CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   How Much does Original Paint add to Value of C3 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/2078113-how-much-does-original-paint-add-to-value-of-c3.html)

stevekk 07-14-2008 02:04 PM

How Much does Original Paint add to Value of C3

I started the thread...Does your C3 have Original Paint.

Now I am just wondering, what do you think the Original Paint would add to the value of your C3 if you were to sell.
Or if you were buying, how much more would you be willing to pay for Original paint.

For one thing, you would know the car had never been wrecked, no bodywork and etc.
Surely It would have to add some value to your car....:D

jim2527 07-14-2008 03:09 PM

I dont think original paint adds much if anything. If the paints original but dull and oxidized it may take away value.

Original color on the other hand adds value.

early shark 07-14-2008 03:36 PM

Stevekk,

Original paint is very useful and certainly a plus, when it comes to acquiring a Corvette. I've owned 8 '70 to '72's all but 2 were repaints, when I bought them. The 2 Corvettes I have now are both original paint cars. I like knowing that there aren't any surprises under that paint. I like knowing there are no replacement panels, that all the bonding seams are factory finish.

7T1vette 07-14-2008 04:22 PM

Original paint only adds value if it is in very good condition...or if it is in good condition and the car is completely un-restored (and a candidate for awards as 'all original'). Otherwise, a nice new paint job is worth substantially more.

Buzzardz_vette 07-14-2008 04:25 PM

Definitely makes a difference when you go to repaint. At least the paint guy told me that factory paint can be painted over if in good shape and you get a warranty (there are no surprises under it). If you have had it repainted already, most won't warranty it unless you remove the old paint first so they can see whats under it.

stinger12 07-14-2008 04:40 PM

I don't think it really adds any extra value. However, not having original paint can reduce the value of a car. Actually, I guess it kind of does add value then! :crazy: :lol:

Alan 71 07-14-2008 04:51 PM

I think 7T1vette sums it up pretty well.
Regards,
Alan

PS: Look at the pictures 'War Bonnet' posts of his 71 BB. I think it has fabulous original paint!!!

Red70vette 07-14-2008 06:02 PM

Original paint in good condition adds value. It is very difficult to find 35+ year old paint in good condition. That would mean that the car was very well taken care of which is always a big plus. Original paint in poor condition means you have to consider the cost of a repaint in your purchase price thereby decreasing it.

Someone stated that original paint is good to paint over. You have got to be nuts!!! First of all you should not paint over old paint factory or not. Least of all 35+ year old paint. You are asking for a disaster warranty or no warranty. If you paint you need to strip off all the old paint and primer and start from a fresh canvas if you want a first class job. MAACO scuffs the old paint and paints over it. Remember you get what you pay for.

Easy Mike 07-15-2008 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by 7T1vette (Post 1566300796)
...Original paint only adds value if it is in very good condition...or if it is in good condition and the car is completely un-restored (and a candidate for awards as 'all original'). Otherwise, a nice new paint job is worth substantially more....

:iagree:

If I'm buying, original paint is a turn on for me, regardless of condition, BUT a repaint in the correct color is also nice. Early in the process, I begin to lose interest in a car with a color change. Add other modifications I don't particularly like/want, and I'm walking away.

:)

fauxrs2 07-15-2008 09:10 AM

I think a better question is how much does non-original subtract....original doesnt ADD value it is the benchmark..

jw72 07-15-2008 09:14 AM

When I bought I went with orginal paint. It's only original once. That said for me it is documentation. If there are pictures of the car during the paint proccess (stripped) and being painted that has value to me. I alway wonder what are they hiding. :cheers:

Rowdy Rat 07-15-2008 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Easy Mike (Post 1566309898)
If I'm buying, original paint is a turn on for me, regardless of condition.

That's about all I buy... Original paint (regardless of condition) or completely stripped. I put a large premium on unhit cars and original paint is a generally a byproduct of that criteria.

I find that mechanical issues (even major ones) can be addressed much easier than trying to make damaged or repainted (or both) car look "right" again.

Regards,

Chris Farrer 07-15-2008 09:51 AM

I repainted mine in two pack. It's a a lot hardier paint and should last a long time. We were careful to put an original style finish on, that is an orange peel effect. I don't like the smooth/mirror finishes on early cars they were not painted that well in the first place.
:thumbs:

JungleCat 07-15-2008 10:26 AM

I bought my car when it was originally silver and could have sold it for more than I bought it for after having it painted black. Depends on the buyer.

Mr76Vette 10-06-2009 11:15 PM

I am in the same dilemma with paint. I have a 1976 Corvette Stingray in original condition. Mine has original dark Brown paint with light cracking in the clear. Color sanded with 2000 and it buffed out very smooth but paint has original blotches in some spots.

I am torn if I should paint original BROWN or go a popular color like red or silver.

This car is untouched and stock original condition. Has the L-82 High Output 350 never been touched and has 70k original miles. No rust issues any wrecks or body work. Interior has been updated and is in good condition. Car has AC that works great. All gauges and lights work.

Any ideas on value now vs. after I have painted original color or popular color?

What should I do?

7T1vette 10-07-2009 09:15 AM

I think some responders on this thread are confusing "original paint" with "original paint color". These are two entirely different issues.

And, if you get into the "color" issue, is the paint a single-stage paint [which was standard on all St.Louis-built cars] or a 2-stage paint with a clear coat? Personally, I favor the single stage paint for its authenticity...but that doesn't make much sense if the car is going to be used as a 'driver'.

nichboy 10-07-2009 09:32 AM

How can you tell if your paint is original. The seller told me it was but how can i verify it.

71 Green 454 10-07-2009 09:54 AM

Doesn't original factory paint, like on my '71, cause a deduction for the amount of a new paint job? 5-10K?
Wouldn't a restored Corvette always be more desirable and sell for more money than one that is all original but still looks good?

Mike Ward 10-07-2009 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Mr76Vette (Post 1571737443)
I am in the same dilemma with paint. I have a 1976 Corvette Stingray in original condition. Mine has original dark Brown paint with light cracking in the clear. Color sanded with 2000 and it buffed out very smooth but paint has original blotches in some spots.

No '76 came with BC/CC paint from the factory. If you really have 'clear' it's a repaint.

7T1vette 10-07-2009 04:33 PM

:bigears {There's an echo in here....} :rolleyes: