CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   That's what I get for trying to save a few bucks... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/2135918-thats-what-i-get-for-trying-to-save-a-few-bucks.html)

KenHorse 09-17-2008 09:25 PM

That's what I get for trying to save a few bucks...

On the advice of another Vette owner, I purchased a knockoff of a K&N dual intake for my '02 Z06 from a vendor on that auction site. All and all it actually doesn't look too bad but I noticed there is no mounting bracket provided . This means it is supported solely by the MAS which doesn't thrill me all that much.

It arrived with no paperwork whatsoever so I emailed the vendor with the following:

I purchased this from you back in June. Your item description states:

All necessary mounting hardware, vacuum hoses and reducers will be included like in the picture.
A General Installation instruction will be included.

I am just getting around to installing it and noticed some problems:

1) There was no nipple included for attaching the A.I.R. hose
2) No paperwork whatsoever (installation) was included.
3) There is no mounting bracket to support the weight of the unit - it simple hangs from the MAF housing.

Please advise
The response I received back:

I see, sorry about it, we didn't get your email somehow. There should be a hole on the pipe for the temp sensor and you shouldn't attach any hose to the intake kit. We will email you the generic installation instruction. There is no mouting bracket. It will be secure the way it design.
Temperature sensor? Isn't that mounted on the MAS?

So I replied:

Thank your for the reply.

What of the hose that connects to the stock airbox that is the intake of the AIR pump?
To which the vendor replied (beginning to see a pattern here?):

Hi

You shouldn't have to connect on that hose
My final reply:

That makes no sense. In the stock air intake, the AIR hose connects to a fitting on the airbox so the air injection pump is supplied with filtered air. You can't just ignore that. - you're telling me to simply let the hose suck in dirty air? Is your company going to replace the AIR pump when it fails due to the ingestion of dirt? Also regarding the temperature sensor, that mounts on the MAS not the air intake. I'm beginning to be concerned that what I purchased from you is not properly engineering for a Corvette.
No reply yet but I think I've answered my own question - get a real K&N

thetaxman 09-17-2008 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by KenHorse (Post 1567145703)
I think I've answered my own question - get a real K&N

or a Blackwing

nj02vette 09-17-2008 09:44 PM

Or skip them both and go to the ones that show repeatable results. Vararam and Honker.

lucky131969 09-18-2008 01:11 AM

ahhhh.......yep..:leaving:

FASTBLACKLS6 09-18-2008 01:53 AM

:iagree:

c5mtl 09-18-2008 04:22 AM

dude....just go to the parts store and get yourself one of those little 5$ breather filter and use it on the airpump line.... i would not worry about it not being supported by a bracket...good luck:cheers:

vsocks1 09-18-2008 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by c5mtl (Post 1567148649)
dude....just go to the parts store and get yourself one of those little 5$ breather filter and use it on the airpump line.... i would not worry about it not being supported by a bracket...good luck:cheers:

:iagree: My Halltech Venom was supplied with a breather for the air pump line. It sits unsupported in the cavity. Works fine that way!

zeevette 09-18-2008 04:19 PM

:iagree: Also, if you bought a K&N branded intake, it would be a single large filter, not the "twin cone" variety. They used to call it a FIPK system.

Mike94ZLT1 09-18-2008 04:25 PM

My Halltech stinger has been sitting unsupported fir 3+ years now with no issues. As far as the other line goes, who cares? You live in Oregon, rip off that air pump! And your cats while you are at it!

intoc6s 09-18-2008 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1 (Post 1567157524)
rip off that air pump! And your cats while you are at it!

Thats what i always say!! :iagree:;)

jovette 09-19-2008 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1 (Post 1567157524)
My Halltech stinger has been sitting unsupported fir 3+ years now with no issues. As far as the other line goes, who cares? You live in Oregon, rip off that air pump! And your cats while you are at it!

:ack:Wow, what a real man you are, for recommending removal of equipment designed to keep our air cleaner, and for no/ very little peformance gain..........Yep, a real man's man.

Tracktimeplz 09-19-2008 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by jovette (Post 1567166053)
:ack:Wow, what a real man you are, for recommending removal of equipment designed to keep our air cleaner, and for no/ very little peformance gain..........Yep, a real man's man.

lol loser

Sarg_LS1Vette 09-19-2008 10:24 AM

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...r/NotAgain.jpg

Mike Francoeur 09-19-2008 11:50 AM

That kind of goes along with about 95% of modding of these cars. Most things dont make them more emission efficiant... If you delete the cats, that pump is doing a whole lotta nothing :smash:

Corvette505 12-30-2016 04:08 PM

What did you do for the hole in the pipe where they say the sensor goes? My son just ran into that issue too right now and we are trying to trouble shoot it.

Your point on the tube that connects is a good one too, I am totally confused now. Don't want dirty unfiltered air going into the engine, we live in the desert, lots of sand in the air here.

449er 12-30-2016 04:24 PM

My advice would be - purchase a quality well engineered intake like a Halltech, Vararam, etc

Corvette505 12-30-2016 04:31 PM

Son already purchased, so kinda stuck with this model.

Anyone have a picture of a breather filter for the airpump line?

El original 12-30-2016 05:11 PM

I have the stock air box...am I missing something here as it seems to work just fine?!?!:hide:

mike venth 12-31-2016 01:25 PM

I have the twin cone, several years now, and it just hangs. Never had a problem. Put headers on it several months ago, So I tuned out the air pump. Any auto parts or small engine shop can fix you up with a filter. My twin cone system had a male plug sticking out
and so I just added a short piece of hose. On my HD Race Engine, the breather tubs from the heads run under the frame and I used small pieces of socks with black tape. Can't see them and I'm cheep....

jrprich 01-01-2017 01:32 PM

Note: Ken posted the original comment in 2008.

He is driving a C7 now ;^)