CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-forced-induction-nitrous-123/)
-   -   Procharger owners: How many of you have improved the air intake? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-forced-induction-nitrous/2189971-procharger-owners-how-many-of-you-have-improved-the-air-intake.html)

dmaxcamss 11-23-2008 02:49 PM

Procharger owners: How many of you have improved the air intake?

Like the title says, how many of you have improved the air intake of the system? It seems that it's pretty restrictive having that notch in it to go over the radiator.

I just recently discovered that Dallas Performance offers an in-house kit that is a straight piece of stainless pipe with a bigger filter. I was wondering how many of you have this kit and how much power did you pick up?

Or...how many of you made your own "kit"? Seems pretty simple to do, it's just a matter of sourcing the materials, doing the work, etc. I'm wondering if it's worth my time and effort or just buy the kit. Another thing, I was hoping it would be aluminum as it would be lighter, plus I could polish it. I know stainless can be polished too, but it's a different color than aluminum. It seems as polished stainless has a slight yellow tint to it.

PowerLabs 11-23-2008 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by dmaxcamss (Post 1567949422)
Like the title says, how many of you have improved the air intake of the system? It seems that it's pretty restrictive having that notch in it to go over the radiator.

I just recently discovered that Dallas Performance offers an in-house kit that is a straight piece of stainless pipe with a bigger filter. I was wondering how many of you have this kit and how much power did you pick up?

Or...how many of you made your own "kit"? Seems pretty simple to do, it's just a matter of sourcing the materials, doing the work, etc. I'm wondering if it's worth my time and effort or just buy the kit. Another thing, I was hoping it would be aluminum as it would be lighter, plus I could polish it. I know stainless can be polished too, but it's a different color than aluminum. It seems as polished stainless has a slight yellow tint to it.

Is there a way of running an intake to any centrifugal without notching the radiator? It seems like without that notch you wouldn't get enough of an inlet on the blower and the intake pipe would touch the hood...

A&A's Vortech based kit requires it too:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/memb...e-radiator.jpg

aTX427 11-23-2008 04:03 PM

That was my car at Dallas Performance. We made several back to back runs after changing pulleys and consistantly showed huge gains. I am not sure about the OP, but PowerLabs; the reason you personally would need to notch your radiator is because unlike ECS and A&A, ProCharger incliudes a drop cradle that allows you run a short hose from the blower output to the straight down to the intercooler on the passenger side of the car and lines up the intercooler core with direct airflow. Everyone else's kit uses the stock radiator cradle and smaller intercoolers. In addition to lining the intercooler with the airflow, spacing the intercooler away from the AC condenser, eliminating three feet of piping and making boost sooner, it also allows you to run the Dallas Performance 'Big Mouth" CAI.

The red curve was with the stock ProCharger CAI, the blue curve is with no filter and the green curve is with the DP Big Mouth CAI. The HP/TQ difference is significant.
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...Cdynosheet.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...igMouthCAI.jpg

Mr.Big 11-23-2008 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by dmaxcamss (Post 1567949422)

Or...how many of you made your own "kit"? Seems pretty simple to do, it's just a matter of sourcing the materials, doing the work, etc. I'm wondering if it's worth my time and effort or just buy the kit. .

Remember the Dallas Performance kit is a "Custom" filter... This is no B.S. sourced piece... Taylor did all measurements to have the filters custom made to spec. including Larger inlet and Maximum filter surface... Yes you could build your own, but it would not be the same unless you also had a custom filter made ( not cheap )... and yes I too have seen SERIOUS gains from the D.P. "Big mouth kit" more to come very soon!!! lots of neat stuff in the works, I just gotta get back to the U.S. from Panama first...
:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Taylor@DallasPerformance 11-23-2008 07:02 PM

Actually 3-series stainless and 6061/4043 aluminum have an almost identical appearance when polished correctly. Other stainless alloys such as 409 does have a yellow tint.

However I wouldn't mind building you one out of 6061 Aluminum if you want. Heck I could polish it for you if that is really what you are looking for...

Other kits like A&A utilize a shorter end tank design on the intercooler giving more room for a filter. ECS uses a narrow and taller intercooler to give room for the filter.

If you are using a ProCharger intercooler than our filter is your solution. If there was ANY other filter than would have met our requirements already in production believe me we would not have went through the pains and cost of having this one custom made.

dmaxcamss 11-23-2008 07:54 PM

aTX427, I could have swore that was Mr. Big's car in the article/write-up on the Big Mouth. I saw a white nose, so I figured it was his. Is your car white too?

I have the "revised" version that uses the new style cradle. The outlet on the supercharger goes straight down, then loops around the cradle on the passenger side, straight to the intercooler.

Mr.Big, do you mind sharing with us how much power you picked up? Did you do back to back dynos on the same day?

FirstGen, I wasn't aware of that (1st sentence). If you're up to building me one in aluminum, I'd be all for it and yes, I would definitely want it polished! :D If you could do this for me, then I'd be interested in the other piping that goes from the intercooler to the intake in aluminum as well, polished, and with a Tial Q! :reddevil Would you be able to build that pipe too out of aluminum?

Can you put too big of a filter on it? Why not relocate the air intake further down, outside of the engine bay, so it's not sucking up so much hot air?

dmaxcamss 11-23-2008 08:10 PM

Oh...and another thing I noticed making me wonder if this kit will even work for me is the fact that a 4" piping is used. The inlet on a D1SC is only 3.75", so I don't know how a 4" pipe is going to fit unless it uses a reducer.

dmaxcamss 11-23-2008 08:15 PM

Ok...I just went into the garage to have a look and there's no way a straight piece of pipe is going to work, muchless a 4" straight piece of pipe. I have the new style cradle, but it doesn't look like it dropped the radiator enough for a straight piece of pipe to be used.

dmaxcamss 11-23-2008 08:18 PM

Sorry for the multiple posts, but the more I'm looking into this, the more I'm discovering. I went back to the article/description for the Big Mouth and from the pics, that is not a stock radiator. I honestly don't think this kit will work unless you have an aftermarket radiator that is flat on top/shorter.

