CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Lost my roof today! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2340998-lost-my-roof-today.html)

mpuzach 05-29-2009 11:27 PM

Lost my roof today!

I'm sorry to report that I became the latest member of the flying roof club this morning. I was doing 70 on the freeway on my way to work on a beautiful, sunny morning when, without warning, my roof delaminated and the outer skin became airborne and landed on the freeway shoulder. It was strictly a matter of luck that it didn't hit a following vehicle; it simply flew and landed on the side of the freeway.

My first thought was that I'd forgotten to latch the rear latch when I replaced the roof after a topless drive yesterday. Thankfully, that was not the case although it wasn't until I got the car home that I realized that the roof frame was still attached to the car. After getting the Corvette home I retraced my drive in my DD and recovered the flying panel.

I immediately phoned Chevrolet customer service. I explained what had happened and hoped that they'd find it easy to make the decision to take care of the situation. They did not. Here's the skinny:
  • My car is a 2005 with painted roof only (no transparent panel). As such, it's pretty much confined to the garage until it gets a replacement roof panel as I won't leave it unattended in its current condition.
  • Like many folks here, I received a notice from GM in 2006 telling me of the potential delamination problem and their "Customer Satisfaction Program" (# 05 112, the one that was issued before there was an actual recall) that was intended to fix the problem in affected cars. In compliance with this notice, I took my car in. The dealer took the measurements and determined that my roof could not be repaired with the foam injection; instead, it would need to be replaced.
  • The dealer ordered the parts, painted the new outer panel, assembled everything, and sent me on my way; the process took a couple of weeks or so.
  • I know for a fact that my replacement panel was of the same design as my original one. It was not one of the newer version like what's now being used.
  • Approximately a year after my panel was replaced, GM announced a recall to address the problem. This, I'm told, is very different from the "Customer Satisfaction Program" that my work was done under. The recall includes replacing the defective outer panel with one of the newer design. I never received the recall notification, presumably because by the time the recall was announced my roof had already been replaced under the "Customer Satisfaction Program".
  • My car is now out of warranty. Although it has just 19,500 miles on it, my 3 years were up last July.
  • GM customer service has told my dealer (not the same one that performed the fix in 2006 - I've moved since then) to try to get resolution through their factory rep. That dialogue won't take place until at least Monday so it's going to be at least several days until I know whether or not GM is going to cover this.
I'm surprised, disappointed, and angry that customer service didn't immediately agree to cover the cost of replacing my roof. It's especially aggravating since they know that they replaced my roof with another defective one that was identical to the original one; they changed to a different part after mine was replaced but because I got mine "fixed" early, I didn't get the new design. To me that's just fundamentally wrong.

Hopefully the news will be better come Monday. In the meantime, my Corvette is committed to the garage with its roof panel being held on with duct tape so as to keep bugs out. This sucks.

I'd welcome any thoughts others here might have. Thanks for reading.

CodyC6 05-29-2009 11:32 PM

That is a safety recall, and GM needs to pay to have your roof replaced with the newer design. No question about it. Not a warranty matter. Even though you had your roof replaced once, you still haven't received the updated roof, so you have not had the recall performed yet.

Frustrating I'm sure, but I'm sure it will be taken care of.

everjeff 05-29-2009 11:33 PM

Yea they need to take care of this without a doubt.

Mr Guns 05-29-2009 11:34 PM

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I'd still drive it if I were you. Mine goes for weeks at a time with the top off. I leave it in the garage with the top off, too. Maybe that's a bad idea?:confused:

hokieZ 05-29-2009 11:38 PM

I didn't think an actual recall expired just because the car went out of warranty. :confused:

Good luck getting this fixed on GM's dime.

danl72 05-29-2009 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by CodyC6 (Post 1570262899)
That is a safety recall, and GM needs to pay to have your roof replaced with the newer design. No question about it. Not a warranty matter. Even though you had your roof replaced once, you still haven't received the updated roof, so you have not had the recall performed yet.

Frustrating I'm sure, but I'm sure it will be taken care of.

:iagree: You need to take it in and have them take care of it.

beachfrontvette 05-29-2009 11:49 PM

Warn them of a lawsuit or actually sue the dealer who did the repair job, for their faulty work, and that should encourage them to get you a replacement from GM. Recalls are not subject to warranty limitations, as well as repairs made under recall provisions.

No reason to let your car sit idle.. Buy a replacement roof and then sue for the cost of the roof. You have to mitigate your own damages and a claim of not being able to use the vehicle, because you fail to purchase a part costing a few hundred bucks is not reasonable.

Wayne O 05-29-2009 11:58 PM

I haven't heard of a flying roof in a long time. I'm sorry about your misfortune and glad no one was injured. I don't know if my roof was replaced per the recall or not. I received numerous recall notices about the roof so I always assumed it was.

The roof separation issue was the subject of a recall so I would certainly press to have GM remedy the situation. I think you had a reasonable expectation that the dealership (on behalf of GM) permanently fixed the defect. So if you had your roof 'fixed' under the customer satisfaction program and then took it back in to 'fix' when the recall was formally issued do you think GM would then replace your roof? Probably not...they would have told you it has already been fixed. It's a clever technicality but it doesn't make sense.

tim87tr 05-30-2009 12:02 AM

the bad news

Originally Posted by mpuzach (Post 1570262859)
[*]GM customer service has told my dealer (not the same one that performed the fix in 2006 - I've moved since then) to try to get resolution through their factory rep. That dialogue won't take place until at least Monday so it's going to be at least several days until I know whether or not GM is going to cover this.[/LIST]I'm surprised, disappointed, and angry that customer service didn't immediately agree to cover the cost of replacing my roof. It's especially aggravating since they know that they replaced my roof with another defective one that was identical to the original one; they changed to a different part after mine was replaced but because I got mine "fixed" early, I didn't get the new design. To me that's just fundamentally wrong.

