:56 PM

If it happens, maybe we can get a group of diesel "Vettes together, slap on some snow chains, and go do "Ice Road Corvettes" on the History channel.

sirploppy 06-10-2008 02:57 PM

4K redline... No thanks. :leaving:

Oh, and don't forget urine... er... I mean urea injection!

webdzynes 06-10-2008 03:16 PM

One way or another, I do believe serious changes in the next 4-5 years are coming. Hopefully the general 'fun" aspects of the car will only change for the better. We'll see...

AutoCutter 06-10-2008 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by webdzynes (Post 1565835097)

In the end, I think diesel will be the only realistic big mileage alternative for the gas engine. The diesel will allow the Vette to be a performance road car capable of long distance runs that most of us desire. Most alternative's may be able to pony up the performance, but not the mileage (read distance.) Of course, I would expect the C7 to have a gas motor as I don't expect the sky to fall in the next few years:crazy: .

RWSjr 06-10-2008 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by jschindler (Post 1565839184)
Even Audi is having trouble working out the details of a road going version of the car. They are trying to figure out how to deal with a variety of issues - mostly boiling down to the added weight of the car, and some packaging contraints centered around not just the engine, but drivetrain components that can handle 750 lb ft of torque.

Ahh yes, but WE have driveline components ready for 750ftlbs. ala ZR-1 Now only to build up the A6's..... 1/4 mi. guess with that kind of torque??? Call your Broker, get tire stocks while it's still cheap.:lol:

pmj341 06-10-2008 03:49 PM

Guy's relax, I live in Sebring, Fl, the 12 hr of Sebring endurance race is held here, 2 years ago the Audi team brought their deisel prototype, they had done thier homework, the car is so quiet when it goes by at 160 mph all you hear is the wind and a little of the turbo, it does NOT SMOKE!!!!!!, the car is ungodly fast and yet it is detuned, so as not to run and hide from the rest of the prototype and gt classes.
I would deffinately buy a diesel vette if it would perform anything like the Audi!!!!!!!!!!!!
this year's race in march was also impressive both times they have run the 12 hrs, the following day they put them back on the track without any maintinance and run another 12hrs just to make sure the find all the bugs for the 24hr at Lemans, so yes I'm very impressed!!!!!!!!:eek:
and reliable!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbs:

djfullshred 06-10-2008 03:52 PM

diesel fuel is more expensive than premium gas. For that reason alone, I would never buy a car with a diesel motor.

RogerC6 06-10-2008 04:00 PM

Its coming

Some time ago I brought this up, and I was surprice that most are living in the 80's when GM converted gas to diesel, I think it was done on purpose, so people will stick to gas, diesel on high performance cars and on the Vette will be here sooner than later:cheers:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1993877

pmj341 06-10-2008 04:01 PM

do you remember when diesel was a lot cheaper than gasoline??
and do you know how it is made???
is it a byproduct of something, another fuel perhaps??
well the oil companys are just getting greedy!!!!!!!!

jschindler 06-10-2008 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by pmj341 (Post 1565840289)
....and do you know how it is made???.....

Let me guess, it's made out of monkey piss :crazy:

Was that a trick question, or do you really want to know?

C6Rocks! 06-10-2008 09:01 PM

Diesel & electric - interesting concept!

'06 Quicksilver Z06 06-10-2008 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by jschindler (Post 1565840720)
Let me guess, it's made out of monkey piss ...

:party: Ding ding ding ding ding :party: ......we have a winner folks. :rofl:

Damn.....and I was going to say that. :sad:

PowerLabs 06-10-2008 10:20 PM

*Yawns*... It could happen? The Corvette doesn't even have overhead cams because there is not enough space with the low hood line; putting a much larger, much heavier diesel engine there is not happening.
I think a smaller engine, direct injection engine is a much more likely proposition, perhaps with forced induction.

alienranch 06-10-2008 10:30 PM

I don't care if it runs on gas or diesel as long as it flies like in the Jetson's

Rocketmanwpb 06-10-2008 10:59 PM

Some of the European manufacturers like Audi and Peugeot are running diesels in LMP1. Audi won at Sebring with diesel for about three years straight and at Le Mans for several years until Peugeot won last year with a diesel.

danl72 06-10-2008 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by djfullshred (Post 1565840164)
diesel fuel is more expensive than premium gas. For that reason alone, I would never buy a car with a diesel motor.

:iagree:

rollin18 06-11-2008 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by C6NRED (Post 1565836098)
Dual TURBO Diesel Corvette-----now you're talkin'..............I can just see a Corvette taking off in a cloud of tire (and diesel exhaust) smoke....NOT! Diesels are noisy, smelly, oily, rattle traps and do NOT belong under the hood of any sports car, GM or Audi.........

you sound like my DAD!! (very old)
Its that mentality that prevents real companies that know how to make a excellent diesel from bringing them to the US.

you are stuck in a time when diesels WERE the way you are describing.
NOW times are-a-changin'

diesels are MORE powerful, BETTER mpg, much higher TQ, far more dependable, and more durable, quiet, and ultra clean with the new ultra low sulfer diesel standard. and up until recently much cheaper to fuel..
all the major makers have diesels in other countries.
why do you think the Military uses diesel so much??

you need to do allot more research before you go spouting off junk like that. Have you even researched the Audi R8 TDi?? or other diesel racers?

i wouldn't expect the average vette buyer to want a diesel in a vette.

but you are just ignorant in this area.:smash:

shopdog 06-11-2008 02:00 AM

is it a byproduct of something, another fuel perhaps??
well the oil companys are just getting greedy!!!!!!!!

Yes, I remember when diesel was cheaper than gasoline, then Bush Sr put an extra federal fuel tax on diesel.

I also know how it is made. It is the remnant after the lighter fractions of crude oil (gasoline and naptha) are distilled off in the refinery.

Now modern refineries can crack heavier fractions to make more gasoline. So they have a choice, sell the heavy fraction as diesel and heating oil, or crack it and sell it as gasoline. It takes energy to crack the heavy fraction to make more gasoline, so it isn't economical to do when gas is cheap, but as gas prices rise, it starts to make sense to crack more heavy fractions to gas, leaving less to be sold as diesel. That drives the price of diesel up too.

pmj341 06-11-2008 07:49 AM

Yes and we a have a winner!!!!!!!!!!!!!:party:
It's all about making MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbs: :thumbs:

FloydSummerOf68 06-11-2008 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by djfullshred (Post 1565840164)

So getting 25+% better fuel economy isnt worth paying 15% more?

The added cost of diesel does NOT negate the increased milage that is possible in any way. :thumbs: