CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   Aligning a bellhousing for a tremec 5spd? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/2294677-aligning-a-bellhousing-for-a-tremec-5spd.html)

pletner 04-05-2009 11:24 AM

Aligning a bellhousing for a tremec 5spd?

Hi all, I'm trying to install my new 5spd. tranny and I have a question for those who have done this swap. In the directions it states that you need to measure the concentricity of the bellhouse opening with a dial indicator mounted to the crankshaft flange. How did you mount your indicator? Did you make a custom mount/bracket? I can't figure out how to mount the indicator dead center on the crank. Any ideas?:bigears

claysmoker 04-05-2009 11:41 AM

The dial doesn't have to be dead center on the crank. Just set up an indicator with a magnetic base on the flywheel with the stylus on the edge of the opening. Then rotate the crankshaft and watch the dial. It will tell you how far out the hole is in relation to the center of the crank.

I made one up, here's a photo of what I used:

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/r...n/IMG_1410.jpg

This assumes that your pilot bushing, crankshaft and flywheel are all concentric, and the guide pins are tight in the bell housing holes. They will be if all the parts used are good pieces.

1snake 04-05-2009 11:43 AM

Here ya go. http://www.priveye.com/images/lakewood.htm

71zman 04-05-2009 11:48 AM

I used the classic chevy 5 kit on my 1960, they have pretty good instructions for doing this procedure - in fact if you look at their website, they have a video showing how to do this.

Using their instructions, the dial instrument does not need to be exactly in the center - if it offset that is OK - this is because you are measuring alignment at 12, 3 6 and 9 o'clock - you subtract those two measurements and divide by 2 giving a relative measurement - it takes a while to get use to this idea but once you do it a couple of time, it makes sense.

A couple of things that made it easier for me was using the adjustable dowel pins they suggest in the video - BIG IMPROVEMENT. Also take out the spark plugs because you are going to be turning the motor over many times trying to get it aligned.

bret:flag::flag:

pletner 04-05-2009 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by 71zman (Post 1569581623)
I used the classic chevy 5 kit on my 1960, they have pretty good instructions for doing this procedure - in fact if you look at their website, they have a video showing how to do this.

Using their instructions, the dial instrument does not need to be exactly in the center - if it offset that is OK - this is because you are measuring alignment at 12, 3 6 and 9 o'clock - you subtract those two measurements and divide by 2 giving a relative measurement - it takes a while to get use to this idea but once you do it a couple of time, it makes sense.

A couple of things that made it easier for me was using the adjustable dowel pins they suggest in the video - BIG IMPROVEMENT. Also take out the spark plugs because you are going to be turning the motor over many times trying to get it aligned.

Originally Posted by claysmoker (Post 1569581533)
The dial doesn't have to be dead center on the crank. Just set up an indicator with a magnetic base on the flywheel with the stylus on the edge of the opening. Then rotate the crankshaft and watch the dial. It will tell you how far out the hole is in relation to the center of the crank.

I made one up, here's a photo of what I used:

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/r...n/IMG_1410.jpg

This assumes that your pilot bushing, crankshaft and flywheel are all concentric, and the guide pins are tight in the bell housing holes. They will be if all the parts used are good pieces.

Originally Posted by 1snake (Post 1569581559)

Thanks guys! All this info is greatly appreciated!!!:thumbs::thumbs:

claysmoker 04-05-2009 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by 71zman (Post 1569581623)

:iagree: But don't run out and buy a set of adjustable pins unless you really have to have them. I bolted a stock bellhousing onto a new engine with stock guide pins and it was only .001" off. I hope you have such good fortune.:thumbs:

pletner 04-05-2009 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by claysmoker (Post 1569581735)
:iagree: But don't run out and buy a set of adjustable pins unless you really have to have them. I bolted a stock bellhousing onto a new engine with stock guide pins and it was only .001" off. I hope you have such good fortune.:thumbs:

I'll let you know!:thumbs:

Black_Magic 04-05-2009 12:15 PM

Don't need exact center as you are trying see offset. Take multiple readings 180° apart and use 1/2 the difference EX. -10° and a 0° reading would give you a 5° offset.

Hard to see but dial indicator I iused was big to it is inside bell and I had to use mirror to read :) :).

George

http://www.stl-vettes.com/65vette/re...s/dsc06676.jpg

465hp 04-05-2009 12:18 PM

Yes our was only .002 off, trans in in 1 hour !

pletner 04-05-2009 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Black_Magic (Post 1569581938)
Don't need exact center as you are trying see offset. Take multiple readings 180° apart and use 1/2 the difference EX. -10° and a 0° reading would give you a 5° offset.

Hard to see but dial indicator I iused was big to it is inside bell and I had to use mirror to read :) :).

George

http://www.stl-vettes.com/65vette/re...s/dsc06676.jpg

Thanks George! That's exactly the way my indicator will have to be set up because it's to big. I'll get my readings tomorrow and see what I've got.

Originally Posted by 465hp (Post 1569581972)
Yes our was only .002 off, trans in in 1 hour !

Man! I hope I'm that lucky!:thumbs:

muncieman 04-06-2009 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by pletner (Post 1569581350)
Hi all, I'm trying to install my new 5spd. tranny and I have a question for those who have done this swap. In the directions it states that you need to measure the concentricity of the bellhouse opening with a dial indicator mounted to the crankshaft flange. How did you mount your indicator? Did you make a custom mount/bracket? I can't figure out how to mount the indicator dead center on the crank. Any ideas?:bigears

http://www.irvansmith.com/scart/bell...or-p-1008.html

JohnZ 04-06-2009 01:44 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Browell makes a great tool for centering bellhousings - bolt the spindle to the crank, load the bellhousing, slide the ring on the tool, then into the opening, and adjust the Lakewood dowel pins until the ring slips in without interference. Nails it every time. :thumbs:

uncle427 04-06-2009 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by JohnZ (Post 1569595761)
Browell makes a great tool for centering bellhousings - bolt the spindle to the crank, load the bellhousing, slide the ring on the tool, then into the opening, and adjust the Lakewood dowel pins until the ring slips in without interference. Nails it every time. :thumbs:

Excellent tool! :thumbs:

Went to the site and cannot find one, do you have a part # on it? I assume it has different sleeves for different bells ID's ?

Don't forget to be sure you have bell parallel between front and rear mounting surfaces as well, equally important!

Bill

Powershift 04-06-2009 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by uncle427 (Post 1569596656)
Excellent tool! :thumbs:

Went to the site and cannot find one, do you have a part # on it? I assume it has different sleeves for different bells ID's ?

Don't forget to be sure you have bell parallel between front and rear mounting surfaces as well, equally important!

Bill

Bill:

:iagree: no info on the Browell site. They have pictures, but no part number or price. I guess you would need to call and inquire. Phone (765) 447-2292.

An article from the Camaro Forum indicated a retail cost of this tool of $125 in 2007. Probably a bit higher now.

Let's see if John has additional/latest info.

Larry

1-2-b-67L89 04-06-2009 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Powershift (Post 1569598635)
Bill:

:iagree: no info on the Browell site. They have pictures, but no part number or price. I guess you would need to call and inquire. Phone (765) 447-2292.

An article from the Camaro Forum indicated a retail cost of this tool of $125 in 2007. Probably a bit higher now.

Let's see if John has additional/latest info.

Larry

I like what I see with the tool :thumbs: And I will need to do the same thing as Pletner when I put our 5 speed in but since it will probably be a one shot deal I'll stick with my old but effective small magnetic base with last word indicator. Excellent information given :cheers: