CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance-101/)
-   -   LG Mororsports Sawr Bar End Links Installed (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance/2259426-lg-mororsports-sawr-bar-end-links-installed.html)

RFP 02-23-2009 06:16 PM

LG Motorsports Sway Bar End Links Installed

Well, maybe I didn't actually need these :rolleyes:... but, being a devotee of profound overkill, I just installed the "quiet" sway bar end links that I got from LG Motorsports. To call these things "heavy duty"
would be an understatement...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...o/CIMG3157.jpg

The LG link compared to the OEM rubber-baby-buggy-bumper part! The photo does not accurately show the difference in the two... the LG link is simply massive as compared to the stock piece.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...o/CIMG3158.jpg

///DarkSide\\\ 02-23-2009 06:35 PM

C:yesnod::yesnod:L

muskaroxs 02-23-2009 11:06 PM

could you feel a difference

BornSUPERCHARGED 02-23-2009 11:11 PM

You have a couple of typos in your title...

RFP 02-24-2009 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by muskaroxs (Post 1569064065)
could you feel a difference

Uh oh… that’s an embarrassing question! The ‘Vette hasn’t been out of the garage since the install! :o

So… I’ll have to get back to you.

But, to be completely honest, I suppose that one would have to be a good deal more perceptive than I am to detect any huge difference… or, at least do the ‘evaluation’ driving closer to ‘the edge’ than I am likely to do (at least for a while).

So, all of that begs the question: "why do it at all?" Well, I view the LG links (as well as the Pfadt bushings) as a significant improvement over 'stock'... and that was good enough for me!

Have a great week!

Rob

RFP 02-24-2009 09:45 AM

Oops (!)

Originally Posted by simplyphp (Post 1569064131)
You have a couple of typos in your title...

Apparently, I was under the influence of some kind of euphoria that distracted me from the careful typing that my dear old high school typing teacher tried so vigorously to instill in me! Or, maybe it was that I was just so darned happy to have actually finished installing something or other (not one of my strengths!).

Anyway, as another who values good spelling, syntax, and grammar, I own up to my earlier – and obvious – sloppiness, and have made appropriate corrections.

I haven’t been on this Forum all that long, but it occurred to be quite some time ago that if I were to self-appoint myself as spelling police, it would be more of a full-time job than I wanted to assume. YMMV!

Have a super day! :D

Rob

Anthony @ LGMotorsports 02-24-2009 11:15 AM

Looks great buddy!

Thanks for coming in the other day for everything, always glad to get to speak face to face with our customers! :thumbs:

Thanks again from all of us! :cheers:

AORoads 02-24-2009 01:38 PM

You've got a good attitude, Rob. No one's trying to kill you on spelling but it was a bit difficult to decipher what you were saying in the title. :rofl: So what the heck, I decided to go to the thread. Good pics and post.

Thanks. And post up when you get the car out and tell us if you can or can't feel any difference. :cheers:

RFP 02-24-2009 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by AORoads (Post 1569069679)
You've got a good attitude, Rob. No one's trying to kill you on spelling but it was a bit difficult to decipher what you were saying in the title. :rofl: So what the heck, I decided to go to the thread. Good pics and post.:

Oh, I know... Hey, it's all good!:D

Actually one would have to be a mind reader to figure out what I was posting about! Heck, I'm surprised that anybody clicked in here...:crazy:

Originally Posted by AORoads (Post 1569069679)
Thanks. And post up when you get the car out and tell us if you can or can't feel any difference. :cheers:

OK... I will. When doing the install, it became clear that LG's end links are substantially stronger than the [aluminum] attaccment points on the car.

Webz 02-24-2009 05:04 PM

I would be interested in any noise you might hear/experience. Heim endlinks are paramount for correctly installing swaybars without preload. However they typically generate more mechanical noise. I thought LG advertises the endlinks you installed as little to no noise.

RFP 02-24-2009 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Webz (Post 1569071905)
I would be interested in any noise you might hear/experience. Heim endlinks are paramount for correctly installing swaybars without preload. However they typically generate more mechanical noise. I thought LG advertises the endlinks you installed as little to no noise.

I [finally] got the Garage Rocket out for a Tuesday version of a "Sunday Drive" a little while ago. There is no noise at all... none... nada... zip! :thumbs:

Of course, they are new and might develop a bit of 'character' later; who knows? LG sells these as "quiet" end links, and so far they certainly are.
:bigears

old motorhead 02-24-2009 06:38 PM

What are they supposed to do that the stockers don't?

