CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   Caliper banjo bolt (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/2162004-caliper-banjo-bolt.html)

MJD 10-19-2008 05:51 PM

Caliper banjo bolt

I'm doing a rotor upgrade and decided to pull the calipers so I could paint them. The question I have is once I remove the bolt do I need to plug it somehow to prevent the fluid from running out, or simply elevate it and tie it to the control arm or shock. Will simply elevating it prevent the fluid from running out? I just want to see what needs to be done before I end up making a mess.

Bill Curlee 10-19-2008 11:31 PM

WOW!!!!:eek: DO NOT let the fluid run out and drain the master cylinder dry. Once you let air enter the BPMV, you will need to have the dealer power bleed the system using a TECH II!!

Autozone and or Advance sell some tapered small rubber plugs "for brake systems" that you can insert into the banjo fitting or into brake lines and seal it up. I have two different size packages that I have used for years. They work very well. :thumbs:

See if you can find them before you start.

MJD 10-20-2008 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee (Post 1567531230)
WOW!!!!:eek: DO NOT let the fluid run out and drain the master cylinder dry. Once you let air enter the BPMV, you will need to have the dealer power bleed the system using a TECH II!!

Autozone and or Advance sell some tapered small rubber plugs "for brake systems" that you can insert into the banjo fitting or into brake lines and seal it up. I have two different size packages that I have used for years. They work very well. :thumbs:

See if you can find them before you start.

Thanks for the info. Will they be able to tell me which plugs will work, do I need to know the fitting size first?

hotwheels57 10-20-2008 01:16 PM

If you don't want to deal with leaking brake fluid and bleeding, the caliper painting kits by DUPLICOLOR (from AUTOZONE, CHECKER AUTO) do a fine job w/o tearing the calipers apart.
The kits come with a rather poor brush, so I'd suggest a better quality hobby type brush.
Some people only paint the visible portion of the calipers, but you can mask the caliper brake hoses/pads easily and paint both sides so they look factory.

MJD 10-20-2008 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by hotwheels57 (Post 1567536485)
If you don't want to deal with leaking brake fluid and bleeding, the caliper painting kits by DUPLICOLOR (from AUTOZONE, CHECKER AUTO) do a fine job w/o tearing the calipers apart.
The kits come with a rather poor brush, so I'd suggest a better quality hobby type brush.
Some people only paint the visible portion of the calipers, but you can mask the caliper brake hoses/pads easily and paint both sides so they look factory.

Thanks for the advice but I decided to pull them, sandblast and spray them with a two part epoxy paint (G2).

peebee_c5 10-21-2008 01:05 PM

Use some bolts and the old crush washers. I think the bolt size is M10x50. There's a guy who does caliper powdercoating and regularly posts detailed bolt sizes.

MattB 10-21-2008 01:26 PM

I'd suggest looking into a high temp clear coat. Brake dust can be very difficult to remove.