CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [Z06] A/C compressor cutting out (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/2373828-a-c-compressor-cutting-out.html)

VetteVinnie 07-10-2009 05:48 PM

A/C compressor cutting out

Happens in stop and go traffic no doubt when the underhood temperatures increase. It is not related to water or oil temp (I can run the car aggressively and get the water temps up to ~220, and it will stay cold as long as the car is moving). The weather is hot and humid right now (105+ with heat index).

I did not own this car last summer, so I don't know if this was a pre-existing condition or not. Measured the pressures in the system, and the pressure was high on the low side (~55) and over 300 on the high side.

Could this be compressor related, or just too much refrigerant in the system? Anyone else run into this?

Thanks.

jan eric 07-10-2009 06:19 PM

I posted on this about 2 weeks -just getting ready for my last auto-x of the 104 degree day. Normal temps c=205 O=183. Air cut out while I was in line.Have K&N and beehive. After run restarted car 10 minutes later and all was well. I was told here on the forum that others experienced this on hot days mainly at rest(stopped). I believe the under hood temps cause a circuit breaker switch . I never had this problem before or since .The only thought I have is the beehive may trap more air somewhere that is causing this as I have been in the exact same circumstances and higher oil and coolant temps before and no problem. Perhaps if my temps were higher the fans may have tuned to a higher speed and prevented this though they are almost on full at @205 degrees per my settings.I went up to higher temps climbing to the top of a dam here in Ca. on the 4th(232 degrees) on the 4th with no problem.

VetteVinnie 07-10-2009 07:01 PM

Yes, that sounds exactly like what I'm experiencing, except I have a Vararam. And it has so far done it both times I had the car out this week (similar temps - in the 100s). I suspect the headers may be exacerbating under hood temps. Do you have any mods?

kenmal5 07-10-2009 07:10 PM

air cond.

Had same issue two days ago. Air temp. was 105, coolant 205, oil185. Air condition shut off pushed auto button imediately, came back on and stayed on for the rest of the time. About 1/2 hour assorted driving.

stone150 07-10-2009 09:11 PM

I don't have a vette, but i have a 01 silverado and I live in houston, the same thing has been happening to me. i had the A/C serviced about a month ago. since it has been hitting 100+ the ac has not been real cold when stopped and so far 3 times it seems as if the ac stops at a stop sign, or something. I only notice it because i can smell the difference, "more humid" but then it starts bac on about the same time i smell it. I usually have it on #2 fan speed and recirculate.

99C5-TA 07-11-2009 12:00 AM

I put the vararam on my car 3 days ago and my car is doing the exact same thing. I've had the MTI intake for over a year and never had this problem until I switched to the vararam.

08C6ZO6 07-11-2009 12:04 AM

A couple guys were talking about this last summer. Im not a mechanic and I am repeating from a vague memory, but, they were saying something about the head pressure in the compressor being to high, they dropped it about 5 PSI and it took care of the problem. Good luck.

VetteVinnie 07-11-2009 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by 08C6ZO6 (Post 1570746042)
A couple guys were talking about this last summer. Im not a mechanic and I am repeating from a vague memory, but, they were saying something about the head pressure in the compressor being to high, they dropped it about 5 PSI and it took care of the problem. Good luck.

I heard that, too. So how does one drop the head pressure?

seamus2154 07-11-2009 02:34 AM

Had the same issue on my 08Z after putting a stretch bra on the nose. The c6z gets all of its air thru the front opening none from under like the c5z. It wasn't even that hot out but the motor got very hot in town and the a/c kicked off. After running down the road w/ no bra came back on and never had a problem again.

LSs1Power 07-11-2009 05:24 AM

I got my car last week after spending around two months at the dealer for the same problem. It turned out to be a faulty switch which caused the compressor to stop working when parked in high ambient temps. We have temps of 120f around here and the A/C is working fine after they have changed the switch.

71C3Vette 07-11-2009 06:45 AM

I have had the exact experience several times and my intake is stock, hot exterior temperatures, stop and go traffic and all my fluid temperatures are within normal range. This one common denominator with my issue is that this situation only accurse when I have the front end mask on the car.