CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance-101/)
-   -   reset oil light (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance/2167007-reset-oil-light.html)

FaSStC5 10-25-2008 12:03 PM

reset oil light

how do i reset the oil light in my 05 c6?

thomas walters 10-25-2008 12:10 PM

While the display is revealing the % of oil life remaining, hit the RESET button and hold down until the display resets to 100% (5 to 10 seconds).

danl72 10-25-2008 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by thomas walters (Post 1567600277)
While the display is revealing the % of oil life remaining, hit the RESET button and hold down until the display resets to 100% (5 to 10 seconds).

:iagree:

FaSStC5 10-25-2008 04:12 PM

Thank you

Pylons26 11-03-2008 11:23 AM

put some oil in :rofl:

BEZ06 11-03-2008 11:51 AM

And PULLEEEASE.....don't get upset when it only resets to 99%!!! ;)

I don't know why anybody would be upset about that, but I've read on the forum several times where guys have a fit because it doesn't reset to 100%, but it only goes back to 99%, so be prepared for that.

Maybe I'm not anal enough, but starting at 99% oil life remaining before it starts counting down to zero is okay with me. Also, apparently it's a pretty smart system that will look not only at how far you've driven since it was reset to 99%, but it also looks at how you drive - so I guess if you drive it hard it will count down to zero quicker.

I changed my oil in June before the VIR HPDE in the summer. I had been getting ready to change it again before the Daytona HPDE I ran this past weekend. About 2 weeks ago the DIC started displaying "5% Oil Life Remaining" every time I started up. I hadn't ever seen that before because I've been changing earlier than that, but I guess the DIC will remind you at 5% remaining if you've neglected to change it before that.

Overall, it's a pretty neat system!!! :thumbs:

BTW, I just went out and checked it. I've only driven about 200 miles on the track since I changed the oil and reset the life remaining indication, and it's down to 92% already.

Bob :flag:

jpee 11-03-2008 12:14 PM

If it calculates based on how many miles you drive and HOW you drive i.e. speed, RPM, oil Temp etc..

It's not in sync with the "Traditional way of thinking... I usually change my oil at 3-4 k miles..

Well I changed it and set the "B" trip setting to 0 , and I've put on 2400 miles since my last oil change.. I drive app 100 miles (Highway) to the drag strip, make between 4 - 10 1/4 mile runs (add a burn out to each of those runs) ..

It is telling me I still have 80% oil live remaining... and I'm getting close to 3000 miles..

Also I don't use 6 qts I only change the filter & use 5 qts of Mobil 1 as I want less oil in the car at the drag strip...

Based on the oil life gage, I can probably go 6-7 + thousand miles before the oil need to be changed..

However I wont, I'll still change it at 4k

C6XTACY 11-03-2008 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by BEZ06 (Post 1567710296)
And PULLEEEASE.....don't get upset when it only resets to 99%!!! ;)

Dave S 11-03-2008 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by C6XTACY (Post 1567710677)

Reason is that the digital readout is only a 2-position signal! ;)

99BlkVette 07-28-2010 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by thomas walters (Post 1567600277)

Is this the only way to reset the oil light? For some reason, I reset mine and it resets to nothing. I don't get the 99%. I get _ _ _. So every time I start the car it tells me to change oil. I've never had this problem before. Anyone ever run into a similar situation? I'm wondering if there is a harder reset function to reset the oil indicator.

ninjavette 07-29-2010 10:36 AM

It resets to 99% if you do it while the car is running. If you reset it with the car off but in the On/Acc position, it will reset to 100%.

eyoung3sm 11-12-2010 12:30 AM

I assume the same process for an 08 LS3? Mine is just telling me it's time to change the oil - but I just changed it recently.

timd38 11-12-2010 06:08 AM

The owners manual is your best friend.

Gearhead Jim 11-12-2010 11:01 AM

Caution for the 2006, based on personal experience:

If you have the Elapsed Timer running, push the Reset button to stop it and then push again to zero it, it will also zero your Oil Life. I'm told you have to switch to Oil Life within a few seconds of resetting the timer but didn't experiment with this.

Newer years don't have the problem, but I don't know when the fix went into production.

CCrane65 11-08-2015 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by eyoung3sm (Post 1575902975)
I assume the same process for an 08 LS3? Mine is just telling me it's time to change the oil - but I just changed it recently.

I realize this is a very old thread but my 08 automatic would never get out of "Press Brake Pedal to Start" or "Accessory mode". Nothing else would display no matter how many times I pressed reset or held it depressed.

My only option was to have the engine running then use the reset procedure.

cc

5knives 11-08-2015 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by CCrane72 (Post 1590861860)
I realize this is a very old thread but my 08 automatic would never get out of "Press Brake Pedal to Start" or "Accessory mode". Nothing else would display no matter how many times I pressed reset or held it depressed.

cc

I'm not sure on an automatic, but if you just hold the button as if you were trying to start it (without pressing the brake) it wont turn everything on without starting the engine?

As for the 99%, that only occurs when you're resetting the OLM with the engine running. With the engine off it resets to 100%.

BadAV 11-08-2015 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by 5knives (Post 1590862497)
I'm not sure on an automatic, but if you just hold the button as if you were trying to start it (without pressing the brake) it wont turn everything on without starting the engine?

As for the 99%, that only occurs when you're resetting the OLM with the engine running. With the engine off it resets to 100%.

CCrane65 11-09-2015 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by 5knives (Post 1590862497)

Correct, holding the button only results in it shutting off completely. It goes directly from Accessory Mode to off or Press Brake Pedal To Start to off.

None of the DIC control buttons do anything unless I start the car.

cc

Gearhead Jim 11-09-2015 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by CCrane72 (Post 1590861860)

cc

When the engine is shut down, you can push the bottom of the switch and the car goes into Accessory, keep holding the bottom for five (?) seconds and the car goes into a mode of "everything comes alive but the engine doesn't actually crank" mode.

Not sure if you could reset the oil life in that mode, but I don't mind starting the engine if needed.

CCrane65 11-10-2015 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim (Post 1590873113)
When the engine is shut down, you can push the bottom of the switch and the car goes into Accessory, keep holding the bottom for five (?) seconds and the car goes into a mode of "everything comes alive but the engine doesn't actually crank" mode.

Not sure if you could reset the oil life in that mode, but I don't mind starting the engine if needed.

That may be the only thing I didn't try. I'm not sure I ever pushed and held the bottom of the start button from a dead stop. I will give it try and maybe learn something.

cc