CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-forced-induction-nitrous-123/)
-   -   Methanol vs Alcohol? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-forced-induction-nitrous/2330883-methanol-vs-alcohol.html)

MetallicaMatt 05-17-2009 08:49 PM

Methanol vs Alcohol?

Whats the difference? Based on skimming Wikipedia, I don't see a "major" difference between the two.

With my car that I just bought, it was tuned for VP Racing Methanol, the expensive crap :rofl:

I can't get VP around here, but the track carries Sunoco Methanol....anybody know of a difference?

aTX427 05-17-2009 09:29 PM

Methanol is alcohol, as is ethanol, which is in liquor. Methanol will kill you if you ingest it, but makes more power than ethanol. It should not make too much of a difference running different brands, but you may want to have your tuner dyno the car with whichever you plan on using to make sure.

MetallicaMatt 05-17-2009 09:45 PM

well the tuning thing is a problem, i bought the car in NJ, tuned by ECS

I'm now in Ohio lol

Louis @ LG Motorsports 05-17-2009 10:41 PM

I dont understand how VP Meth is expensive? Its only a few dollars a gallon?!

EdwardETraylorIII 05-18-2009 01:02 AM

The stoichiometric balance for Methanol is quite different from that of Ethanol. 6.4 and 9.0 respectively. (of course this is a different discussion in and of itself as you want to tune Meth @ about 4.5:1 and Eth @ about 6.6:1)

Additionally, you will make much more power with Methanol!

To answer your question - Methanol is Methanol is Methanol. VP M1 is PURE Methanol (M3 and M5 are NOT pure Methanol).

Sunaco Methanol is the same as VP M1. Meth should be a few bucks a gallon and this is a fair price... Buy a 5 gallon jug of it for $15-$20 and be set for many many months.........:thumbs:

Some folks here will tell you that VP M3 or M5 do very well for them. I hate to be a contrarian, but I have lost power on both M3 and M5. I stick with what works - M1 or Sunaco Methanol. :cheers:

atomicfusion 05-18-2009 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by MetallicaMatt (Post 1570118202)
well the tuning thing is a problem, i bought the car in NJ, tuned by ECS

I'm now in Ohio lol

IPS down in Columbus can tune... they tuned my car that now runs on Straight Ethanol.

MetallicaMatt 05-18-2009 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Louis @ LG Motorsports (Post 1570118883)
I dont understand how VP Meth is expensive? Its only a few dollars a gallon?!

VP Racing Meth is $55 + tax for 5 gallons!!! :ack:

Mr.Big 05-18-2009 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by MetallicaMatt (Post 1570121093)
VP Racing Meth is $55 + tax for 5 gallons!!! :ack:

wow... you need to find another vendor...:ack: VP M3 here at $6.71/gallon...

MetallicaMatt 05-18-2009 10:39 AM

That was the price at the vendor in MI (2 hours from me)

And

That was the price at the shop in NJ

I can get Sunoco Meth at my drag strip, I just want to make sure its all the same as the VP and I can switch without having to worry???

EdwardETraylorIII 05-18-2009 12:33 PM

Matt,

I buy VP M1 for $3.50/gallon at my local speed shop...... Not sure why those bastards are charging $11/gallon! WTF!? Find someone else!

Yes, Sunaco Methanol is good stuff. It's pure meth! Use that! :thumbs:

adam205348 05-18-2009 12:41 PM

I hope I can find M1 that cheap around here Ed

Louis @ LG Motorsports 05-18-2009 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by adam205348 (Post 1570124222)
I hope I can find M1 that cheap around here Ed

I stock it for 6.50/gal :thumbs:

Fast06Z06 05-18-2009 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by EdwardETraylorIII (Post 1570120257)
The stoichiometric balance for Methanol is quite different from that of Ethanol. 6.4 and 9.0 respectively. (of course this is a different discussion in and of itself as you want to tune Meth @ about 4.5:1 and Eth @ about 6.6:1)

Additionally, you will make much more power with Methanol!

To answer your question - Methanol is Methanol is Methanol. VP M1 is PURE Methanol (M3 and M5 are NOT pure Methanol).

Sunaco Methanol is the same as VP M1. Meth should be a few bucks a gallon and this is a fair price... Buy a 5 gallon jug of it for $15-$20 and be set for many many months.........:thumbs:

Some folks here will tell you that VP M3 or M5 do very well for them. I hate to be a contrarian, but I have lost power on both M3 and M5. I stick with what works - M1 or Sunaco Methanol. :cheers:

whats the difference between M1 M3 and M5 why would you have lost power.?

EDIT never mind I answered my own question. I know the reasons why. It depends on what application the methanol is being used for. For injection M1 is best.

PowerLabs 05-18-2009 02:13 PM

Methanol has approximately 25% higher heat of vaporization than Ethanol. Since you are using it for intake charge cooling, that is why Meth is the way to go.

Not that you can't tune for Ethanol injection.. In reality even water works when set up right...

MetallicaMatt 05-18-2009 04:26 PM

I just called the drag strip, even though their website CLEARLY says Methanol, it is only alcohol that they carry :(

PowerLabs 05-18-2009 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by MetallicaMatt (Post 1570127001)
I just called the drag strip, even though their website CLEARLY says Methanol, it is only alcohol that they carry :(

And Methanol is what...?

:lol::lol::lol:

EdwardETraylorIII 05-18-2009 06:31 PM

I just called the drag strip, even though their website CLEARLY says Methanol, it is only alcohol that they carry
I'm guessing you got a bonehead on the phone when you called the strip. I've NEVER heard of a drag strip or speed shop carrying "Ethanol!" EVER! (unless it's special order)

Very very few folks use "Ethanol" in a go fast application. (Sure, the Government has allowed it to make it's way into gasoline... But again, I don't know of many folks using straight Ethanol to make big power.)

I'd bet 10:1 that it IS Methanol and they just don't realize it. It's worth a trip to read what's printed on the drum. I'm betting it's Methanol!!!:thumbs:

MetallicaMatt 05-18-2009 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by PowerLabs (Post 1570127581)
And Methanol is what...?

:lol::lol::lol:

Alky? Do I win the prize?? lol

I don't think there will be a drum to check, since it's a big track, we just have normal gas pumps, we have 110 and 112, and then alky in underground tanks.

I just can't find anybody that carries methanol, other than Livernois Motorsports, which is about 2 hours away.

I guess I'll pay the $55 for 5 gallons, but, seems like I'm getting ripped and it sucks that they are 2 hours away!

VetteFish 05-18-2009 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by MetallicaMatt (Post 1570129770)

I don't think there will be a drum to check, since it's a big track, we just have normal gas pumps, we have 110 and 112, and then alky in underground tanks.

I just can't find anybody that carries methanol, other than Livernois Motorsports, which is about 2 hours away.

I guess I'll pay the $55 for 5 gallons, but, seems like I'm getting ripped and it sucks that they are 2 hours away!

almost any speedshop/motorcycle shop can order it through VP. Cost me $35 for 5 gallons through a local Motorcycle dealer.

PowerLabs 05-18-2009 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by MetallicaMatt (Post 1570129770)

And what is "Alky" :rolleyes:. Which, by the way, is not actually a word in the English Language, unless you count "Urban Dictionary" which lists it as slang for "Alcoholic, a person who drinks habitually".

And Methanol is an alcohol, just like Ethanol, Butanol, Propanol, Isopropyl, Isobutyl, etc.
You just found a place that carries Methanol. As Taylor said; I too have never heard of a drag strip that carries Ethanol.