CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   how to replace side marker bulbs? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2308271-how-to-replace-side-marker-bulbs.html)

SunsetStroker 04-20-2009 10:28 PM

how to replace side marker bulbs?

Trying to put leds in my side markers but cant figure out how to get to them. Everything else was easy!

6SPDRCR 04-20-2009 10:34 PM

They are held in place by two plastic knobs on either side of the marker. You need to take off the inner fender liners to get to them.:flag:

SunsetStroker 04-21-2009 01:55 PM

Sounds like a pain especially with my broken hand!

LT1 Z51 04-21-2009 02:03 PM

Back ones are eary to get to, just take out the outer rear tail lamps.

The front ones are a PITA. Same with replacing anything in your headlamp. The inner wheel splash cover has to come out, which means the wheels have to come off...

CSexy06VY 02-09-2013 04:16 PM

Yeah the fronts have those damn plastic rivets! I replaces them with ones that push in, much easier and the wheel does t need to come off!

vig1116 02-09-2013 04:39 PM

i'm pretty sure putting led's in the side markers are pointless cause the lenses are colored, unless of course you have the clear side markers. If that's the case then disregard....

boraxman 02-09-2013 04:49 PM

:lurk:

CSexy06VY 02-09-2013 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by vig1116 (Post 1583078556)
i'm pretty sure putting led's in the side markers are pointless cause the lenses are colored, unless of course you have the clear side markers. If that's the case then disregard....

LEDs are brighter and use less power, doesn't matter if the lens is colored or not, I have smoked ones and they look awesome day or night when lit you can see them much brighter.

vig1116 02-09-2013 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by CSexy06VY (Post 1583079308)
LEDs are brighter and use less power, doesn't matter if the lens is colored or not, I have smoked ones and they look awesome day or night when lit you can see them much brighter.

brighter side marker lights? and less power?? Really?? How much power are the regular bulbs taking, and what are you doing with all that power the led's are saving you? :rofl: To each their own, but unless they are clear the difference is minimal IMO..

ZO ZICK 02-09-2013 06:33 PM

They are time consuming, but with a broken hand, dont think you can get through the tail lights

CSexy06VY 02-09-2013 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by vig1116 (Post 1583079410)
brighter side marker lights? and less power?? Really?? How much power are the regular bulbs taking, and what are you doing with all that power the led's are saving you? :rofl: To each their own, but unless they are clear the difference is minimal IMO..

Reducing the draw of power is actually beneficial to your charging system brother, and lets see ah tvs and flashlights and damn near everything else is beginning to use LEDs to light this and that, including automobiles. Funny why the new vette will have them. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, just throwing facts out there, If your happy with what you got that's awesome, I personally don't think it's that hard or difficult to change a few bulbs to make me more visible when I'm driving, not to mention if you know where to buy them the cost is the same or less than standard bulbs

CSexy06VY 02-09-2013 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by ZO ZICK (Post 1583079437)
They are time consuming, but with a broken hand, dont think you can get through the tail lights

Lol then use the other hand! : P

vig1116 02-09-2013 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by CSexy06VY (Post 1583079507)
Reducing the draw of power is actually beneficial to your charging system brother, and lets see ah tvs and flashlights and damn near everything else is beginning to use LEDs to light this and that, including automobiles. Funny why the new vette will have them. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, just throwing facts out there, If your happy with what you got that's awesome, I personally don't think it's that hard or difficult to change a few bulbs to make me more visible when I'm driving, not to mention if you know where to buy them the cost is the same or less than standard bulbs

like i said, to each their own, but let's be real. You're talking 13-14 watts for all 4 stock bulbs, and 4-6 watts for the 4 led's. So 8 watts savings were talking here....

vig1116 02-09-2013 07:01 PM

OP, If that's your car in the avatar tint those side markers while they're off!! It's a fun DIY mod and they'll look great. I did 3 coats lens tint and 3 or 4 coats clear coat, came out perfect and costs about $175 less than buying tinted ones.... Just make sure you wet sand them before you start.

CSexy06VY 02-09-2013 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by vig1116 (Post 1583079640)
like i said, to each their own, but let's be real. You're talking 13-14 watts for all 4 stock bulbs, and 4-6 watts for the 4 led's. So 8 watts savings were talking here....

Lol do you have something against led technology? It adds up when you change tail lights, license plate lights, side markers, etc. not to mention the life span of an led is typically a lot longer than "old" bulbs that burn yellow. But hey I'm just saying, but I guarantee all autos will be rockin LEDs

vig1116 02-09-2013 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by CSexy06VY (Post 1583079905)
Lol do you have something against led technology? It adds up when you change tail lights, license plate lights, side markers, etc. not to mention the life span of an led is typically a lot longer than "old" bulbs that burn yellow. But hey I'm just saying, but I guarantee all autos will be rockin LEDs

no no no, maybe i'm coming across wrong. I love LED's, i changed all mine already and they are awesome. The only ones i didn't change are the side marker because of the reasons i stated before. :cheers:

every other bulb you can see a significant difference except the side markers, IMO..

CSexy06VY 02-09-2013 08:10 PM

Oh ok gotcha sorry it seemed you were coming across as if you were against LEDs, lol. I usually use the colored bulbs with either clear or smoked markers, but I find the LEDs to light up better, the colored standard bulbs burn out too quick and aren't that bright. But I've had good results with stock markers too. Some cars are definitely a pita to get to them and LEDs tend to last longer, I think it's just become a standard thing for me to change all the bulbs, maybe it's OCD or maybe I'm just bored an need something to change on the damn car! Lol

Knob Jockey 02-09-2013 09:11 PM

For the fronts, turn the wheel all the way in, pop the rivets/remove the screws holding the leading edge of the fender liner and then pull it back.

I tie mine off to the wheel to hold it open while I change a lamp, and with one hand, you'll probably have to do this too.

Then it's pretty easy to reach in and twist the socket/lamp out. Access through the outer tail-light is even easier.

One caveat with some LED's, make sure they are held in tightly by the socket. I had some that fell out inside the light and I had to remove the light from the fender to shake the LED out.

turbod 02-10-2013 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Knob Jockey (Post 1583080630)
For the fronts, turn the wheel all the way in, pop the rivets/remove the screws holding the leading edge of the fender liner and then pull it back.

I tie mine off to the wheel to hold it open while I change a lamp, and with one hand, you'll probably have to do this too.

Then it's pretty easy to reach in and twist the socket/lamp out. Access through the outer tail-light is even easier.

One caveat with some LED's, make sure they are held in tightly by the socket. I had some that fell out inside the light and I had to remove the light from the fender to shake the LED out.

:iagree:Wheel well liners don't have to come out!

ddanis60 02-10-2013 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by turbod (Post 1583082586)
:iagree:Wheel well liners don't have to come out!

:iagree: very easy task to do the front, and even easier for the rears. its already been said, but just turn the wheel, take 5 screws out (i think 5) in a vertical row along the outside edge of the liner right in front of the wheel, pop a few rivets, and then about 9.6 seconds to replace the bulb or remove the marker housing all together. i dont even think i popped any of the rivets out actually. literally a 5 minute job per front corner, and a 3 minute per rear. only problem is that with a broken hand, what are you going to hold your beer with? might take 6 minutes, having to switch between the two ;) hope this helps!

oh and just fyi.. i also replaced all bulbs with leds inside and out, and the side markers are the only ones that i CANT see a diference. but thats just me.