CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   [Z06] HELP! Installed Halltech Intake and at track check engine light comes on. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/2114883-help-installed-halltech-intake-and-at-track-check-engine-light-comes-on.html)

titletaker 08-25-2008 10:41 AM

HELP! Installed Halltech Intake and at track check engine light comes on.

It has done it twice at the track and the first time the code was lean condition bank one and the second time was lean condition bank two. I checked all the fitments and there is no air leaking, the seals are tight, there is no oil residue on the intake. Anyone else have this problem? It doesn't come on during daily driving, only at the track. I have lost almost 2mph:ack:. The car is completely stock other than the Halltech and DR's. Any help would be appreciated.

BlackZ06 08-25-2008 10:56 AM

It is not unusual to see lean codes with 3rd party intake systems.

The new intake changes the way air flows through the MAF, which can change the volume of air reported by the MAF to the PCM. Another example of this is people who de-screened their MAF. Many who de-screened got lean codes also.

The amount of air hasn't changed, but the amount reported has changed.

You will either need to get the PCM "tuned" so that the MAF table in the PCM reflects the altered airflow, or re-install your stock system.

:cheers:

Quick Silver Z 08-25-2008 12:20 PM

I thought relocating the MAF sensor to the front of the throttle body was suppose to prevent this???

262-965-4300

info@halltechsystems.com

lbarnard 08-25-2008 03:36 PM

Check and see what codes it is throwing first.

stock z06 08-25-2008 03:37 PM

some thing happened to me after halltech install. just make sure every screw is on tight.you must have a leak. after doing that i had no other problem.
good luck,
ed

titletaker 08-25-2008 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by lbarnard (Post 1566844263)
Check and see what codes it is throwing first.

The codes were Po171 and po174

BonestockZ06 08-25-2008 04:20 PM

do the right thing and get a tune. I went through the same issues with the same intake. Tune fixed it.

BlackZ06 08-25-2008 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Quick Silver Z (Post 1566841744)
I thought relocating the MAF sensor to the front of the throttle body was suppose to prevent this???

262-965-4300

info@halltechsystems.com

The OP may have an "older" Halltech with the MAF in its original location. Even the Halltech site, in the ad for the "Venom AIS" says .....

starting with the relocation the Delphi 85 MAF sensor to the rear of the intake bridge for better MAF sensor readings less chance of lean codes

http://www.halltechsystems.com/Produ...ductCode=V1025

Note ... LESS CHANCE ..... not that it can't still happen.

The MAF is a very sensitive measuring device ..... messing with it can throw it off .... want proof ???? Compare the MAF tables from a Pontiac GTO with the LS6 and the same tables from a Corvette with the LS6 ..... they're different ..... WHY ???? The two cars have different intake "plumbing" because of the different engine bay sizes ..... so GM had to "tune" the MAF table for the GTO because while all else is the same on the two engines the plumbing change affected the MAF readings.

:cheers:

titletaker 08-25-2008 04:47 PM

It's the new version with the MAS in the top

lbarnard 08-25-2008 05:11 PM

I looked up those codes in my service manuals and the problem is in the O2 sensors indicate a lean condition. It states a lean condition could be present during high fuel demand due to a fuel pump that does not pump enough fuel. Note leaks around the intake manifold, throttle body, and injector O-rings. Need to get a tuner to run diagnostics on it. May not be that bad!