CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Autocrossing & Roadracing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing-23/)
-   -   Quick release steering wheel (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing/2232036-quick-release-steering-wheel.html)

az55 01-21-2009 02:04 PM

Quick release steering wheel

What type do you guys use? I'm looking at Sparco 350mm with Sparco bolt-on hub. This is a dedicated track car. Any issues? What about Momo or LTB? Any feed-back is appreciated.

Cheers,
CV

The Spark 01-21-2009 03:20 PM

:lurk:

Looking to replace my C5 steering wheel too.
Would sure make it easier getting in/out of the race seat.

mikahb 01-21-2009 06:59 PM

I'm using the Sparco 333 with a Sparco hub kit and the LTB quick-release mechanism. All together, I'm very happy with the setup. I'm just about 6'2" and I specifically wanted the LTB unit because it moved the steering wheel back so that my driving position is about perfect. There is a slight bit of play in the LTB unit, but not more than I've felt in several other setups.

Whatever you do with a wheel (I'm sure a variety of sizes/shapes will work great), I would highly recommend the suede finish. It's easy to grip and comfortable - even for 25-hour races. :cheers:

GlenRoseFireFighter 01-21-2009 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by mikahb (Post 1568640998)
I'm using the Sparco 333 with a Sparco hub kit and the LTB quick-release mechanism. All together, I'm very happy with the setup. I'm just about 6'2" and I specifically wanted the LTB unit because it moved the steering wheel back so that my driving position is about perfect. There is a slight bit of play in the LTB unit, but not more than I've felt in several other setups.

Whatever you do with a wheel (I'm sure a variety of sizes/shapes will work great), I would highly recommend the suede finish. It's easy to grip and comfortable - even for 25-hour races. :cheers:

Pics?

mikahb 01-21-2009 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by CRASH-Racing (Post 1568642896)
Pics?

Went down and snapped a couple. Good thing I drive better than I model for pics. :)

Driving position - very comfortable for me.
http://www.vetteracer.net/images/int..._3004_1024.JPG

Side view - you can see how much the TLB quick-release sets the wheel back towards me.
http://www.vetteracer.net/images/int..._3006_1024.JPG

Here you can see the hub(s) and how it all fits together.
http://www.vetteracer.net/images/int..._3007_1024.JPG

Hope that helps - if not, lemme know what you want to see. :cheers:

GlenRoseFireFighter 01-22-2009 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by mikahb (Post 1568644369)

Hope that helps - if not, lemme know what you want to see. :cheers:

that did help. Looks like you're where I plan to be eventually. I recently bought an 03 TR C5Z06 as a weekend road racer. Do you have a website I can visit to see your progression from stock to current form? What's your racing weight?

az55 01-22-2009 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by mikahb (Post 1568640998)

Mikahb, thanks for the feedback and the pics.:cool: It appears that the LTB unit gives you an extra few inches out from the column. Is that about right? Do you get the same amount of play if you use the Sparco? BTW, my wheel will be suede for sure.:thumbs:

Cheers,
CV

mikahb 01-22-2009 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by CRASH-Racing (Post 1568648869)
that did help. Looks like you're where I plan to be eventually. I recently bought an 03 TR C5Z06 as a weekend road racer. Do you have a website I can visit to see your progression from stock to current form? What's your racing weight?

Well, I went from stock to T1 the old fashioned way... I sold my stock car and bought an already built, low mileage T1 machine. The only things I've done to it are recently strip the interior (per new rules for 2009) and make the little center console panel.

My race weight was about 3325 at the end of a race with probably 3 or 4 gallons of fuel. I think I've taken real close to 100 pounds out with the interior, big fire system, and seat sliders (drivers seat is now bolted direclty to the floor) so I should be right around 3220 or so at the end of a race. :thumbs:

Originally Posted by az55
Mikahb, thanks for the feedback and the pics. It appears that the LTB unit gives you an extra few inches out from the column. Is that about right? Do you get the same amount of play if you use the Sparco? BTW, my wheel will be suede for sure.

No prob. The Sparco hub is actually all there - the LTB unit goes between the wheel and the Sparco hub kit. Without the LTB piece, there is no quick release - no release at all in fact - just the wheel bolted to the column. So, with that setup, there is no play at all. With the LTB unit, it's minimal and I honestly only notice it when I'm NOT on track. Once the flag drops there's enough other stuff going on to distract me from that. :)

spazegun2213 01-22-2009 08:22 PM

I like smaller wheels, since the first on my 944 was a 330mm Sparco, I LOVED it. When i sold the car, the two things i wish i had kept were that wheel, and the SPG. I had an NRG quick release that worked REALLY well, since it only goes on one way, it makes finding "that spot" perfect.

On my vette the PO had a welded on one, and I changed the wheel to an NRG 230mm wheel. The wheel set me back $120 shipped and I love it just as much as my old sparco.

I also agree, suede is the way to go!

fhturner 01-26-2009 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by mikahb (Post 1568644369)
Side view - you can see how much the TLB quick-release sets the wheel back towards me.

Mikah--

Can you quantify how far rearward the wheel is (relative to a stock GM wheel) after using the LTB mechanism? An inch? Two...three? I'm about your height, and having my seat far enough back to not jam my legs up means I have to reach too far for the wheel. Was thinking about some sort of extension, but maybe this quick-release piece will serve that purpose?

Thanks,
Fred

mikahb 01-27-2009 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by fhturner (Post 1568708493)
Mikah--

Can you quantify how far rearward the wheel is (relative to a stock GM wheel) after using the LTB mechanism? An inch? Two...three? I'm about your height, and having my seat far enough back to not jam my legs up means I have to reach too far for the wheel. Was thinking about some sort of extension, but maybe this quick-release piece will serve that purpose?

Thanks,
Fred

Hey Fred - not having a stock C5 handy that I can compare to, I just measured the dimension marked below:

http://www.vetteracer.net/images/int...6_1024_dim.jpg

From the stock console "seam" to the center of the new wheel is right at 9 inches. Hopefully that's enough to give you what you're after. But, if you're my height, I think that oughta get you pretty close. Let me know if you have more questions. :cheers: