CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Installed my removable rear window (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/2222767-installed-my-removable-rear-window.html)

dariopop 01-09-2009 01:07 PM

Installed my removable rear window

Well, my wife bought me all of the parts to replace my rear window on my 76 to a removable one. All of the parts were purchased from paragon except the alum frame and window which I won on ebay for $150.00.
Everything just about bolted right up except for drilling a few mounting holes. I got it completed in about 7 hours. Installing the gasket was a real PITA but I was able to get it in and hold it in place with the window while the adhesive cured. Can't wait for summer now. Total cost was about $400.00 not that bad. I bet you could even keep the cost down if you bought all of the parts on ebay. I wanted new latches and gasket bit I did see used items on ebay. I think this one of the best conversions that I have done on my car .
Dario :D

silver 76 01-09-2009 03:18 PM

Sounds like a good idea.:cheers:

redman76 01-09-2009 03:29 PM

I want to do the same thing on my '76. It's on my list, but not at the top . . . will get to it one of these years. That is going to feel so good and will look great too.

Did you give your wife the list of what to buy or do what I do and order for her? :D

Alan 71 01-09-2009 03:35 PM

Driving with the window out the first time is pretty interesting because you hear everything behind you in a new way.
Well Done,
Alan

DZRick 01-09-2009 05:05 PM

The removable rear window is one of those 68-72 features that they should've kept. Your going to love it.:thumbs:

kdf1986 01-09-2009 08:48 PM

I have a 72 and like driving around with the tops off and the window out. On my 73, I miss having the same experience and have often wondered about doing the conversion.

It sounds like it can be done, at a resonable price, and make it a weekend project. I can put it on my later list.

Glad you got yours in, and enjoy the new drives with the window out.

kdf

myway76 01-09-2009 09:18 PM

Yeah' this one's on my list too. Seems like it would relieve the wind turbulence behind the head.:thumbs:

RMS73 01-09-2009 09:32 PM

I did it on my 73 right after I got it. You will enjoy the driving next spring and summer. A warm winter day will be a good opportunity.

Roger

Oldguard 7 01-09-2009 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by RMS73 (Post 1568495565)
I did it on my 73 right after I got it. You will enjoy the driving next spring and summer. A warm winter day will be a good opportunity.

Roger

Im concerned about the increased "theiveability" with the removable rear window. I read a book on corvettes several years ago and it stated this was one of the reasons why Chevy discontinued the removable rear window. Is there any truth to this or is it just an opinion?

LeMans Pete 01-09-2009 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Oldguard 7 (Post 1568496070)
Im concerned about the increased "theiveability" with the removable rear window. I read a book on corvettes several years ago and it stated this was one of the reasons why Chevy discontinued the removable rear window. Is there any truth to this or is it just an opinion?

The t-tops are way more vulnerable than a pop out rear window which they kept for another 10 years.

Artsvette73 01-09-2009 10:48 PM

Did my 73 and happy with it. Not hard at all the weatherstrip takes the longest. However I see a problem with later cars without the deck grilles. Pretty hard the get the metal anchor plates in for thew bottom guide pins. Thats the only thing holding me back to do it to my 77 I'll figure something out

dariopop 01-10-2009 12:22 AM

ArtsVette73
I didn't have a problem with the metal anchor plates for the bottom guide pins. The cutouts in the fiberglass were already there for the pins and the upper hindges. What would the deck grills do for securing the window pins? I never got a good look at an earlier c3 that had the option so I don't really know if mine was different or not in the back. Can't figure out what the deck grills would do for securing anything back there? Clue me in here while I already have the rear molding off and I can add some more support if needed.
Thanks Dario

Bric 01-10-2009 12:32 AM

This is on my to do list for my '76 also. :thumbs:

Any chance of seeing some pics of your finished product or the install?? Any suggestions on how to install the seal/weatherstrip?? That seems to be everybody's difficult part.

:chevy

dariopop 01-10-2009 02:23 AM

Bric, go to my public profile ,I posted a few pics of my conversion in my album.
. I installed all of the latches 1st so the window fit into it and than I did the weatherstrip.The weather strip was pretty easy,because I repainted my car last winter and installed new weatherstrip on the car ,t-top and all so I really got good at it. On the rear window weatherstripping start the bottom 1st and after that is cured work yourself up the sides and cut the top to fit in the middle,( you want the cut on top not on the bottom ) about an inch will be cut off, from what I am told they all need to be cut because they are always to big. I used the window itself to hold it in place as it dryed, pretty easy job overall. I thought that I was going to have problems with the rear halo panals,but when the screws were all out ,they just dropped down.

Artsvette73 01-10-2009 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by dariopop (Post 1568497300)
ArtsVette73
I didn't have a problem with the metal anchor plates for the bottom guide pins. The cutouts in the fiberglass were already there for the pins and the upper hindges. What would the deck grills do for securing the window pins? I never got a good look at an earlier c3 that had the option so I don't really know if mine was different or not in the back. Can't figure out what the deck grills would do for securing anything back there? Clue me in here while I already have the rear molding off and I can add some more support if needed.
Thanks Dario

There is a top and bottom plate for the guide pins. Just screwing the top plate into fiberglass wont last. The idea is to sandwich the fiberglass in between the two plates. The only way I could do this is by removing the deck grilles. Then I could hold the bottom plate and secure it from the top with the two screws.

______ top guide pin plate
______ plastic guide
______ fiberglass
______ bottom guide pin anchor plate

dariopop 01-10-2009 01:11 PM

Artsvette73'
OK, now I know what your talking about. On my car,as should be on your 77 ,if you remove the bottom interior bar that gives you access to that area you should be able to get to the underside of the area that you are talking about. On my car it was completely open and accessible to bolt the metal and plastic guides in place. That was where you were confussing me, maybe it's differant on the 69-72 models, but your 77 should be just like mine in back, only change was your console . I will check to see if I posted a pic in my profile album,if not I will take a picture of it and post it.
Thanks Dario

jackson 01-10-2009 01:25 PM

dario:
I had a 71 coupe with OE Removable Window ... it was nice ... you'll probably enjoy your RW a lot.

Does your conversion/retro also include an interior storage tray for RW per the OE design? Not necessary but handy on a trip if you have other stuff back there when you take RW in/out.

-add- as for theft ending RW for 73 ... dunno? Ragtop lasted another year or two right? Maybe it was more a safety perception/lawsuit or combo of reasons? My best guess ... more profitable to make t-top & t-top only.

Artsvette73 01-10-2009 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by dariopop (Post 1568501190)
Artsvette73'
OK, now I know what your talking about. On my car,as should be on your 77 ,if you remove the bottom interior bar that gives you access to that area you should be able to get to the underside of the area that you are talking about. On my car it was completely open and accessible to bolt the metal and plastic guides in place. That was where you were confussing me, maybe it's differant on the 69-72 models, but your 77 should be just like mine in back, only change was your console . I will check to see if I posted a pic in my profile album,if not I will take a picture of it and post it.
Thanks Dario

To be honest I haven't looked at my 77 to see if it was diffrent than my 73 I just assumed it was the same. I will check it out.

dariopop 01-10-2009 10:27 PM

Jackson,
No I did not install the window holder,seem like a real PITA to do plus on e-bay they go for big bucks.
Anybody interested can go to my profile album and look at the pictures I put there.
That 's as far as I could get the pictures to go, how in the heck do you get them moved to the thread???
Dario

SmokinBBC 01-10-2009 10:31 PM

I've never seen one of them...got any pics?