CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   C7 Corvette delayed until 2013, no mid-engine layout but V6 considered (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/2152061-c7-corvette-delayed-until-2013-no-mid-engine-layout-but-v6-considered.html)

socialomar 10-07-2008 03:05 PM

C7 Corvette delayed until 2013, no mid-engine layout but V6 considered

The things that CAFE regulations will make automakers do is pretty frightening for us car enthusiasts. Even some of America’s famous sports cars, like the Corvette, aren’t safe from wrath of strict fuel-economy regulations.

Well we have some good news for you today. No one at GM is talking about a mid-engine C7 Corvette anymore. Previous reports suggested that Bob Lutz and other GM exes were leaning toward a mid-engine layout for the next-generation C7 ‘Vette since it would be easier to cut fuel-economy from a mid-mounted LS3 V8. Basically, GM decided that due to the high-cost of switching from the current front-engine layout to a mid-engine was not worth it.

Still the C7 Corvette is not likely to...

Source: eGMCarTech

http://www.egmcartech.com/wp-content..._rendering.jpg

AMGPilot 10-15-2008 08:23 AM

They quoted thier source as Motor Trend. We know how accurate Motor Trend's articles are :rolleyes:

Click here for the Motor Trend Article.

a1231212 01-21-2009 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Vette-Pilot (Post 1567473868)
They quoted thier source as Motor Trend. We know how accurate Motor Trend's articles are :rolleyes:

Click here for the Motor Trend Article.

V6?? :ack:

btw your profile icon (picture) is my computer background :thumbs:

Madmikeee 02-03-2009 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by a1231212 (Post 1568644601)
V6?? :ack:

btw your profile icon (picture) is my computer background :thumbs:

Don't scoff at a V6 I have seen twin turbo 231 buicks putting down 8 sec 1/4 miles. as well as single turbos hitting high tens and getting 32 MPG highway showing restraint

a1231212 02-05-2009 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Madmikeee (Post 1568804696)
Don't scoff at a V6 I have seen twin turbo 231 buicks putting down 8 sec 1/4 miles. as well as single turbos hitting high tens and getting 32 MPG highway showing restraint

yeah...but a corvette is an 8 cylinder rwd torque monster :thumbs:

i cant imagine a v6 corvette (and yes i konw the 1st gen. ones were v6)

Skiman 02-05-2009 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by a1231212 (Post 1568825563)
i cant imagine a v6 corvette (and yes i konw the 1st gen. ones were v6)

The original blue flame six was inline.

lt4obsesses 02-06-2009 02:57 AM

Not being a GM insider or anything of that sort, this is my humblest opinion. I would look for the C7 to be a variant of the Solstice coupe. Pontiac and Saturn will probably drop the Zeta cars and Chevrolet will tweak and enhance it to fit the Corvette mold.

I would also not be suprised by a V6 offering. However, I am pretty sure there will be a little box to check for a v8 option. However, I am not so sure that that v8 will displace 6.2 liters. I would imagine a 5.3 or even a 4.6 liter, saving the 5.7 for the Z models. Any of these would provide ample power for this platform as they weigh in at around 2900lbs.

While we all see the Corvette as a growling V8 torque monster, for as long as most of us can remember, mind that times are a changin' and so are the wants and needs of the consumer. I personally don't see any of this as a bad thing. If it weren't for those winds of change in 70's and 80's, we would not see the technology we have today that can put 638 hp to a daily driver and get 25 mpg.

mkiv808 02-06-2009 02:19 PM

I don't see why a mid engine layout would have been bad. It's progress. It's the best layout for a sports car IMO.

Now a V6? Blegh.

lt4obsesses 02-06-2009 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by mkiv808 (Post 1568845255)
I don't see why a mid engine layout would have been bad. It's progress. It's the best layout for a sports car IMO.

Now a V6? Blegh.

I agree that a mid engine might be cool. However, as has always been the case with Corvette, the cost ratios of going mid engine is the stumbling block.

Now, about the V6. Think in terms of the new Camaro. The V6 model will put out 300HP. GM could easily design a V6 to hit the 400+ mark. Now you put that in a 2900 lb chassis, with the proper gearing and suspension and you have a car that would run circles around the C6 models, at the very least be cometitive with them. Then, take you to work and back everyday for the next 200K miles all the while getting 30 mpg. Now, please, someone explain to me how this would be a bad thing.

a1231212 02-07-2009 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses (Post 1568846248)
I agree that a mid engine might be cool. However, as has always been the case with Corvette, the cost ratios of going mid engine is the stumbling block.

Now, about the V6. Think in terms of the new Camaro. The V6 model will put out 300HP. GM could easily design a V6 to hit the 400+ mark. Now you put that in a 2900 lb chassis, with the proper gearing and suspension and you have a car that would run circles around the C6 models, at the very least be cometitive with them. Then, take you to work and back everyday for the next 200K miles all the while getting 30 mpg. Now, please, someone explain to me how this would be a bad thing.

well...idk how to explain it really...but corvettes have always been known to have that incredible power at the rear wheels...with a v6 model, the whole corvette "atmosphere" won't be the same...i know that might sound stupid, but does it make sense?

mdk 02-07-2009 07:27 AM

2013 is not so bad, lets hope its made by GM and not some overseas manf.

lt4obsesses 02-07-2009 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by a1231212 (Post 1568852905)
well...idk how to explain it really...but corvettes have always been known to have that incredible power at the rear wheels...with a v6 model, the whole corvette "atmosphere" won't be the same...i know that might sound stupid, but does it make sense?

True, I fully understand about the Corvette "mystique". I personally love the growl and rumble of my LT4. But times are changing. The "baby boomer" Corvette era is almost over. The new Corvette buyers are going to be the people that are "hot rodding" Hondas right now. So the idea of a 400hp v6 will be more than acceptable to them. The price of gas, mark my words, will hit $5 a gallon, if not this summer, the next.

But the real "mystique" of the Corvette has been it's cutting edge technology. I think GM is going make the Corvette the leader on the "next" generation of tech. This is going to mean bigger power from smaller engines. They will do for the six banger what they did for the small block v8. The Corvette will be the platform to give it true credibility. To say a Corvette isn't a Corvette w/o a v8 is simply being short sighted. The market, economy, and environment will dictate the C7, and it will need to be smaller, more efficient, less expensive, and truely forward thinking in terms of technology.

GM has been making huge strides in terms of quality and technology. But until they give it credibility on their flagship sports car, the world will not see it. They need to make a change and show the world what they are capable of doing. The Corvette is the most visible model they have in those terms.