CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   1989 Charcoal Canister Purge Solenoid? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/2343783-1989-charcoal-canister-purge-solenoid.html)

dry 06-02-2009 04:07 PM

1989 Charcoal Canister Purge Solenoid?

On an 89 C4 why would charcoal canister purge solenoid be extremely hot to the touch with in a few minutes of starting the car? it actually gets to hot to touch!!:crazy:

What happens if you bypass/eliminate the solenoid along with the canister, seeing as how there are know emmissions checks in my state.:bigears

Thanking you in advance!

dry 06-02-2009 07:39 PM

:confused:

joe wilson 06-02-2009 08:28 PM

If you take all the canister stuff off it nothing adverse will happen...The tank will just vent into the air like the old cars did. You will have to do something about :flag: that pesky "check engine" light. You had also better save the parts that you take off in case your state eventually does do the inspections. That's one reason I haven't done mine, plus the pump and catalitic converter. I figured as soon as I get them off I'd have to reinstall them.

Benny42 06-02-2009 08:36 PM

An '89 won't set a check engine light for a removed purge
canister. You can lose the A.I.R. system too, no codes
will set on that either. benny

dry 06-02-2009 08:36 PM

Thanks for the above info, but does anyone know why the 89 C4 charcoal canister purge solenoid would be extremely hot to the touch with in a few minutes of starting the car?

Also is anything special need to remove the A.I.R System?

383vett 06-02-2009 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by dry (Post 1570304269)
On an 89 C4 why would charcoal canister purge solenoid be extremely hot to the touch with in a few minutes of starting the car? it actually gets to hot to touch!!:crazy:

What happens if you bypass/eliminate the solenoid along with the canister, seeing as how there are know emmissions checks in my state.:bigears

Thanking you in advance!

I wouldn't worry about the solenoid being hot. It's probably been that way for 20 years. If it bothers you, change it. No reason to bypass it unless there is a problem. It vents the fuel tank, decreases emissions and prevents gas smell from entering the passenger area. There is no performance to be gained by eliminating the setup.

dry 06-02-2009 08:44 PM

Thanks, just concerned about it being HOT and damaging something else because of an electrical problem or something. Just happened to notice this by accident after replacing the canister..........

joe wilson 06-02-2009 08:50 PM

As far as I know, the only thing that would make an electrical component hot would be a short or being close to something that's hot. It would probably be hard to test for a short, so just replace it if it bothers you. If the electrical part is shorted it probably isn't working right anyway.

Benny42 06-02-2009 08:53 PM

I agree with 383vette. No reason to delete it if it works or is
repairable. The A.I.R. system will need an eliminator bracket
to replace the pump. My pump failed so i ditched it and removed the hoses and solenoids. benny

jimg's'93 06-02-2009 08:56 PM

Not sure if that's normal or not on your year, but a solenoid that has continual power to it will get hot to the touch. If that's the case, you've got to find out why it's being activated continually. It could also have an internal short.

Benny42 06-02-2009 08:59 PM

A solenoid coil will run hot in normal operation. The purge solenoid is closed when powered and unpowers/opens when
the engine warms up to normal operating temp. It isn't smoking
is it? benny

dry 06-02-2009 09:29 PM

Nope doesn't smoke, this front corner of the car has been hit lightly from behind the front bumper between wheel and bumper corner and actually smashed the canister which is why i replaced the canister. Couldn't ever see or find any damage to the solenoid or wires, guess i better look more closely............