CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Great Lakes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/great-lakes-43/)
-   -   Indiana & Wisconsin License plate laws ??? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/great-lakes/2296997-indiana-and-wisconsin-license-plate-laws.html)

tommyn 04-07-2009 09:34 PM

Indiana & Wisconsin License plate laws ???

I know Illinois has a law that does NOT allow a license plate cover on the books. Can anyone show me a link or direct me to a law guide that states a Indiana or Wisconsin registered vehicle may NOT run a cover over the plate?

PhilmWI 04-08-2009 08:46 AM

The WI regulations can be found here:
http://www.legis.state.wi.us/statutes/Stat0341.pdf
I do not see anything that specifically states you cannot cover them but I am not good a legal jargon. You can read it for yourself.

dmoore 04-08-2009 02:51 PM

Under 341.15(2) is what Wisconsin law enforcement officer use to issue citations to anyone that has a license plate cover. I have issued this one before but only after people have ignored a written warning to remove dark tint off of their license plate.

(2) Registration plates shall be attached firmly and rigidly in
a horizontal position and conspicuous place. The plates shall at
all times be maintained in a legible condition and shall be so displayed
that they can be readily and distinctly seen and read. Any
peace officer may require the operator of any vehicle on which
plates are not properly displayed to display such plates as required
by this section.

RTTN 1 04-09-2009 11:01 AM

dmoore,

you mentioned the dark tinted cover. what if a driver has a clear cover?

signed,
curious in kenosha

dmoore 04-09-2009 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by RTTN 1 (Post 1569636632)
dmoore,

you mentioned the dark tinted cover. what if a driver has a clear cover?

signed,
curious in kenosha

It really depends on the officer, most of the clear covers are used to obstruct red light cameras an officer could cite for it if they can prove its that type of license plate cover.

Personally I don't get excited about clear covers as long as I can read the plate clearly at night along with the year and month sticker, I usually don't mess with it.

JLB768 04-10-2009 07:51 PM

In Indiana, we don't use front plates.

Cocked and Locked 04-12-2009 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by tommyn (Post 1569616939)
I know Illinois has a law that does NOT allow a license plate cover on the books. Can anyone show me a link or direct me to a law guide that states a Indiana or Wisconsin registered vehicle may NOT run a cover over the plate?

Indiana has no law that would prohibit a license plate cover over any Indiana plate as long as the plate is viewable.

pologreen1 04-12-2009 05:14 PM

I leave my vette cover on in front in WI

Blackradvet 07-01-2018 10:42 AM

smoke license plate covers

Originally Posted by tommyn (Post 1569616939)

Wouldn’t worry about it man-been using mine for over 10 years. My uncles a sheriff and he told me to go ahead and use the smoke cover license plates and it wouldn’t be a problem in Wisconsin. He said if they pull you over then they got bad eye sight and he said there’s way more cars speeding than license plate issues that need to be dealt with to prevent accidents and deaths. Enjoy the summer!

johnnymo63 07-10-2018 02:51 AM

As long as the plates are easily readable, you are OK in Indiana.
Also, Indiana recently passed a law regarding colored headlights. No accent, colored lights allowed anywhere on cars now.
And not allowed to block cars from passing in the left lanes of the interstates. (Even if you're going the speed limit, or speeding, if you are in someone's way, you can get a ticket for not allowing them to pass.) :crazy: