CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Autocrossing & Roadracing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing-23/)
-   -   Anyone running NO power steering on a C5? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing/2303709-anyone-running-no-power-steering-on-a-c5.html)

corvetteracer22 04-15-2009 03:12 PM

Anyone running NO power steering on a C5?

Hi Guys,

I took off my power steering on my C5 and I was wondering what does everyone else do if they take off there power steering? Manual Rack, electric power steering, or just use orig. rack. Im sure there are not alot of people running with no power steering. But to the ones that are not please give me some info!

Thanks
Matthew:cheers:

kmagvette 04-15-2009 03:16 PM

What was your motivation?

corvetteracer22 04-15-2009 03:29 PM

Well im running a Huge front mount single turbo. And I had no room for the power steering anymore. With that said I am looking at racing in standing mile races and drag racing. I know this is not the section for this either but im sure roadracers would have a good answer for me on this topic hopefully.

RC45 04-15-2009 03:39 PM

One of these ? ;)

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/451/33large.th.jpg

Bill Dearborn 04-15-2009 03:41 PM

I can't imagine driving the car without power steering. I have had a couple of power steering failures over the years and I can tell you it is a bxxtch to turn the steering without an assist. Wide tires and a fast steering ratio add up to high effort steering. Not sure you could get a manual rack with a slow enough steering ratio to make it easy to turn the car. Even the NASCAR guys use power steering nowadays. Of course if you have arms that look like Popeye's then go for it.

Bill

corvetteracer22 04-15-2009 03:55 PM

I might have to resort to the picture above... :willy:

And I deff. do not have Popeye arms lol so it looks like electric power steering it is...

davidfarmer 04-15-2009 05:24 PM

I've had the power steering go out during a race, and the car was very VERY difficult to drive. Of course a Broken system is not the same as a non-powered system.

Bottom line, you can't run the OEM system without power for road course, but if you are only going straight, then I think you'd be OK.

Robert@SPEEDSOUTH 04-18-2009 03:22 PM

Most of the time cars that were originally avail. with or without pws have different ratios to compensate for the absence of assist. A Corvette, with or without front slicks would be a bear to drive, however if you're using skinnies on the front then go for it.

doje 02-27-2012 03:56 PM

Solution: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-p...-rack-kit.html

DOUG @ ECS 02-27-2012 04:42 PM

Our manual rack kit is based on drag racing, not road racing so for your use I think you will be fine. We also came up with it for the same reasons you stated.
We also have several other items like an ALT relocate option, along with other drag/mile specific componants from axle loops to complete suspension packages.

http://www.eastcoastsupercharging.co...rag_parts.html

Just an FYI, a manual rack is not as hard as your power steering rack to operate when the power steering is inop. I drive my drag car regularly on the street withour PS and it's fine. Maybe not for a little ol lady, but you do not have to be a body builder to drive it. :thumbs:

MRc5z 03-25-2017 01:00 PM

Bringing this thread back up from the dead...

I've been wondering the same questions as well, has anyone ran the C5 with a de-powered rack? I've done it on my Miatas and 300zx (which weighs way more than my C5Z).. not bad at all, even when standing still. I bought another used C5 rack that I'll take apart to get rid of the seals and grease up and see how it is without power steering, and no fluid in the rack to bind it up. This will be on a street/strip car, getting rid of AC and relocating the alternator and running electric water pump. Planning on a big single turbo up front or at least a centri blower for now until the turbski.

fuggles 03-25-2017 07:25 PM

Mid engine LSx powered component cars run electric power steering. I'm not sure which rack they use. Many are C5 component based. I wonder if their solution could be retrofitted to the c5?

Nowanker 03-26-2017 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by MRc5z (Post 1594380253)
Bringing this thread back up from the dead...

I've been wondering the same questions as well, has anyone ran the C5 with a de-powered rack? I've done it on my Miatas and 300zx (which weighs way more than my C5Z).. not bad at all, even when standing still. I bought another used C5 rack that I'll take apart to get rid of the seals and grease up and see how it is without power steering, and no fluid in the rack to bind it up. This will be on a street/strip car, getting rid of AC and relocating the alternator and running electric water pump. Planning on a big single turbo up front or at least a centri blower for now until the turbski.

Comparing apples to oranges here.. just pulled the pump and hoses on my 944 turbo road race car, connected the inlet and outlet fittings at the rack to avoid fighting internal pressure. Modestly stiff at a standstill, totally invisible at speed.
Got no idea what a Corvette rack would be like, but curious to hear!

Dubstep Shep 03-27-2017 11:49 AM

For road racing, a lot of places use electric power-assisted steering (EPAS) systems. They're specifically designed for road racing so they won't overheat, you don't have flammable hydraulic fluid and lines, and you can actually adjust and tune the steering feel to some extent.

luvTTwins 04-26-2017 08:20 PM

Mrc5z did you end up pulling the rack apart?

MRc5z 04-26-2017 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by boostinsidewayz (Post 1594614809)
Mrc5z did you end up pulling the rack apart?

Not yet, still working on the motor build. May do a turn one pump and pulley or at least a restrictor fitting for now as I'm still going to have 275 RA1's up front