CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   Hardtop vendors (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/2279927-hardtop-vendors.html)

ren 03-19-2009 03:52 PM

Hardtop vendors

I'm considering getting a hardtop for my 63. I've unsuccessfully bid on a few on ebay. Those that I bid on would need almost complete restoration. Has anyone ever purchased or seen a top that came from "SmoothLine" or "Cranes"?

Glasshole 03-19-2009 07:07 PM

Just curious......Why would you want the hard top? It scratches the heck out of the paint on your rear deck when it is on the car (or at least it did on mine). I am getting a new paint job so I don't ever plan on putting it back on. I am actually just hanging onto it for re-sale value down the road.

Bob

65BBRAGTOP 03-19-2009 07:48 PM

I saw one en ebay earlier today. Check item number 270356485146.

macs65 03-19-2009 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by ren (Post 1569362870)
I'm considering getting a hardtop for my 63. I've unsuccessfully bid on a few on ebay. Those that I bid on would need almost complete restoration. Has anyone ever purchased or seen a top that came from "SmoothLine" or "Cranes"?

I rebuilt my top in 2006, picked up a rear window at
"The Hardtop Shop" in PA. They had a large inventory of C1 and C2 tops. They appeared to be very knowlegable. At that time I beleive that a C2 top was in the $3500.00 range. They do have a very good web site. Not familiar with the two names you provided.

muncieman 03-19-2009 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by macs65 (Post 1569366647)
I rebuilt my top in 2006, picked up a rear window at
"The Hardtop Shop" in PA. They had a large inventory of C1 and C2 tops. They appeared to be very knowlegable. At that time I beleive that a C2 top was in the $3500.00 range. They do have a very good web site. Not familiar with the two names you provided.

These guys restored the 62 hardtop, flawless work, thing looks new.

Hitch 03-19-2009 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Gl******* (Post 1569365323)
Just curious......Why would you want the hard top? It scratches the heck out of the paint on your rear deck when it is on the car (or at least it did on mine). I am getting a new paint job so I don't ever plan on putting it back on. I am actually just hanging onto it for re-sale value down the road.

Bob

I really like my hardtop.. It's been on the car for about two years now...

To the OP the best place to find a hard top is as close to your location as you can. Pay as little as you can for a complete top as you will most likely have to replace the headliner, rear window and the weather stripping. Make sure that you have the rest though as it can get expensive purchasing interior and exterior molding. :iagree:

Glasshole 03-19-2009 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Hitch (Post 1569367492)
I really like my hardtop.. It's been on the car for about two years now...

To the OP the best place to find a hard top is as close to your location as you can. Pay as little as you can for a complete top as you will most likely have to replace the headliner, rear window and the weather stripping. Make sure that you have the rest though as it can get expensive purchasing interior and exterior molding. :iagree:

Well if you leave it on all the time I guess it won't make a difference what it does to the rear deck however when you do decide to take it off you will probably see what I mean...... I had the same problem with my brand new 02 T-Bird that had the removable hard top.

Cheers,

Bob

wmf62 03-19-2009 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Gl******* (Post 1569367755)
Well if you leave it on all the time I guess it won't make a difference what it does to the rear deck however when you do decide to take it off you will probably see what I mean...... I had the same problem with my brand new 02 T-Bird that had the removable hard top.

Cheers,

Bob

if you put the plastic strips on the deck lid between the hardtop and the deck lid you won't have that problem.
Bill

56 Texas 03-19-2009 10:15 PM

most vette vendors have a clear film that you apply to the deck lid to protect the paint, whether your using the hardtop or the softtop .. Glassworks restored my top and shipping wasn't an issue .. they did a wonderful job ..

http://www.thehardtopshop.com/

Cruzmeisters 03-19-2009 11:26 PM

...a member has a '67 H/T "for sale" currently in the C1,2 "Parts" section; does it fit a '63?

ren 03-20-2009 08:19 AM

I really like the way that a mid-year looks with a hardtop. Thanks for the replies. I'll check out ebay and the hardtop shop. Someone also recommeded that I wait til Aug. and try Carlisle.

capevettes 03-20-2009 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by wmf62 (Post 1569367983)
if you put the plastic strips on the deck lid between the hardtop and the deck lid you won't have that problem.
Bill

:iagree: That's what I use. I love the look of the hardtops on my 61 and 65. Changes the look of the car. I use the hardtops from October to April. Spring is here and time for some open air cruising :thumbs:

Frankie the Fink 03-20-2009 08:38 AM

I'm rethinking running with the top up (soft top for me though). Since I've put it up running around Orlando more than one gal has felt compelled to lean in the passenger window to comment on my car and well ... they wear low-cut tops in Florida....

Geez - I'm really getting to be an old perv....

wmf62 03-20-2009 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by capevettes (Post 1569371129)
:iagree: That's what I use. I love the look of the hardtops on my 61 and 65. Changes the look of the car. I use the hardtops from October to April. Spring is here and time for some open air cruising :thumbs:

i prefer the look of a hardtop too. more headroom than a convertible top, and keeps the a/c in better... :rofl:

http://i39.tinypic.com/2ikrtbp.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/2zr4aoh.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/mvpvdf.jpg

Bill

Dave K. 03-20-2009 07:07 PM

I just can't imagine my '62 without the hardtop. I like it's look, when I want a top on it.

Geez - I'm really getting to be an old perv....[/QUOTE]

I have always been a perv.......I am just getting old.:rolleyes:

OC-1 03-20-2009 07:32 PM

62 topper

Bill,

That 62 looks soooo good with that hardtop!

Largecar 03-20-2009 09:07 PM

Ren, I have a Parrish Plastics (Smoothline) top that was on my 67 that is in great shape if you are interested, I also have a Corvette HT that I would get rid of. Let me know if you have any interest.
Jeff

ren 03-20-2009 09:10 PM

Could you provide pictures?

Largecar 03-22-2009 10:23 PM

Yes, I was away but I'll get some to you Monday. Thanks Jeff

Loren Smith 03-23-2009 12:58 AM

Glassworks came out and put on a great show at our local NCRS chapter just a couple of weeks ago. Probably makes more financial sense to buy one outright from them, than overpay for one needing restoration and then pay for the restoration.