CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Drag Racing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/drag-racing-90/)
-   -   << Introducing ECS' new manual steering rack kit for C5's >> (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/drag-racing/2349478-introducing-ecs-new-manual-steering-rack-kit-for-c5s.html)

DOUG @ ECS 06-09-2009 01:21 PM

<< Introducing ECS' new manual steering rack kit for C5's >>

East Coast Supercharging (ECS) is happy to introduce a manual rack & pinion steering system for the 1997 to 2004 (C5) Corvette. This Race ready package is comprised of top quality components and reduces weight and parasitic drag caused by the factory power steering and pump assembly.

This kit comes complete with a Flaming River pinto style rack, Aluminum rack extensions with Teflon sleeved tie rod ends, bump steer kit, 3 high quality universal joints (one machined to fit the C5 Steering shaft), aluminum mounting brackets with auxiliary steering shaft support, and all necessary mounting hardware and jam nuts.

The package also includes an optional alternator relocation kit allowing users to position your alternator where the factory air conditioner mounts. This feature allows the serious drag racer to drive the alternator off the 4 rib provision on stock or overdrive crank dampers. This optional kit comes with brackets, hardware and a new alternator pulley.

The system is designed for C5’s modified for Drag Racing which retain the stock front cradle and suspension, and the system is carefully designed to maintain the full stock steering radius.

The complete kit from the firewall out is $1,395
Adding the alternator relocation brackets while purchasing the rack are an additional $99. Sold separately $149.

Mike69@ECS 06-09-2009 01:22 PM

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_k-_3RzKDQig/Si...0/DSC_0001.JPG

DOUG @ ECS 06-09-2009 01:27 PM

One neat thing with this is that if you are an NA or turbo guy, you can just get an electric water pump without a pulley (cheaper) and not even have a "main" belt on your car anymore. :thumbs:

REDGAR 06-09-2009 02:14 PM

You guys are really rolling out the drag racing products this week....great job and thanks.

DOUG @ ECS 06-09-2009 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by REDGAR (Post 1570387904)
You guys are really rolling out the drag racing products this week....great job and thanks.

I'm not done yet, I just havn't had time to post up everything yet. :lol:

MPRTKLR 06-09-2009 05:35 PM

Just out of curiosity, how much of a weight savings are we talking about? Also, I had a '72 GTO with manual steering. Is it safe to assume it would be comparable to that or because the C5 is a modern car, it would be a little better? It made no difference really on the highway, but doing a k turn or low speed turn was always interesting. Either way, great job coming out with new race specific products :thumbs:

mackeyred96 06-09-2009 05:57 PM

Great Job Doug, :cheers:

DOUG @ ECS 06-09-2009 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by MPRTKLR (Post 1570390291)
Just out of curiosity, how much of a weight savings are we talking about? Also, I had a '72 GTO with manual steering. Is it safe to assume it would be comparable to that or because the C5 is a modern car, it would be a little better? It made no difference really on the highway, but doing a k turn or low speed turn was always interesting. Either way, great job coming out with new race specific products :thumbs:

I wish I weighed a complete rack/pump/lines/cooler assy when I took them off, but I haven't yet, sorry. I would think it would be a fair amount lighter, and of course the lack of spinning the pump, but I'll have to post that the next time I do an in house install.

The GTO would have been a fair amount heavier so it would have been a little more work, but manual steering is manual steering. It is however much easier to turn then a power steering rack that does not have a belt or working in general though. Manual racks are geared to be easier, and with a skinny on the front, it's not hard at all IMO. I really dont mind my car on the street at all, (disclaimer-this product is not for street use :D) but I accept these things in the name of going faster and more reliability from the car at the track. and hey, it keeps the wife from driving it! :lol:

thanks guys :cheers:

Mike69@ECS 06-15-2009 10:12 AM

We have these boxed and ready to go!!! :cheers:

skull 07-02-2016 10:57 AM

Did you stop offering this. I can't find anything on a manual rack

mackeyred96 07-03-2016 12:43 PM

I need to stop and say hi!

DOUG @ ECS 07-05-2016 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by skull (Post 1592547869)
Did you stop offering this. I can't find anything on a manual rack

Basically yes, but I can take a look and see if we have any of the parts still to put one together. I'll PM you if we do.

smokinstorm 07-05-2016 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by MPRTKLR https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...s/viewpost.gif
Just out of curiosity, how much of a weight savings are we talking about?

I wish I weighed a complete rack/pump/lines/cooler assy when I took them off, but I haven't yet, sorry. I would think it would be a fair amount lighter, and of course the lack of spinning the pump, but I'll have to post that the next time I do an in house install.

Any follow-up to this question?

all4spl 07-02-2017 06:28 PM

Let me get one of these pretty please. :)

DOUG @ ECS 07-03-2017 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by all4spl (Post 1595064991)
Let me get one of these pretty please. :)

I'll check and see if we still have some of these, I'll PM you after the holiday.

all4spl 07-03-2017 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS (Post 1595069293)
I'll check and see if we still have some of these, I'll PM you after the holiday.

thanks bud

hairymeister 10-01-2018 07:30 PM

I may be interested in one of these... but only need the rack and mounting points. It's going into a custom frame with a C5 based front suspension.