CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Autocrossing & Roadracing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing-23/)
-   -   24 Hours of Lemons at CMP (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing/2290793-24-hours-of-lemons-at-cmp.html)

1lapRacer 03-31-2009 09:32 PM

24 Hours of Lemons at CMP

It is that time again for sub $500 race cars to terrorize the nice folks at Carolina Motorsports Park in SC. Again several Corvette Forum Racers (Varkwso, 1LapRacer and Wayne N.) have come together to run under one of GM's other brands as Team Saab Story.

http://www.ultimatetrackschedule.com.../SaabStory.jpg

If you are near CMP April 4th or 5th find us in the pits, it will be easy to find the only Saab 9000 Turbo. I have a case of Michelob set aside for any of you who come by and say hi.

Any other Corvette Forum members running this year?

HJV11 03-31-2009 10:05 PM

I will be there as well. I will be with "JunkWorks Racing" in a black Miata. I will look for you guys and say hi. We will have the SR71 tribute Miata ;)

bgx12 03-31-2009 10:08 PM

We wanted to run but could not get commit early enough. Do us proud in Kershaw!:cheers:

1lapRacer 03-31-2009 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by HJV11 (Post 1569524215)
I will be there as well. I will be with "JunkWorks Racing" in a black Miata. I will look for you guys and say hi. We will have the SR71 tribute Miata ;)

We should be in the pits late afternoon Friday with Jeff and Wayne arriving later. Your Miata should do well, just come up with a great story for the judges :bs :nono: or you will have some penalty laps!

Kubs 04-01-2009 09:07 AM

I am an alternate on a team doing the Nelsons Ledges one in October. We will be running a 1987 RX7.

Good luck to you guys this weekend!! :thumbs:

waktasz 04-01-2009 09:19 AM

We'll be there in this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...mons/team4.jpg

HJV11 04-01-2009 10:09 AM

I look forward to meeting all of you. Here is a pic of our beast......

http://members.cox.net/titanracing/DSC_0324.jpg

waktasz 04-01-2009 10:18 AM

Not nearly enough rust on that for me to consider that it actually only cost $500. Enjoy your penalty laps :)

1lapRacer 04-01-2009 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by waktasz (Post 1569529124)
Not nearly enough rust on that for me to consider that it actually only cost $500. Enjoy your penalty laps :)

Nice looking Miata! I have to agree that your conversation with the Judges Lieberman, Lamm and Martin may be interesting. I suggest you go heavy on the bribes. My guess, 35 laps.

BrianCunningham 04-01-2009 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by HJV11 (Post 1569529028)
I look forward to meeting all of you. Here is a pic of our beast......

:lol::thumbs:

Dave OH32 04-01-2009 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by 1lapRacer (Post 1569529950)
Nice looking Miata! I have to agree that your conversation with the Judges Lieberman, Lamm and Martin may be interesting. I suggest you go heavy on the bribes. My guess, 35 laps.

Agreed - I'd suggest rolling in to be judged armed with a Keg.

waktasz 04-01-2009 03:59 PM

I'm not sure what would happen to that car first. Wings ripped off by air rushing over them at 60 mph, or wings ripped off because someone doesn't give you 4 feet of space on either side.

1lapRacer 04-01-2009 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by waktasz (Post 1569533878)
I'm not sure what would happen to that car first. Wings ripped off by air rushing over them at 60 mph, or wings ripped off because someone doesn't give you 4 feet of space on either side.

96 cars on 1.1 mile of road course, I place my wager on not having 4 feet of space.

pewterhdtop 04-01-2009 04:22 PM

Having run the Arse Freeze-a-Palooza at Thunderhill last December, I would strongly agree with the wings being ripped off due to lack of space. We had 117 cars and it was a definite free for all at the early stages of the race with people even using the horn when they did not have a line or clue what one is.

It is tons of fun to do and we are doing the Goin for Broken in May at Reno-Fernley in the same 924 Porsche under the team name "Old Fast Auto Race Team and Sons" Otherwise known as Old FARTS racing.

1lapRacer 04-01-2009 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by pewterhdtop (Post 1569534185)
Having run the Arse Freeze-a-Palooza at Thunderhill last December, I would strongly agree with the wings being ripped off due to lack of space. We had 117 cars and it was a definite free for all at the early stages of the race with people even using the horn when they did not have a line or clue what one is.

It is tons of fun to do and we are doing the Goin for Broken in May at Reno-Fernley in the same 924 Porsche under the team name "Old Fast Auto Race Team and Sons" Otherwise known as Old FARTS racing.

Looks like you finished quite well and quite an achievement. Hopefully some of the aforementioned cars will break the top 10 at cmp. 73 cars was a challenge last year, 96 will be impossible until some attrition occurs. It is a blast and well work the prep time on a beater.

thehammer69 04-01-2009 06:48 PM

My team and I will be there again. Last year we had an 86 T-bird made up to loosely resemble the "deathmobile" from Animal House. This year, we have resurrected the T-bird and now have a Blind Rodent theme. This time we have brought horsepower in place of the slow 3.8 V6 that we destroyed last year.

WNeal 04-01-2009 08:11 PM

Good Luck to the University of Cincinnati Team.
:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Jason 04-02-2009 07:56 AM

I'd been trying to keep this weekend open just to come watch (helmet in hand), and of course everyone else saw I had a free weekend and everything piled up for this Saturday.

glacierbay2 04-02-2009 09:07 AM

I've been wanting to see this most revered and hallowed event since I read about it in C&D years ago. It just so happens I have the weekend off, and I understand that we'll have a break in the rain, too. My wife tells me she wants to see it, too. Hot diggity! I'll be cheering all you guys on, (or would that be laughing my a$$ off at you).

From a spectators point of view, anybody have any suggestions as to what to bring for a better viewing experience? Do I need to bring food?

Have a great time and be safe!

1lapRacer 04-02-2009 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by glacierbay2 (Post 1569542833)
I've been wanting to see this most revered and hallowed event since I read about it in C&D years ago. It just so happens I have the weekend off, and I understand that we'll have a break in the rain, too. My wife tells me she wants to see it, too. Hot diggity! I'll be cheering all you guys on, (or would that be laughing my a$$ off at you).

From a spectators point of view, anybody have any suggestions as to what to bring for a better viewing experience? Do I need to bring food?

Have a great time and be safe!

Kershaw has a limited(very) set of places to eat. The track concession stand was open and serving food last time. They had some low bleachers that are available but lawn chairs and some sun protection may be in order. From the spectator area, the farthest corner is quarter of a mile so the view is good. Cheering, booing and laughing are all expected. It's kind like the circus comes to the racetrack.