CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   Can bad gas cap in my 91 be the cause of the gas fumes iam smelling? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/2054888-can-bad-gas-cap-in-my-91-be-the-cause-of-the-gas-fumes-iam-smelling.html)

boonie 06-17-2008 11:34 AM

Can bad gas cap in my 91 be the cause of the gas fumes iam smelling?

my mechanic is telling me that the gas fumes that iam smelling in my 91 corvette are being caused by a bad gas cap, is that possible? now my mechanic didn't use a pressure gauge to check the gas psi nor did he check the voltage on the fuel injectors "i think that the 19 yr old injectorse are bad" but he did do a through inspection and he saw no evidence of any gas leaks and thus concluded that my gas fumes must be produced by the bad gas cap "he said that the rubber gasket surrounding the gas cap had deterated causing the fumes" my question can you determine the state of fuel injectors without checking the fuel pressure, without taking the voltage of each injector solenoid? and even if theres no evidence of fuel leakage can my fuel injectors still be the cause of thses gas fumes that iam smelling?

Redeasysport 06-17-2008 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by boonie (Post 1565932575)
my mechanic is telling me that the gas fumes that iam smelling in my 91 corvette are being caused by a bad gas cap, is that possible? he saw no evidence of any gas leaks and thus concluded that my gas fumes must be produced by the bad gas cap "he said that the rubber gasket surrounding the gas cap had deterated causing the fumes"

Yes it is possible get a new one and find out.

Originally Posted by boonie (Post 1565932575)
my question can you determine the state of fuel injectors without checking the fuel pressure, without taking the voltage of each injector solenoid? and even if theres no evidence of fuel leakage can my fuel injectors still be the cause of thses gas fumes that iam smelling?

No you cannot "guess" the injectors are bad and I doubt you would be smelling them.

Randy93 06-17-2008 12:39 PM

Open your hood when you smell the fumes and see if you smell it there, also not likely, but possible, you canister is leaking or clogged.

Slalom4me 06-17-2008 10:59 PM

Where is the fuel smell most noticable and under what conditions?

The fuel lines for the L98 in your '91 consist of sections of hose and
sections of steel tubing. Of particular interest are the hose sections that
provide a transition from the hard lines along the frame (ahead of the
filter) to the hard lines that rise up to the fuel rail from the lower front
passenger side of the engine block. There are also hose sections ahead
of the differential and at the top of the tank under the cosmetic plastic
panel that the filler neck rises through.

The car is now nearly 18 yrs old. If you can smell fuel, then my vote is
that you should carefully check each of the sections of rubber hose in
the supply side and in the return side to ensure that the hose is not
weathered so badly that leaks are occuring.

VtVette's thread from last year might be of interest:
At the very least, consider carrying a meaningful fire extinguisher.

Slalom4me 06-17-2008 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Slalom4me (Post 1565942968)
At the very least, consider carrying a meaningful fire extinguisher.

Some thoughts on extinguishers were shared in the following thread
from '05

Lilred87 06-18-2008 09:13 PM

Yes, The gas fumes you are smelling is comming from the gas cap. I had the same problem. I have been smelling fumes and chasing ghosts under the engine for at least a year. The smell seems to come from the engine but it goes away after about a minute and you can't find it again. Turned out to be a bad cap. 8 bucks, problem solved

pmihaltian 06-19-2008 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Randy93 (Post 1565933435)
Open your hood when you smell the fumes and see if you smell it there, also not likely, but possible, you canister is leaking or clogged.

:iagree:

89Corvette6spdFX3 06-19-2008 11:32 AM

If you really want to check for leaky injectors, turn the ignitionkey to the on position which will pressurize the system. Wait about 20-30 minutes then pull and check the spark plugs. If one is wet and it smells like gas, you have a leaky injector. This is straight from Kilebrew's mouth. This can cause clogged and bad catalytic converters which could cause loss of power.

I'd check all the easy stuff listed above first. Good luck.