CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3s for Sale/Wanted (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3s-for-sale-wanted-56/)
-   -   Thinking of buying '74 Stingray (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3s-for-sale-wanted/2197051-thinking-of-buying-74-stingray.html)

RalliartG3rl 12-03-2008 10:47 AM

Thinking of buying '74 Stingray

I know someone who is getting rid of their '74 Stingray Ttop due to injuries to his elobws he can no longer drive it. He is asking $7500 for it. He bought it from someone else for $6300 and claims to have done $2000 in repairs.
The car has rust damage on the engine as well as the body although it has a fairly new paint job, looks like it was painted without proper care to the body. other thn that the body is fine.
the interior needs major restoring and doent have the origonal radio.
it has 90,000 miles on it.
i dont have pictures yet butwill post some soon, anyways i would just like to know if $7500 is a good price for this car.
i dont know much about corvettes but cars are a big hobby of mine and im looking for a light progect car. Corvettes are very fascinating (and sexy). Im willing to learn as i go pretty much.

DIP51 12-03-2008 11:33 AM

Sounds kinda high if there are rust issues. That can get very pricey!!! :eek:

jrzvette 12-03-2008 12:13 PM

[QUOTE=RalliartG3rl;1568060933]
The car has rust damage on the engine as well as the body although it has a fairly new paint job, looks like it was painted without proper care to the body. other thn that the body is fine.
the interior needs major restoring and doent have the origonal radio.
it has 90,000 miles on it.[QUOTE]

The body can't rust, it's fiberglass. If you mean rust on the frame or the bird cage (the steel structure that surrounds the cockpit) be very careful. Surface rust is ok but for anything more serious the repairs can cost big $$$. What does the interior need: seat covers, carpets, panels, gauges? Go on-line and check the prices for the replacement parts from a few of the reputable after market suppliers (MAD, Corvette Central, ZIP, Ecklers) to get an idea of what you're in for.

1974 was the last of the true dual exhaust Corvettes so it may have some value, but it will never be a C1 or C2. What engine/trans does it have?

m8rixguy 12-03-2008 02:59 PM

With today's market I say the price is high. Example: there is a 74 listed on ebay (close to my location) that has fresh paint but needs some finishing for $5,500.

Also, as the others have said, if there are rust issues the price of fixing can go up very fast.

RFP 12-03-2008 05:16 PM

I don't think so...

I'm sure that others may disagree with me on this (and perhaps rightly so), but I think you are contemplating a nightmare!

If your goal is to end up with a 'very nice car,' maybe not quite 'show car' quality, but a respectible looking, and driving, and reliable 'Vette, this is probably not the way to go.

I have no idea how many times I have seen 'basket case' cars for sale by owners who started out with stars in their eyes and hope in their heart... and not much else. What they found after getting into the project is that automobile restoration - even a modest restoration - is a costly enterprise, indeed. "My loss, your gain" is the general theme of these for sale ads, and sooner or later the problem-project is passed on (sold) to the next owner. Most often, these project are never finished and those involved are tired, disgusted, and disillusioned.

I recall an excellent restorer's advice: "when restoring any given make/model, always start out with the best car you can find."

I suspect that in 99% of the cases, he is right... starting out with a good car will result in a 'very nice car' at the lowest cost.

Anyway, as they say, YMMV!!

Good luck, and welcome to The Forum!

Rob

Paul L 12-03-2008 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by RFP (Post 1568065551)
I'm sure that others may disagree with me on this (and perhaps rightly so), but I think you are contemplating a nightmare!

If your goal is to end up with a 'very nice car,' maybe not quite 'show car' quality, but a respectible looking, and driving, and reliable 'Vette, this is probably not the way to go.

I have no idea how many times I have seen 'basket case' cars for sale by owners who started out with stars in their eyes and hope in their heart... and not much else. What they found after getting into the project is that automobile restoration - even a modest restoration - is a costly enterprise, indeed. "My loss, your gain" is the general theme of these for sale ads, and sooner or later the problem-project is passed on (sold) to the next owner. Most often, these project are never finished and those involved are tired, disgusted, and disillusioned.

