CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance-101/)
-   -   any one with nos? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance/2096010-any-one-with-nos.html)

NARIMAN 08-03-2008 11:00 PM

any one with nos?

anyone uses NOS
one shop suggested me $1000 include install up to 125hp
how dangerous it is?
should i do it on stock c6, or go with other mods? nad avoid NOS
any suggestions.
iam new to this, and it sound scary to do that

C7-Beast 08-04-2008 07:21 AM

I don't have NOS but I hear it is safe if you install the right kind of system and you don't push too much power. I have heard that wet systems are better than dry systems. I think systems that are just a plate around the TB have been known to blow out the back of the plastic manifolds. I'd call a company specializing in NOS and LS engines to get their opinion. Of course adding NOS will void your engine warranty if you were to blow it up.

C6 ROLLER 08-04-2008 07:57 AM

Put a PROCHARGER set-up on your car and if your still not happy then add the spray. I choose not to use spray on my build but the engine can handle it. Actually the bottle set-up will not fit in the back of my car being that I have to put my wheelchair there. At first I wanted it so that I can purge the lines at a red light. It's the little things in life that makes me smile :)

NYC6 08-04-2008 08:30 AM

After you install the giggle gas make sure you mount a big honking fire extinguisher!

AintQik 08-04-2008 09:56 AM

This is one of thoses topics that brings out the internet racers like moths to a flame. Talk to somebody who knows what they are doing and actually has some real experience "GASP".

I don't run Nitrous, NOS or NAWZ if you must so I'm not one of those people with real experience. I do know enough about it to make decisions on my builds so I can share some of the reasons my FI cars are supercharged.

Its just as safe as anything else if its done right. To do it right though, it takes some time and money. Can things go wrong? Sure, but things went wrong on my stock motor too.

After its all said and done a good kit is going to cost more than a supercharger, if you are in it. I'm always in my car and I would hate to have to fill up $40 every 2 weeks or so. So, for me, a guy that is always wanting the car screaming, its not worth it. I would have to fill bottles all the time and go through the hassle.

Nitrous is a rush, its cool stuff, I just like my spooled power better. My good buddy Spin uses Nitrous, every time he is in the car I might add and loves it. It has not exploded in a firey mess either. Perhaps he can state the reasons why he LIKES it to help in your decision.

FloydSummerOf68 08-04-2008 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by AintQik (Post 1566578031)
This is one of thoses topics that brings out the internet racers like moths to a flame. Talk to somebody who knows what they are doing and actually has some real experience "GASP".

I don't run Nitrous, NOS or NAWZ if you must so I'm not one of those people with real experience. I do know enough about it to make decisions on my builds so I can share some of the reasons my FI cars are supercharged.

Its just as safe as anything else if its done right. To do it right though, it takes some time and money. Can things go wrong? Sure, but things went wrong on my stock motor too.

After its all said and done a good kit is going to cost more than a supercharger, if you are in it. I'm always in my car and I would hate to have to fill up $40 every 2 weeks or so. So, for me, a guy that is always wanting the car screaming, its not worth it. I would have to fill bottles all the time and go through the hassle.

Nitrous is a rush, its cool stuff, I just like my spooled power better. My good buddy Spin uses Nitrous, every time he is in the car I might add and loves it. It has not exploded in a firey mess either. Perhaps he can state the reasons why he LIKES it to help in your decision.

You would have to use an insane amount of nitrous to cost more than a supercharger...like over 100 bottles.

Nitrous can be very safe and adds a ton of power.

Do a proper setup and you wont have anymore to worry about than any other power-adder. Expect to spend ~750-1000 bucks for a good, safe dry kit (depending on which system you go with). Look to spend a couple hundred more for a quality plate setup.

By the way, Nitrous is a power adder....NOS is a brand.

AintQik 08-04-2008 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68 (Post 1566579247)
You would have to use an insane amount of nitrous

Yes, yes I would ;)

$700 is a very basic kit and I like to run dry as well. Start adding things like a nice billet bottle holder that makes it easy to unstrap(almost a must), a 15 pound bottle (must have), blanket (must), remote opener (nice, cool, not required), gauges (must), A/F monitor (must in my book), a better, safer AKA Spin's kit to engage (must in my book) you reduce that 100 bottles to about 40. You can do it on the cheap but...

NARIMAN 08-08-2008 11:24 PM

thanks
i like the idea of nitrous, but why not to many people use it, and people prefer to spend money on other mods?
by the way do i need other mods to run nitrous system

Wayne O 08-09-2008 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by tailshe (Post 1566646911)
thanks
i like the idea of nitrous, but why not to many people use it, and people prefer to spend money on other mods?
by the way do i need other mods to run nitrous system

I know one guy that uses nitrous and no problems...so far. That said, I wouldn't touch it...I've seen guys trash their engines using nitrous. I can see using it if you're a serious drag racer but in street car you care about...no way! Like with most every forced induction application, you can only push a stock, cast-piston engine so far beyond its design tolerances before there's a problem. The only good thing I can say about nitrous is it's cheap.
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h9...ot_nitrous.jpg

Just my opinion...do what you want to your car. :)