CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Tire pressure monitors (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/2205562-tire-pressure-monitors.html)

Alleninfolsom 12-15-2008 12:22 AM

Tire pressure monitors

I recently had a valve stem snapped off in an accident and had to replace the TPM sending unit in one wheel. I was told that the entire system could be reprogrammed by (1) with the ignition on but the car not running press the "lock" & "unlock" keyfob buttons simultaneously. (2)At that point the horn is supposed to chirp, indicating the computer was in program mode. (3)From that point you start at the LF tire and place a heavy magnet over the valve stem and await another horn chirp. THis process is then repeated from LF to RF to RR to LR.
Here's the problem: when I press both keys simultaneously NOTHING happens. No horn, no nothing. Can someone please tell me how to properly do this procedure. As it now stands I am driving around with the message screen telling me I have a flat tire. Thanks!:smash:

GrayC5 12-15-2008 01:04 AM

The TPMs are reprogrammed using the DIC and not the FOB. Here's the procedure that can be found in the C5 Tech Tips section of the Forum:

Resetting Tire Pressure Monitors

HTH :yesnod:

Alleninfolsom 12-15-2008 01:24 PM

These blogs are invaluable! Thanks for the assistance.

SavPrato 12-15-2008 04:23 PM

FYI - I had a similar problem with my other car (08 Malibu) and no magnet was required. Instead of placing a magnet near the valve stem, I let the air out of each tire (slowly) until the horn chirped. Got all four wheels done an about 2 minutes, then had to top up the air pressures in the tires (about 4 lbs. each). I wonder if this woulld work on other GM cars? The C6?:willy:

dmoore 12-15-2008 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Alleninfolsom (Post 1568200587)
I recently had a valve stem snapped off in an accident and had to replace the TPM sending unit in one wheel. I was told that the entire system could be reprogrammed by (1) with the ignition on but the car not running press the "lock" & "unlock" keyfob buttons simultaneously. (2)At that point the horn is supposed to chirp, indicating the computer was in program mode. :

Thats how you resynch your key fob.

Vetteman Jack 12-15-2008 11:18 PM

Follow the procedure mentioned by GrayC5 and you'll be OK. What you were told has nothing to do with the TPS training.

damilleniumboy 12-15-2008 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by dmoore (Post 1568207541)
Thats how you resynch your key fob.

:iagree: To reset FOB's you have to do it like you had, but according to GrayC5's reply, that is the only way to reset TPMS.

GrayC5 The TPMs are reprogrammed using the DIC and not the FOB. Here's the procedure that can be found in the C5 Tech Tips section of the Forum:

De_Vette 12-15-2008 11:49 PM

I just programmed a brand new set using the above mentioned procedure. I used to have two fairly powerful magnets laying around the garage but as usual they were nowhere to be found when I needed them. The only magnet available was the one on the bottom of my Craftsman magnetish dish. Believe it or not it worked like a charm. ;)