CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance-101/)
-   -   New calipers, bled brakes, no pressure? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance/2178643-new-calipers-bled-brakes-no-pressure.html)

omigosh 11-08-2008 07:08 PM

New calipers, bled brakes, no pressure?

I need some help!! I replaced my calipers with some powdercoated ones. Bled each one about six times using the old fashioned method. Had a solid pedal with the car off, but when I start it, the pedal goes to the floor. I then tried a hand vaccuum pump and bled each one about 3 more times. Same results. I don't see any leaks from any fittings. I'm baffled. Any one have any ideas? Is it possible there could still be air in there?

oldmansan 11-08-2008 07:10 PM

Did you let air into the master cylinder? If so you need to bleed it.

San

omigosh 11-08-2008 07:25 PM

I may have let air in the master cylinder. Level was pretty low after I changed the calipers. I'll try that.

oldmansan 11-08-2008 07:38 PM

Buy yourself some brake line plugs to prevent that from happening next time. They're cheap, a few bucks at most.

San

omigosh 11-08-2008 07:57 PM

Thanks for the advice! :thumbs:

danl72 11-08-2008 08:08 PM

Try and bleed the brakes again to make sure there is no air in the system.

oldmansan 11-08-2008 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by danl72 (Post 1567779873)
Try and bleed the brakes again to make sure there is no air in the system.

He's bled each ~9 times each so I think it's likely there is air in the master cylinder. I haven't done the Corvette's brakes yet, but when I did my other car (changed calipers) I didn't plug the lines and had to bleed the master cylinder. That's why I recommended getting brake line plugs for next time.

San

GCD1962 11-08-2008 10:15 PM

some calipers must be bled in a certain position or they trap air. Not sure if this is the case with yours, but for those that require a certain position the can not be mounted.

C6400hp 11-08-2008 10:31 PM

Are your calipers on upside down? Are the bleed screws facing up or down?

Walt White Coupe 11-08-2008 11:57 PM

If you got air past the master cylinder then you are going to have to have the car flatbedded to a dealer that can purge the ABS system to get the air out. With all that you've done it sounds like that's what you've got to do. Without that special equipment you just can't do it like conventional brakes. Letting the reservoir go empty sounds like the problem.

KB9GKC 11-09-2008 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by C6400hp (Post 1567781189)

Ditto

Douglas in Green Bay :D

cranky 11-09-2008 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe (Post 1567781845)
If you got air past the master cylinder then you are going to have to have the car flatbedded to a dealer that can purge the ABS system to get the air out. With all that you've done it sounds like that's what you've got to do. Without that special equipment you just can't do it like conventional brakes. Letting the reservoir go empty sounds like the problem.

:iagree::iagree: next time, do one caliper at a time and bleed each one. have done over 15 sets of these and not one problem. if you do not have the scan tool to electronically work the abs system, you will never get a pedal on it. good luck :thumbs:

AU N EGL 11-09-2008 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by cranky (Post 1567783969)
:iagree::iagree: next time, do one caliper at a time and bleed each one. have done over 15 sets of these and not one problem. if you do not have the scan tool to electronically work the abs system, you will never get a pedal on it. good luck :thumbs:

You can. Done it many times.

Not really easy but it can be done

When ever you bleed your brakes make sure you have a full MC with fresh brake fluid.

Use a Motive power bleeder to push the brake fluid though the lines.

15-20 psi will do it.

Open and CLOSE the bleed valves on the caliper while the fluid is flowing.

If your still getting soft peddle, look at a few things;

tapered brake pads
bent caliper

other things to do

start the car up and let the ABS cycle on, pump the brake peddle a few times. Turn car off

bleed the rear brakes, then pump the brake peddle 3,4, 5 times

refill the MC, and do the front brakes, then pump the brake peddle 3,4 5 times

YES the car is on four jack stands, all the wheels must be off.

If this does not do it, then put the wheels back on and go for a very very slow drive down your street. Your pump your brake peddle severl times. This cycles your ABS. Your brakes may not work well, so drive very very slow.

put car back into garage and back up on jack stands and rebleed the brake calipers. again make sure the MC does not go dry.

This does take some time, but works very well

I know there should be a specific order to bleed calipers, but I do my rear two then front two calipers. Never had a problem.

Done many other guys vettes the same way, No problems.

Good Luck

omigosh 11-09-2008 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by C6400hp (Post 1567781189)

Yeah, I'm a bonehead! Thats what it was. After looking at the service manual about 15 times, I noticed the pic in the book was backward from mine. Boy do I feel stupid!!!

Thanks for everyones advice!!

patton 11-09-2008 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by omigosh (Post 1567784797)
Yeah, I'm a bonehead! Thats what it was. After looking at the service manual about 15 times, I noticed the pic in the book was backward from mine. Boy do I feel stupid!!!

dont feel stupid,the fact ya let us know its fixed and how shows you are smart

C6400hp 11-09-2008 03:52 PM

No worries, I have read several stories from guys here that a dealer technician made the same mistake on their cars. Happens alot for some reason. Are they working well for you now? Glad I could help.:thumbs::cheers:

timd38 11-09-2008 04:21 PM

I can not believe how many times I have sen that happen.

omigosh 11-09-2008 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by C6400hp (Post 1567786973)
No worries, I have read several stories from guys here that a dealer technician made the same mistake on their cars. Happens alot for some reason. Are they working well for you now? Glad I could help.:thumbs::cheers:

Yes, everything works great now!! Thanks again for the help!! :thumbs:

I switched to ceramic pads too, so hopefully I will actually be able to see my wheels and the new calipers!!

corvette pilot 11-10-2008 08:30 AM

I was going to suggest the backwards calipers as its fairly common. I might need to start labelling them, I've just been afraid that I might mislabel a pair one time and cause someone a problem.

06.Z51.MontRed.Vert 11-10-2008 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by corvette pilot (Post 1567793864)
I was going to suggest the backwards calipers as its fairly common. I might need to start labelling them, I've just been afraid that I might mislabel a pair one time and cause someone a problem.

I did mine last week and put the first one on incorrectly. Luckily I caught it and redid it. The rears look exactly the same except for the taper direction where you install the brake hose. It might be a good idea to label them as left/right.