Hopefully the news will be better come Monday. In the meantime, my Corvette is committed to the garage with its roof panel being held on with duct tape so as to keep bugs out. This sucks.

I'd welcome any thoughts others here might have. Thanks for reading.

Ummmm sorry to inform, but I have an 05 and just went through this bs all week. They will NOT cover mine since it was previously fixed with the last owner. I was going to post a thread, but I just starting fixing mine tonight myself.

It is the principal of the situation. They will do anything to not issue a recall and list a TSB, unless it is a safety or liability issue, which obviously this is, and therefore the recall. My only assessment is that GM is no longer liable if they perform the recall work. It all boils down to legal crap, so apparently they think they are in the clear. Besides they declare bankruptcy on Monday.

I just ripped the stupid thing the rest of the way off, used light sandpaper, clean with alcohol, and use a two part epoxy tomorrow. I will post results. I did get to debate/gripe/bitch/holler at GM corp for 12 minutes today though:D Nothing had any impact on them.

I've always owned GMs, bought my first Ford, an 03 Cobra 2 years ago, but told them it was my last GM vehicle. Back to principal of the situation, you know if I go out and blow my engine up, that is on me! But a flipping recall, that they reluctantly issue because they'd rather have a TSB but it is a liability and safety issue, and legally they determine they are forced to handle it in that manner. Then they weasel out of it, complete incompetence!! FU GM (that is when they hung up on me):leaving:

mikez51c6 05-30-2009 12:05 AM

Man that sux good luck:willy:

SGTKELLYARMY 05-30-2009 12:23 AM

lost roof

the same thing happen to me but i for got to latch it down ,i ended up getting a transparent top looks good,do you wanna sell your latches and frame?

(Lucy) 05-30-2009 12:25 AM

Sorry to here about your mishap!!:ack: Hope every thing works out!!:thumbs:

mpuzach 05-30-2009 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by SGTKELLYARMY (Post 1570263325)
the same thing happen to me but i for got to latch it down ,i ended up getting a transparent top looks good,do you wanna sell your latches and frame?

I'll wait and see how this whole thing plays out first, thank you. :cheers:

cclive 05-30-2009 12:31 AM

Sorry to hear about it Mike......Small Claims Court is usually a $2000 to $5000 limit and would be very easy to do.....so it might make a good threat. Good luck and keep us posted!:thumbs:

Tommy D 05-30-2009 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by tim87tr (Post 1570263168)
Ummmm sorry to inform, but I have an 05 and just went through this bs all week. They will NOT cover mine since it was previously fixed with the last owner. I was going to post a thread, but I just starting fixing mine tonight myself.

It is the principal of the situation. They will do anything to not issue a recall and list a TSB, unless it is a safety or liability issue, which obviously this is, and therefore the recall. My only assessment is that GM is no longer liable if they perform the recall work. It all boils down to legal crap, so apparently they think they are in the clear. Besides they declare bankruptcy on Monday.

I just ripped the stupid thing the rest of the way off, used light sandpaper, clean with alcohol, and use a two part epoxy tomorrow. I will post results. I did get to debate/gripe/bitch/holler at GM corp for 12 minutes today though:D Nothing had any impact on them.

I've always owned GMs, bought my first Ford, an 03 Cobra 2 years ago, but told them it was my last GM vehicle. Back to principal of the situation, you know if I go out and blow my engine up, that is on me! But a flipping recall, that they reluctantly issue because they'd rather have a TSB but it is a liability and safety issue, and legally they determine they are forced to handle it in that manner. Then they weasel out of it, complete incompetence!! FU GM (that is when they hung up on me):leaving:

That brings out a good point GM by going bankrupt will try and weasel out of all its past obligations. The stock holders lost everything, the bond holders are being screwed so why not screw the customers too. I hope I am wrong and that GM replaces the defective roof as it was recalled and should have been replaced.

1stc6z51 05-30-2009 08:15 AM

Don't worry GM will replace the roof, there was a recall and apparently the job was done incorrectly the first time. The only thing is that after the Bankruptcy filing on Monday, the dealership will probably never get reimbursed by GM.

waldow 05-30-2009 08:32 AM

Mpuzach--- don't try to weasel you way into the FRC membership, you are not eligible if the latches were locked. LOL

you 'll get it fixed by GM

moolys 05-30-2009 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Blue Dragon (Post 1570263342)
Sorry to here about your mishap!!:ack: Hope every thing works out!!:thumbs:

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

dvilin 05-30-2009 08:39 AM

You would hope they would do the right thing and replace it for you. Unfortunately all you can do now is wait until Monday and see what kind of decision they make and their line of reasoning. I hope it goes your way, if not you can continue to protest up the food chain, other than that you could be out of luck.

07blkvette 05-30-2009 08:46 AM

I have never received a recall notice and how do I know if I should have it done? I have a 2007.