CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance-101/)
-   -   Hertz rental car wiring (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance/2180372-hertz-rental-car-wiring.html)

RLSebring 11-10-2008 11:27 PM

Hertz rental car wiring

Anybody know anything about additional wiring setup for rental cars from the factory? I bought an 08 Vert to rebuild. It's from Hertz but not the ZHZ maybe earlier version. Anyway all is back together and when we tried to crank when you push the button the radio goes dead and no functions work. I can do a reset and the radio is back on and all seems normal until the start button is pushed again. In looking for problems I found some wires behind the raidio that looked like they had been attached to something at one time. There is a databus end to the wiring and the other end is a lot of loose wires that may have been connected to a module or something. Did these cars come with a GPS or device that the rental agency uses to track and read how the car was operated and with that missing the ignition system won't communicate? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jay Hintz 11-10-2008 11:51 PM

I say a ZHZ this weekend and it has the HERTZ nav. attached to the console.

Maui 11-11-2008 12:34 AM

I saw a couple in Vegas last week and I noticed the gps antenna attached to the roof behind the driver's seat.

EuroRod 11-11-2008 07:06 AM

Possibly a LoJac install ?

RLSebring 11-12-2008 04:59 PM

I am sure it was something the rental company uses to track where the car has been and how it was driven. I have a call into the dealer now so maybe that will clear it up. :cheers:

Originally Posted by EuroRod (Post 1567806270)
Possibly a LoJac install ?

Adam Boca 11-12-2008 05:05 PM

Hertz offers GPS's hardwired into the car....I would say this is what the extra wiring is..

Adam

Vito.A 11-12-2008 05:43 PM

I think the real issue is does this extra radio harness have anything to do with your no start problem?
Have you double checked the battery cables and connections?

RLSebring 11-12-2008 09:50 PM

That is what I am trying to get at. When the car was stolen they snatched something from out behind the radio and left some loose wiring )w/ the data bus). I am just getting into it but didn't want to spend a lot of time chasing something if I could find out here.

It may be coincidental that the no start and the wiring are happening. I did not know if what ever was suppose to be there completed a circuit or not. Battery and cables check out, all new even second battery.

Originally Posted by Vito.A (Post 1567824002)
I think the real issue is does this extra radio harness have anything to do with your no start problem?
Have to double checked the battery cables and connections?

danl72 11-12-2008 10:56 PM

Probably has to do with gps or lojack.

alcgomez 11-13-2008 11:01 PM

the never lost system

RLSebring 11-14-2008 12:37 AM

I read up on this and that could very well be the culprit since this unit talks to the cars computer. Without the unit there it may have a failsafe and not allow the car to crank. I have an email into Hertz, GM and Magellan Tech.

Thanks

Originally Posted by alcgomez (Post 1567840709)
the never lost system

NEV3R L8 11-14-2008 05:59 PM

Not sure if this helps but it sounds like mine was doing the exact same thing when I tried to start it. My radio and everything came back on though. Ended up being a short from the starter relay to the starter. I'm pretty sure I caused this myself because I wasn't able to get into R so I thought I would undo the bat. and hook it back up but they ECM wasn't off so I fried a wire or something when I hooked it back up.

Like I said, not sure if it helps but there it is.

lockman 11-14-2008 07:28 PM

from my understanding the cars computer is ran thru that bus I had a new radio put in and had to buy a box from them that cost 150 dollars they said it was because the car ran thru it. I don't know for sure just what they told me.

Daytona Bob 11-14-2008 08:20 PM

I just rented the Hertz for a comparison.

They add Sirius radio module and run 2 wires for Antennas.

they also add a Megallan GPS near the radio.

The Antenna someone mentioned that is above the drivers head outside the car is a Sirius aftermarket Antenna.

I suggest looking at the Brake pedal engaged circuit... Mine clicks up near the radio when I push the brake pedal prior to starting. I noticed the Hertz did it also.

Good Luck

RLSebring 11-14-2008 11:45 PM

Great info guys. keep it coming. We are digging into it on Monday and I will post results (if any)

:lurk:

vetterestorer 11-16-2008 12:21 PM

I'm having the same problem....I just bought a wreck and cannot got it started. Its doing the same thing....HELP!!!

jdurhan 11-16-2008 02:45 PM

Can you take a photo of this bus module and loose wires? maybe then we can all come up with a solution to help.

vetterestorer 11-16-2008 08:57 PM

Where is this bus module and the wires??

RLSebring 11-16-2008 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by jdurhan (Post 1567868249)
Can you take a photo of this bus module and loose wires? maybe then we can all come up with a solution to help.

I will try and get my mechanic to get a shot or 2 tomorrow and post them.

Originally Posted by vetterestorer (Post 1567872205)
Where is this bus module and the wires??

Under the dash to the passenger side of the radio area.