I recall an excellent restorer's advice: "when restoring any given make/model, always start out with the best car you can find."

I suspect that in 99% of the cases, he is right... starting out with a good car will result in a 'very nice car' at the lowest cost.

Anyway, as they say, YNNV!!

Good luck, and welcome to The Forum!

Rob

This is so true. I've been around here for a long time and seen that resoration failure scenario repeated ad naseum. The 1974 is a pretty car although not much "desired." You can get a very clean and solid example for a reasonable price. Then just drive and enjoy rather than pulling out the VISA card and getting frustrated.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ober08-001.jpg

Alwyn678 12-03-2008 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by paul67 (Post 1568065838)
This is so true. I've been around here for a long time and seen that resoration failure scenario repeated ad naseum. The 1974 is a pretty car although not much "desired." You can get a very clean and solid example for a reasonable price. Then just drive and enjoy rather than pulling out the VISA card and getting frustrated.

:iagree: I have NEVER understood why either! It is a GORGEOUS year and the LAST year of the BIG BlOCK

BADAZ427 12-04-2008 03:53 PM

FS 1974 Corvette Coupe

Posted a '74 Stingray for sale 12/1. See "FS 1974 Corvette Coupe" for details. Photos can be seen in "My Corvette Photos" (Haven't figured out how to upload successfully to thread). Any interest? Car is located in Scottsdale, AZ. Where are you located?
Thx.

sonnystingray 12-04-2008 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by paul67 (Post 1568065838)

I agree with the failed restorations. Its better to be safe than sorry. You may want to have someone else take a look with you to get a second opinion.

As far as "not being desired" I disagree...........Im kinda partial to the 74's:lol:

vettebuyer6369 12-05-2008 12:29 AM

Asking price sounds too high for what you have described. However:

-I don't know what "rust damage" to an engine is. Could you elaborate?
-Does the motor VIN match the body VIN?
-How bad is the body?
-Do you have any idea where to look for real rust issues on this car? I'm guessing not.

I would not describe this car as a "light project." It sounds like a body/paint job, new interior, engine rebuild at a minimum, plus whatever. We call these "full restorations." Are you really up for this? It will be very pricey and you will be far upside down regarding real value in a hurry.

nutsy 12-06-2008 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Alwyn678 (Post 1568069004)
:iagree: I have NEVER understood why either! It is a GORGEOUS year and the LAST year of the BIG BlOCK

i also agree, i love the 74. and for the price of them there a steal.

coolhandluke74' 06-15-2010 04:40 PM

noob

my grandfather just gave me a 74' stingray and i wanted to know if anyone could help me estimate how much money im going to have to dump into it to get it right?

the front right pitman arm is disconnected at the ball joint, the back window is busted, there is a tear in the front bumper, the point towards the front of the hood is broken exposing the reinforcement sheet metal and the carburator needs to be rebuilt. i would also like to replace the all of the wiring harnesses. the engine and transmission were both replaced and have about 8000 miles on them, but it has not been tagged since 1980! so it has not run much as you can imagine. BUT, the car DOES start and WILL run it just has some trouble getting started due to the carb.

any suggestions/estimates are appriciated

a560156 06-15-2010 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869 (Post 1568084304)
Asking price sounds too high for what you have described. However:

-I don't know what "rust damage" to an engine is. Could you elaborate?
-Does the motor VIN match the body VIN?
-How bad is the body?
-Do you have any idea where to look for real rust issues on this car? I'm guessing not.

I would not describe this car as a "light project." It sounds like a body/paint job, new interior, engine rebuild at a minimum, plus whatever. We call these "full restorations." Are you really up for this? It will be very pricey and you will be far upside down regarding real value in a hurry.

:iagree:

A price of "free" would be too high. Been there.