CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   Tech II (need to correct mileage for an HUD install) (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/2343790-tech-ii-need-to-correct-mileage-for-an-hud-install.html)

vette.mix 06-02-2009 04:17 PM

Tech II (need to correct mileage for an HUD install)

Is there anyone in the DC-Bailtimore area with the GM Tech II that can can correct the mileage on a cluster. I'm getting ready to do a HUD install on a 98. I need to change to a hud cluster and change the mileage to match existing.

jedblanks 06-02-2009 04:17 PM

And not to Hijack, but I'd like to do the same in Houston. I have the old and new cluster.

ragtopws6 06-02-2009 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by vette.mix (Post 1570304381)
Is there anyone in the DC-Bailtimore area with the GM Tech II that can can correct the mileage on a cluster. I'm getting ready to do a HUD install on a 98. I need to change to a hud cluster and change the mileage to match existing.

I do have an access to a Tech II but you cannot program miles on C5 with Tech II. That has to be done by a speedo/radio shop.

tstar 06-02-2009 06:33 PM

OP check your other thread on this subject. Calgary posted a very interesting fact that if you swap the small circuit board in the back of the IPC, your mileage info will go with it into the new IPC.

I too was under the assumption that a Tech II could change the mileage....

vette.mix 06-03-2009 06:19 PM

I spoke with a dealership and was told that it can be done with a Tech II, my son went on the HP tuner section, that used to be able to do it but had some legal problems and had to take it out of there software- they said you needed a Tech II. I will end up going to the dealership to have it done but would rather have a fourm member do it.

vette.mix 06-03-2009 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by tstar (Post 1570306010)
OP check your other thread on this subject. Calgary posted a very interesting fact that if you swap the small circuit board in the back of the IPC, your mileage info will go with it into the new IPC.

I too was under the assumption that a Tech II could change the mileage....

I'm don't think this can be done since has the HUD connectors that you need are on the newer boards, this is what PaceThis has informed me and he is very knowledgeable on HUD installs. He can do the mileage but is in S.C.

ajg1915 06-03-2009 09:28 PM

Send a PM to "PACETHIS" aka Josh he used to sell the HUD upgrade kits.

tstar 06-04-2009 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by vette.mix (Post 1570319824)
I'm don't think this can be done since has the HUD connectors that you need are on the newer boards, this is what PaceThis has informed me and he is very knowledgeable on HUD installs. He can do the mileage but is in S.C.

No I'm not talking about the Mother Board but the smaller green PC board shown here in the lower left corner;

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...9/IPC/back.jpg

I think it's worth a shot as it's free and also you can verify for the rest of us if indeed this does work seeings how we're getting conflicting info all of a sudden... :thumbs:

Tim

tstar 06-04-2009 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by ajg1915 (Post 1570321962)
Send a PM to "PACETHIS" aka Josh he used to sell the HUD upgrade kits.

Holy heck aig... you changed your avatar, don't tell me you finally got your beast rolling????????????????

Tim

ajg1915 06-04-2009 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by tstar (Post 1570324854)
Holy heck aig... you changed your avatar, don't tell me you finally got your beast rolling????????????????

Tim

Almost, just waiting on a few more parts from GM to come in :toetap:

Once they come in the car will be coming home and getting a new drive train and interior.

I'm putting in a 416 (LS3 / L92) combo and converting to an automatic using RPM's A4 / C6 Z06 differential along with some other suspension upgrades.

Then it will be on onto the interior. I'll post up some photos when I get it home. :)

vette.mix 06-04-2009 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by tstar (Post 1570324852)
No I'm not talking about the Mother Board but the smaller green PC board shown here in the lower left corner;

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...9/IPC/back.jpg

I think it's worth a shot as it's free and also you can verify for the rest of us if indeed this does work seeings how we're getting conflicting info all of a sudden... :thumbs:

Tim

I sure will give it a try and post the results, this Sunday I will do the install if there is no rain
Thanks for all the advise

schpenxel 06-04-2009 04:10 PM

I have the equipment to adjust mileage. If needed please PM me.

SteveDoten 06-04-2009 04:40 PM

conflicting info, will wait for results, I have some clusters to get rid of

schpenxel 06-04-2009 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Doten (Post 1570331705)
conflicting info, will wait for results, I have some clusters to get rid of

What conflicting information are you referring to? I'm fairly certain I can clarify things for you.

The mileage is on the surface mounted chip (I think it's either an HC11 or HC12 chip) that's at the middle/right of the circuit board posted above. Reprogramming that is all that's needed to change the mileage (although it must be removed from the board first which is not easy without the right tools)

A Tech II can not do that as far as I know.

tstar 06-04-2009 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by ajg1915 (Post 1570326055)
Almost, just waiting on a few more parts from GM to come in :toetap:

Once they come in the car will be coming home and getting a new drive train and interior.

I'm putting in a 416 (LS3 / L92) combo and converting to an automatic using RPM's A4 / C6 Z06 differential along with some other suspension upgrades.

Then it will be on onto the interior. I'll post up some photos when I get it home. :)

Can't wait to see the pics of her all done finally! I've been following your build for some time, it sounds mean! :cheers:

Tim

tstar 06-04-2009 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by schpenxel (Post 1570331813)
What conflicting information are you referring to? I'm fairly certain I can clarify things for you.

The mileage is on the surface mounted chip (I think it's either an HC11 or HC12 chip) that's at the middle/right of the circuit board posted above. Reprogramming that is all that's needed to change the mileage (although it must be removed from the board first which is not easy without the right tools)

A Tech II can not do that as far as I know.

That's the conflict, we've believed for some time now that a Tech II can, in fact change the mileage... And now swapping the small board into the new IPC is all that may be needed to do. :willy:

Tim

tstar 06-04-2009 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by vette.mix (Post 1570331128)
I sure will give it a try and post the results, this Sunday I will do the install if there is no rain
Thanks for all the advise

I'll be waiting to hear how it goes! Thanx for guinea pigging this for us! :cheers:

Tim

SteveDoten 06-04-2009 06:56 PM

.xel, the small board on the pic does not have the mileage?

schpenxel 06-05-2009 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Doten (Post 1570333382)
.xel, the small board on the pic does not have the mileage?

?

I assure you it does.

oakvillec5 06-05-2009 03:32 PM

I have a 98, what does it cost to add the HUD and does it require a different windshield? Just curious as HUD appears to be the only option my car does not have, not even sure if it was available in the 98.