DRLC5 02-24-2009 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by RFP (Post 1569060067)
Well, maybe I didn't actually need these :rolleyes:... but, being a devotee of profound overkill, I just installed the "quiet" sway bar end links that I got from LG Motorsports. To call these things "heavy duty"
would be an understatement...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...o/CIMG3157.jpg

The LG link compared to the OEM rubber-baby-buggy-bumper part! The photo does not accurately show the difference in the two... the LG link is simply massive as compared to the stock piece.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...o/CIMG3158.jpg

Looks great. Were they easy to install? Any tricks to the install? Thanks.

jxhunte 02-24-2009 09:11 PM

The stock end links are shaped similar to that of the letter (Z). The LG's are not offset like the stock end links but shaped more like an exclamation point (!). Does this change the geometry of the sway bar, the way it mounts and functions or are the pictures misleading.

RFP 02-25-2009 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by DRLC5 (Post 1569074822)
Looks great. Were they easy to install? Any tricks to the install? Thanks.

The install is really pretty straightforward... although it would be nice if LG provided some printed 'instructions' (maybe they do, and I just failed to pick mine up as I was leaving). :rolleyes:

It is easy to see how to install the two 'spacers' that go on each bolt... you can see what spacing is needed to provide clearance and to allow the Heim links to move freely. I could - and probably should - take some better photos of my car the next time I've got it up on jacks to show how those spacers were installed on my car.

The only real 'surprise' that I ran into was that the 1/2" bolts provided by LG would not go through the rear bar and the front cradle mounting points... those holes were slightly undersize. Anyway, it was a simple matter to load up the cordless DeWalt drill with a good 1/2" bit and ream out he holes. This wasn't a big deal... just another 'step' in the install.
:D

RFP 02-25-2009 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by jxhunte (Post 1569074967)
The stock end links are shaped similar to that of the letter (Z). The LG's are not offset like the stock end links but shaped more like an exclamation point (!). Does this change the geometry of the sway bar, the way it mounts and functions or are the pictures misleading.

Good morning, Joe...

Actually, the LG links are 'shaped' just like the stock ones... my [crummy] photo just doesn't show it. If you could just visualize the link with one bolt going "one way" and the other bolt going "the other way"... you would see the same "letter Z" shape.

As this thread continues, I can see that not only are my spelling (and proofreading) skills stink-O, my photos are not all that good either! :o

RFP 02-25-2009 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by old motorhead (Post 1569073005)
What are they supposed to do that the stockers don't?

Happy Wednesday!

Well, the first 'advantage' is their obvious robust construction. Rumor has it that some of the 'stockers' are loose and sloppy in pretty short order.

Secondly (and the Autocross guys could do a better job here :yesnod: ) they are adjustable... so 'pre-load' can be dialed in to better tune the suspension to varying conditions, courses, etc.

jxhunte 02-25-2009 09:42 PM

RFP, thanks for your post with pictures. I will be adding the Z51 Sway Bar Kit and will consider adding LG's HD Quiet End Links as a part of this project. It is now clear to me that the LG's and Stock End Links share the same geometry. Thanks for clearing this up.

mirage2991 02-25-2009 10:20 PM

I'll be making my own shortly...4 male, 4 female rod ends, 4 jam nuts, 4 grade 8 bolt and 4 sleeves :)

///DarkSide\\\ 02-25-2009 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by RFP (Post 1569079447)
Happy Wednesday!

Well, the first 'advantage' is their obvious robust construction. Rumor has it that some of the 'stockers' are loose and sloppy in pretty short order.

Secondly (and the Autocross guys could do a better job here :yesnod: ) they are adjustable... so 'pre-load' can be dialed in to better tune the suspension to varying conditions, courses, etc.

I'll add to strength & adjustability...

Both good things, but in my experience, the most sought after benefit would be the elimination of squishy rubber bushings that "squish" some before the sway bar actually "sways".

While rubber bushings reduce N/V/H for a street car, the trade off is slightly less precision in the movement of suspension parts to turn, accelerate & stop. :thumbs:

PS - Changing just this one part will be hard to detect, but the line between want & need becomes blurry when it comes to mods.;)