CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Help Forum (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/help-forum-31/)
-   -   Search problem (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/help-forum/2104099-search-problem.html)

dheck 08-12-2008 03:33 PM

Search problem

Whenever I do a search I will turn up multiple threads but whenever I click on one I get.

No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

Any ideas?

dheck 08-13-2008 08:11 AM

anyone?

Brains 08-13-2008 01:50 PM

The archived thread data is being imported into the system gradually, so we don't negatively affect overall system performance. The search index itself has all of the data in it though, which is why it finds the posts in question.

LouisvilleLT4 08-16-2008 07:24 PM

Oh good, so you all are actively working on this. Good to see there are people in control of things that care about the forums' usability.

BQuicksilver 08-16-2008 09:40 PM

Any iodea when this will be done? Right now this place has taken a major step backwards without a decent search.

Many of us like to read old threads before making a new one, but until we get the search back we'll be littered with new threads of the same old questions...making the issue worse.

I'd much rather you shut the place down for a day and have it work right vs a semi-broke forum for a long period of time...or just give us a final date so we don't read this as an excuse.

Sorry to be a bit gruff, but this is about the 3rd time CF has went through a painfully slow upgrade.

abc 123 08-17-2008 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Brains (Post 1566703339)
The archived thread data is being imported into the system gradually, so we don't negatively affect overall system performance. The search index itself has all of the data in it though, which is why it finds the posts in question.

Negatively effect? I guess slow performance, pages not loading, archives not being available is not considered negative.

jrjr 08-17-2008 10:28 AM

I say just do it and get it done with. Its been a long time since this has been dysfunctional. I would rather be without the site for a few hours than without search for several more weeks.

Tom@Dewitt 08-17-2008 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by jrjr (Post 1566751228)
I say just do it and get it done with. Its been a long time since this has been dysfunctional. I would rather be without the site for a few hours than without search for several more weeks.

EXACTLY! :iagree:

IB, LET'S GO. WHAT IS THE DELAY

Fawndeuce 08-17-2008 09:54 PM

Do you know when the transfer will be complete and search function working correctly again?

Thanks,

Paul

BQuicksilver 08-17-2008 10:39 PM

Yeah, humor us with specifics as to when we'll see the archives properly searchable.

SteveG75 08-18-2008 02:03 PM

Is there an estimated time for repair on the database? I like to get my info here and support CF but this is getting ridiculous.

Brains 08-18-2008 02:44 PM

Everything other than the off-topic posts are in the database as of ~noon today. If you're getting any "invalid post/thread specified" messages after clicking a link from the search --- in any forums OTHER THAN OFF TOPIC --- please PM me a link to the thread in question and I will investigate.

bweaver999 08-19-2008 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Brains (Post 1566766038)
Everything other than the off-topic posts are in the database as of ~noon today. If you're getting any "invalid post/thread specified" messages after clicking a link from the search --- in any forums OTHER THAN OFF TOPIC --- please PM me a link to the thread in question and I will investigate.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They need to get you some help!!!!

Webz 08-20-2008 07:39 PM

Before the update of the system the "search this forum" function used to return results that were newest to oldest. Now it returns results which appear to have no recognizable order. Is anyone else experiencing this, is there a current work around or is the newest to oldest functionality going to return?

savewave 08-20-2008 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Webz (Post 1566790927)
Before the update of the system the "search this forum" function used to return results that were newest to oldest. Now it returns results which appear to have no recognizable order. Is anyone else experiencing this, is there a current work around or is the newest to oldest functionality going to return?

We now have the capability to sort the search results in various ways. The default is by "relevance," but note at the top left of the screen that you can sort by date.

That's what I've been doing because it comes closer to giving me the results I'm used to. :yesnod:

slothy 08-22-2008 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Brains (Post 1566766038)

not sure if its bug or not, but when you search some of them still show up with blank spot in the replies/views section when they have a bunch of replies to them.

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/4981/cfpj6.jpg

and following one of the links with 0 replies/views leads to

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...light=bilstein

slothy 08-22-2008 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by savewave (Post 1566791755)
We now have the capability to sort the search results in various ways. The default is by "relevance," but note at the top left of the screen that you can sort by date.

That's what I've been doing because it comes closer to giving me the results I'm used to. :yesnod:

yes and i love it! TY