CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   C5 Fuel Line Disconnect - How to do withOUT the "Special " disconnect tool? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/232725-c5-fuel-line-disconnect-how-to-do-without-the-special-disconnect-tool.html)

alan33 02-05-2002 01:48 AM

C5 Fuel Line Disconnect - How to do withOUT the "Special " disconnect tool?

I need to disconnect the fuel line from the fuel rail on my C5. It has the metal quick disconnect. How does one disconnect the fitting without the special tool?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Alan :confused: :confused:

alan33 02-05-2002 02:48 AM

Re: C5 Fuel Line Disconnect - How to do withOUT the "Special " disconnect tool? (alan33)

I figured it out.

Take Care,

Alan :) :)

Mean Green 02-05-2002 08:34 AM

Re: C5 Fuel Line Disconnect - How to do withOUT the "Special " disconnect tool? (alan33)

well then share with the rest of us :D :cheers:

TLewis4095 02-05-2002 11:20 AM

Re: C5 Fuel Line Disconnect - How to do withOUT the "Special " disconnect tool? (Mean Green 2000)

Inquireing minds want to know!! :yesnod:

Closer_2001 02-05-2002 11:58 AM

Re: C5 Fuel Line Disconnect - How to do withOUT the "Special " disconnect tool? (TLewis4095)

3rd that!

vetterdstr 02-05-2002 01:27 PM

These little disconnect tools are only a couple of bucks... While trying to unhook my fuel filter I broke my fuel like and it cost me $600 for a replacement with Labor. :cry

Do yourself a favor... get that little plastic tool and save yourself $600!!

vettersdtr :cheers:

pkmoose 02-06-2002 01:54 AM

Re: C5 Fuel Line Disconnect - How to do withOUT the "Special " disconnect tool? (Closer_2001)

ummm 4th that :yesnod:

66ImpalaLT1 02-06-2002 03:03 AM

The tool costs next to nothing, I bought mine 3 cars ago. Well worth the money.

alan33 02-06-2002 06:11 AM

Re: C5 Fuel Line Disconnect - How to do withOUT the "Special " disconnect tool? (Mean Green 2000)

O.K. First of all, I agree that if the tool is as inexpensive as some said, then I would recommend getting it. There were no parts stores open around midnight when I wanted to seperate the connection, so I improvised.

Basically I took a piece of thin walled aluminum, so as not to damage the fuel line, tubing that had an inside diameter that was just larger than the outside diameter of the fuel line tube on the fuel rail side. Actually I had to engineer the diameter from a slightly too large piece of aluminum tube. Then I cut a piece about an inch long so it would fit in between the fuel rail "T" and the female bell shaped quick connect that is on the stainless steel braided fuel line. I then cut the tube in half lengthwise so I could place it around the fuel line tube, the 2 pieces of my aluminum tube placed over the fuel line tube to form an outer tube. I then pushed the aluminum tube into the bell shaped female side and pulled the quick connect apart. The tool I made depressed the 4 steel fingers holding the connection together and allowed me to part the connection. That's it.

A couple of other thoughts, Depressurize the fuel rail prior to disconnection, some fuel will spill anyway so be prepared, and oil the tube with a little clean motor oil prior to reconnection to lubricate the o-ring in the female side so it won't get damaged.

Take Care,

Alan

[Modified by alan33, 5:14 AM 2/6/2002]