Taylor@DallasPerformance 11-23-2008 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by dmaxcamss (Post 1567953018)
Sorry for the multiple posts, but the more I'm looking into this, the more I'm discovering. I went back to the article/description for the Big Mouth and from the pics, that is not a stock radiator. I honestly don't think this kit will work unless you have an aftermarket radiator that is flat on top/shorter.

There is no room to relocate the filter down and under the intercooler and maintain a large 4" tube.

Our kit will work on your D1SC inlet at 3.75".

No problem. Yes it works with the stock radiator IF you have the drop cradle. There is no difference in height with the Dewitt unit. It sounds to me like you do not have the new LS3 ProCharger drop cradle. These were only shipped out with new PC kits with in the last year and less.

aTX427 11-23-2008 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by dmaxcamss (Post 1567952668)
aTX427, I could have swore that was Mr. Big's car in the article/write-up on the Big Mouth. I saw a white nose, so I figured it was his. Is your car white too?

Yes, my car is white as well. Jeremy has a coupe with black racing stripes and FAST intake, where mine is a convertible with a stock LS2 intake.

csun213 11-23-2008 11:06 PM

I have a Vortech Supercharger installed by Vortech. Does anyone make a bigger filter for the Vortech?

MachineWorks 11-24-2008 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by FirstGen (Post 1567953895)
There is no room to relocate the filter down and under the intercooler and maintain a large 4" tube.

Our kit will work on your D1SC inlet at 3.75".

No problem. Yes it works with the stock radiator IF you have the drop cradle. There is no difference in height with the Dewitt unit. It sounds to me like you do not have the new LS3 ProCharger drop cradle. These were only shipped out with new PC kits with in the last year and less.

How much is the big mouth kit? I would buy one from you now.

Thanks
Billy

dmaxcamss 11-24-2008 11:45 AM

FirstGen, I ordered my kit sometime towards the end of August (this year) because I installed it Memorial weekend which was in September. Upon ordering, I requested that I get the new cradle that routes the discharge of the supercharger to the passenger side. The rep there said that their kits would be coming with this cradle from here on out.

dmaxcamss 11-24-2008 01:46 PM

Ok...so I called Procharger to verify and they said I had the latest cradle. I can tell you that a straight piece of pipe isn't going to work. I'll go over my installation and see if there is any adjustment that can lower the radiator.

FirstGen, I called for you about a hour ago, but you were busy with a customer. Give me a call, I left my name and number. Thanks.

dmaxcamss 11-24-2008 06:13 PM

I just jacked the car up to get a better look, the radiator is definitely sitting all the way down. There is no adjustment whatsoever to bring the radiator down. The only way I can see lowering it is either cutting the lower mounting plates and welding them at a lower spot or spacing the entire cradle down, but that would not be feasible because that would take away from my ground clearance.

I have the new drop down cradle and it did lower it, but I can tell you that it does not sit down low enough for a straight piece of pipe to work on the inlet.

This is driving me nuts because I want to replace this piece.

MachineWorks 11-24-2008 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by dmaxcamss (Post 1567963911)
I just jacked the car up to get a better look, the radiator is definitely sitting all the way down. There is no adjustment whatsoever to bring the radiator down. The only way I can see lowering it is either cutting the lower mounting plates and welding them at a lower spot or spacing the entire cradle down, but that would not be feasible because that would take away from my ground clearance.

I have the new drop down cradle and it did lower it, but I can tell you that it does not sit down low enough for a straight piece of pipe to work on the inlet.

This is driving me nuts because I want to replace this piece.

I cut my mounts off the cradle and move them down and rewelded them.

Mike@G-Force 11-25-2008 01:04 PM

We have a 4" inlet on my bros car dmaxcamss. We lowered the cradle about a inch and we created a 4" inlet out of a 4" 90 deg bend and a straight 4" piece of pipe.

IT was a PITA.

LJo 11-25-2008 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by dmaxcamss (Post 1567960612)
Ok...so I called Procharger to verify and they said I had the latest cradle. I can tell you that a straight piece of pipe isn't going to work. I'll go over my installation and see if there is any adjustment that can lower the radiator.

FirstGen, I called for you about a hour ago, but you were busy with a customer. Give me a call, I left my name and number. Thanks.

Ok I guess I will clear up some confusion here.

LS2 Corvette Procharger System pre-July '08 used the stock cradle with lowering blocks and a bracket that was taller to clear the radiator.

LS2/LS3/LS7 Corvette Procharger System post-July '08 now include a modified cradle and a lower bracket as their is no reason to have the Procharger up that high anymore.

If you have the pre-July system and only do the cradle upgrade your inlet will be completely unrestricted by the radiator.

Taylor@DallasPerformance 11-25-2008 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by LJo (Post 1567973993)
Ok I guess I will clear up some confusion here.

LS2 Corvette Procharger System pre-July '08 used the stock cradle with lowering blocks and a bracket that was taller to clear the radiator.

LS2/LS3/LS7 Corvette Procharger System post-July '08 now include a modified cradle and a lower bracket as their is no reason to have the Procharger up that high anymore.

If you have the pre-July system and only do the cradle upgrade your inlet will be completely unrestricted by the radiator.

Great info, thanks for clearing that up...