CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Excessive noise solutions for C6 coupe (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2143376-excessive-noise-solutions-for-c6-coupe.html)

cwwinslow 09-26-2008 05:32 PM

Excessive noise solutions for C6 coupe

Does anyone know of a solution for solving excessive cabin noise in a C6 coupe. I installed a new exhaust system that has such a drone in the cabin.

nikic6 09-26-2008 05:35 PM

I have the Corvette NNP duel mode exhaust and don't have any problems with excessive noise.

TRAYC7 09-26-2008 05:38 PM

I added about 15 lbs of dynamat lining in the back (under the carpet)....it helped some...:cheers:

SUB VETTE 09-26-2008 05:45 PM

Check out exoticvette.com, they have an insulation kit that will reduce noise and heat. I used the rear kit only and it cut down my cabin road noise. I doubt that you will get rid of your drone however, since the structure of the car is in resonance with your exhaust at certain rpms with your exhaust system. That's why I installed a Corsa Sport system which is designed to eliminate drone. You may have to go for a different exhaust.

not08crmanymore 09-26-2008 05:45 PM

change exhaust systems.

WAwatchnut 09-26-2008 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by nikic6 (Post 1567256673)
I have the Corvette NNP duel mode exhaust and don't have any problems with excessive noise.

Good for you! :thumbs:

But not quite what the OP was asking... :(

The problem is really the resonance frequency of the hatch area, combining with the output of the exhaust. Dynamat or Damplifier Pro will help some - although they're really designed to attenuate higher frequencies, so they won't help as much as they could.

I'm thinking Bass Traps would be great, but they'd take up way too much space. Dynamat or Damplifier is probably the best route to take. (Besides changing the exhaust... and most aftermarket exhausts will be similar).

AORoads 09-26-2008 06:05 PM

You can try the alternatives above, but it may not work to your satisfaction. BTW, what year do you have, and what exhaust did you put on?

There have been many discussions on CF re drone in aftermarket exhaust systems. The problem is, some hear it, and some don't. Some like a little, and some can't stand any.

I've had it in other cars and also been lucky to NOT have it at all. There are quite a few systems out there but generally there is only one, Corsa, that advertises no drone. And at that, I think it may be only their touring and one level up systems, not all of them. For the rest of the aftermarket mfrs., they may or may not drone depending on your car and your hearing. No kidding.

ErnieD 09-26-2008 06:38 PM

I did two things to reduce drone and overall sound level in my 2007 coupe: 1) I added some sound deadener as has been mentioned by others. I used rectangular pieces of Dynamat to cover the center of the rear deck area and two places on the bulkhead behind the seats. I then covered the rear deck area and the area behind each seat on the bulkhead with Cascade Audio Engineering's VB-4.5 as a sound barrier. This plus a Lloyd's cargo mat cut overall noise and drone by perhaps 20%. 2) I added an x-pipe -- a West Coast Corvettes product with a Bassani-styled sheet metal box instead of the siamesed pipes of many products. This reduced overall exhaust sound and drone inside the car by about another 30%. Of course, if your car is a 2008 or 2009, you already have an x-pipe.

I have to confess that, in spite of the above efforts, I finally removed the offending exhaust system and installed a quieter B&B Route 66 system.

Hope this helps you sort it out.

danl72 09-26-2008 06:43 PM

Need to put in some insulation. It should make a difference.

ryoder 09-26-2008 06:48 PM

I agree that sound deadening is a noble idea but its not sound proofing by any means. Some sounds will be dulled down by adding a bunch of dynamat or the various insulation products but the low pitched drone from a loud exhaust is too much to cancel out. I had a Loudmouth on my Z28 and put a bunch of sound deadening in there and it didn't really help at all. I then cut off the tips and slid on some quad tip glasspacked tips and the sound was bearable. After a while I removed the whole thing and put in a quieter exhaust.

cmonkey713 09-26-2008 06:55 PM

Welcome to the "Exhaust of the month club". There are many here that have changed exhaust systems several times due to drone and other tone issues. Dynamat or such items may help but will not solve your problem. Ride in other cars first before making another choice. In the end you will most likely replace your current system.:thumbs:

VET4LES 09-26-2008 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by 08crm (Post 1567256788)
change exhaust systems.

:iagree::cheers:

C5pilot 09-26-2008 07:39 PM

Dynamat did not do anything for me except add 15 lbs to the car. I returned it in one piece. I'd have kept it but it's so ridiculously expensive it had to be all or nothing.

johnnyquest 09-26-2008 08:21 PM

The exhaust is my favorite part! I'm not even sure if my radio works? :)

surburban99 09-26-2008 09:32 PM

I put in a Lloyds rear cargo mat with the C6 flag. It is thicker and a higher quality than the GM aftermarket mat.

I was surprised how much rear road noise was eliminated by this simple installation. Glad I bought it and it looks :cool:

Also, your road noise will vary depending upon the condition of the road surface.

shawden 09-27-2008 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by surburban99 (Post 1567259546)
I put in a Lloyds rear cargo mat with the C6 flag. It is thicker and a higher quality than the GM aftermarket mat.

I was surprised how much rear road noise was eliminated by this simple installation. Glad I bought it and it looks :cool:

Also, your road noise will vary depending upon the condition of the
road surface.

I put in two mats, that really helps... :D:D

matsarge 09-27-2008 09:42 AM

add a 12" sub and turn up the stereo...but then you're replacing one noise for another..:D

Nikka 09-27-2008 10:26 AM

Borla....

I have a Borla exhaust, and it always sounds beautiful to me.
I also have a Lloyds rear cargo mat with the C6 flag, but it was there before the exhaust. It might be reducing drone noise. :)
Nikka

Don C1 09-27-2008 11:03 AM

I have an 07 coupe, purchased the rear cargo mat from Lloyds not really for the sound insulation purpose but more cosmetic. After a trip to Carlisle this year I decided on the rear cargo shade and the cargo partion both of which came from RPI and those 2 items did seem to reduce the road noise which I think comes from the rear tires. Very satisfied with the results

danl72 09-27-2008 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by 08crm (Post 1567256788)
change exhaust systems.

That will work too.