CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Drying C6 After De-Ionized Wash (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2086886-drying-c6-after-de-ionized-wash.html)

GogglesPaizano 07-24-2008 01:25 PM

Drying C6 After De-Ionized Wash

Hi all. I've just picked up a water de-ionizing unit for washing the C6. I haven't used it yet and wanted to know if one still needs to actively dry the car or you really can just let the car dry naturally without producing any residue, etc. from the bit of standing water remaining after the final rinse? I'm considering getting a blower but am wondering if the additional $$$ is realy necessary when you use de-ionized water. Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks

RRVettes 07-24-2008 01:31 PM

A blower forces water out of areas where water gets trapped. It also helps get the water off the wheels, rotor and caliper area. I noticed that when I don't use the blower (and don't drive right away) a puddle of water and brake dust settles at the bottom of the wheel barrel and dries that way. JMHO. :cheers:

UNKNOWN 07-24-2008 01:40 PM

run the hose WITHOUT the nozzle on to rinse your car of soap

the water willl run off in sheets

and leave fewer spots for your microfiber follow up

leaf blow big drops down to small water dots, tamp up the mini drops with the micro

don't rub the paint with the towel too hard, just lightly pick up the mini drops residue with the micro

practice makes perfect

QbnSuperman 07-24-2008 02:17 PM

deionizing?
are you talking about the Mr. Clean car wash filter and such? that technically does deionize to some extent.

Pocket Aces 07-24-2008 03:13 PM

does it deionize or does it just filter out the minerals.

dchao 07-24-2008 03:26 PM

I use the deionizer from Costco and it works very well. You don't have to blow it or dry it, if you don't want to and does not leave spots.

ronkh 07-24-2008 03:36 PM

I use this filter
http://dftowel.com/orderfilter.html
and this blower
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07174042000P
no towels and no spots.

HP JNKEY 07-24-2008 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by dchao (Post 1566437460)
I use the deionizer from Costco and it works very well. You don't have to blow it or dry it, if you don't want to and does not leave spots.

I go to Costco all the time but haven't seen this unit.
What is it?

Juicdta 07-24-2008 06:02 PM

subscribed.t

Wayne O 07-24-2008 07:14 PM

"...the bit of standing water remaining after the final rinse..."

A "bit" of standing water...is your car waxed or treated with a polymer such as Zaino? When I wash and rinse my car...water beads-up considerably.

C4forlife 07-24-2008 08:23 PM

Ever try this?

Anyone ever try using the california water blade available from Mid America? Always wondered if it would make any small scratches in the clear.

budgreen3564 07-24-2008 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by C4forlife (Post 1566441079)
Anyone ever try using the california water blade available from Mid America? Always wondered if it would make any small scratches in the clear.

i've used this for years, even on black cars. nothing to worry about. i think it's made from stuff like surgical tubing. very flexible and displaces lots of water. dry w/ two diapers and done

rhedrich 07-24-2008 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by budgreen3564 (Post 1566441248)
i've used this for years, even on black cars. nothing to worry about. i think it's made from stuff like surgical tubing. very flexible and displaces lots of water. dry w/ two diapers and done

:iagree:

GogglesPaizano 07-25-2008 02:31 PM

Yep. That's the unit I have as well. As I haven't used it yet I'm glad to hear that it works well. My C6 is black so I was still a bit skeptical as to whether you can really omit the drying step after the final rinse with de-ionized water.

Finelee; my local Costco carries the unit but I actually ordered mine from Costco's website. Check it out if you're interested.

Originally Posted by dchao (Post 1566437460)

maxp 07-25-2008 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by blznsdl (Post 1566435828)
run the hose WITHOUT the nozzle on to rinse your car of soap

the water willl run off in sheets

and leave fewer spots for your microfiber follow up

leaf blow big drops down to small water dots, tamp up the mini drops with the micro

don't rub the paint with the towel too hard, just lightly pick up the mini drops residue with the micro

practice makes perfect

:iagree: that's how i do it

maw455 07-25-2008 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Finelee (Post 1566439533)
I go to Costco all the time but haven't seen this unit.
What is it?

It's the CR Spotless Unit, available online only. I just got mine in yesterday.

cclive 07-25-2008 04:01 PM

It looks like a nice unit, but just a bigger version of the Mr Clean unit. Replaceable cartridges filter out all the minerals.:thumbs:

Scruff Vette 07-25-2008 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by cclive (Post 1566452219)
It looks like a nice unit, but just a bigger version of the Mr Clean unit. Replaceable cartridges filter out all the minerals.:thumbs:

I use the Mr. Clean spot free wash kit and have had fantastic results. The soap they use deep cleans the paint. I just let the water dry on the car with no real need for towel dry. Any imperfections or spots after dry are quickly taken care of with detailer and a micro fiber cloth. Beautiful finish and mine is a daily driver. :cheers:

cclive 07-25-2008 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Scruff Vette (Post 1566452494)
I use the Mr. Clean spot free wash kit and have had fantastic results. The soap they use deep cleans the paint. I just let the water dry on the car with no real need for towel dry. Any imperfections or spots after dry are quickly taken care of with detailer and a micro fiber cloth. Beautiful finish and mine is a daily driver. :cheers:

Mine too! Imagine that!...............It even gets RAINED on once in a while....oh, the horror!:D

carnut08 07-25-2008 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by cclive (Post 1566452219)

No way! I've used the Mr. Clean unit. Not only did I always get a certain amount of spotting, it was virtually impossible to predict when the tiny filter was worn out. It's better than nothing, but.....

There's no comparison between the two and there shouldn't be. The CR unit is expensive and you really do get what you pay for! :thumbs: :cheers: