CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Anyone upgrade to Z06 brakes on the rear only? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2363748-anyone-upgrade-to-z06-brakes-on-the-rear-only.html)

Mr Guns 06-27-2009 04:31 PM

Anyone upgrade to Z06 brakes on the rear only?

I've been looking at upgrading my brakes since it's time for new pads, mainly for the bling factor. I hate that little caliper on the back, and think the Z06 brakes look much better, mainly because the rear has a much larger caliper. Is anyone running Z51 brake rotors and calipers on the front, and Z06 rotors and calipers on the rear? Is this even something one should consider?

If not, then I may just do the upgrade all the way around. It looks like I can get a good deal on the following parts if I move now:
OEM calipers and pads
OEM rotors
Brake lines
Other than brake fluid, is there anything else that I will need?

Also, I know that I will need new wheels. I'm probably going to just use spacers until some Z06 Spyders in 19x11 come out.

talon90 06-27-2009 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by batmoble (Post 1570596384)
I've been looking at upgrading my brakes since it's time for new pads, mainly for the bling factor. I hate that little caliper on the back, and think the Z06 brakes look much better, mainly because the rear has a much larger caliper. Is anyone running Z51 brake rotors and calipers on the front, and Z06 rotors and calipers on the rear? Is this even something one should consider?

If not, then I may just do the upgrade all the way around. It looks like I can get the parts for the following if I move now:
OEM calipers and pads - $900
OEM rotors - $400
Brake lines - $100
Other than brake fluid, is there anything else that I will need?

Also, I know that I will need new wheels. I'm probably going to just use spacers until some Z06 Spyders in 19x11 come out.

Putting just Z06 on the rear would cause one hell of a brake bias problem in my opinion. I don't think that I'd do that.

In my opinion, go for the whole package. Easy to say when it isn't my money. :lol:

Mr Guns 06-27-2009 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by talon90 (Post 1570596416)
Putting just Z06 on the rear would cause one hell of a brake bias problem in my opinion. I don't think that I'd do that.

That's what I'm afraid of. But if someone here has tried it, I like to know how it worked out.

KarlK 06-27-2009 06:15 PM

I have a Z51 and recently did the rear wide body only and installed the rear Z06 calipers, rotors and StopTech lines.

The brakes work just fine. Don't notice a difference in braking over the all Z51 brakes.

Mr Guns 06-27-2009 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by KarlK (Post 1570597308)
I have a Z51 and recently did the rear wide body only and installed the rear Z06 calipers, rotors and StopTech lines.

The brakes work just fine. Don't notice a difference in braking over the all Z51 brakes.

Any pics?

johnodrake 06-27-2009 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by KarlK (Post 1570597308)

No reason they wouldn't, but as Paul said, you have a bias change. Would not be noticeable unless driven hard. Then you would notice more rear brake - bit looser under hard braking.

KarlK 06-27-2009 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by johnodrake (Post 1570598262)
No reason they wouldn't, but as Paul said, you have a bias change. Would not be noticeable unless driven hard. Then you would notice more rear brake - bit looser under hard braking.

I don't track the car but for daily and spirited driving, the car brakes and handles just fine. I took it out a couple weekends ago on its hardest uphill Dragon Tail like run and it felt the same to me. :cheers:

I will say however that ceramics are great for "no dusting" but do extend the stopping distance.

KarlK 06-27-2009 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by batmoble (Post 1570598171)
Any pics?

PM'd ya :thumbs:

Wallacefl 01-26-2016 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by KarlK (Post 1570598561)
I don't track the car but for daily and spirited driving, the car brakes and handles just fine. I took it out a couple weekends ago on its hardest uphill Dragon Tail like run and it felt the same to me. :cheers:

I will say however that ceramics are great for "no dusting" but do extend the stopping distance.

Anyone else try this... the small disc on the rear may work fine but looks:ack: