CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Drag Racing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/drag-racing-90/)
-   -   Coolant Flush ??? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/drag-racing/2396718-coolant-flush.html)

danielf 08-08-2009 10:26 PM

Coolant Flush ???

Looking for any help or pointers on How To Completely drain/flush ALL off my antifreeze out of my rad system and engine block :ack: I have three weekends of racing coming up and don't want to get caught :nono: with even a small amount of the block antifreeze left over. Thanks guys :thumbs:

Fuzzy Dice 08-10-2009 09:23 AM

FWIW, I take all my cars to a local radiator service company...they have a system that pushes clear water via 100lbs. of compressed air through the cooling system and block.... when it runs clear you are done...flushes everything including the block....then they refill with whatever you want....

Cost me $79.00 last year...well worth it in my opinion...

REDGAR 08-11-2009 08:09 PM

Here is a novice question, would it make sense for a do it yourself to do it several times to get it all out? Maybe three or five cycles of getting the engine warm? Is that a silly idea?

kazman 08-11-2009 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by REDGAR (Post 1571105004)
Here is a novice question, would it make sense for a do it yourself to do it several times to get it all out? Maybe three or five cycles of getting the engine warm? Is that a silly idea?

I think that would work but what are you doing with all that old dirty coolant? Trans flushes are same. It's easier to have a shop do the work and dispose of the old materials.

danielf 08-11-2009 10:25 PM

Tough spots...

From what I can tell so far is it's the trapped fluid behind the water pump that gives you the most trouble. I remember Preston used to have a in-line water hose hook up to assist in a flush. When I get some time I'm going to try to look into something along that idea that I can get a clean flush... Don't know for sure yet. Edgar I have tried your suggestion and it works but you still just keep diluting it each time you flush. Thanks guys :thumbs:

Z06 4 Me 11-02-2009 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by danielf (Post 1571071649)
Looking for any help or pointers on How To Completely drain/flush ALL off my antifreeze out of my rad system and engine block :ack: I have three weekends of racing coming up and don't want to get caught :nono: with even a small amount of the block antifreeze left over. Thanks guys :thumbs:

Hi, I'm a novice so this is probably a dumb question, but why are you trying to get all the coolant out to go racing? Does that give more power?:flag:

C5 Pete 11-02-2009 01:17 PM

You cant (aren't supposed to) run coolant on the track, as it is a real pain to clean up if you blow a line. Antifreeze is really slippery stuff.

danielf 11-02-2009 03:22 PM

New Trick...

After watching one of those change over coolant machines :ack: Make a mess of my front belt area, I thought of a way to blow out the block coolant by using a hose and valve setup at the inside hose connection by the thermostat that will allow you to slow purge out the coolant with the proper setup , WITH no soaking of the belts and air cond. unit. Took some time to set up but I think it will work great for next season change over.... Anything controlled is better than soaking down the whole right side of the engine bay... Take Care Dan :cheers:
PS ... :eek: Watch some of the Pinks episodes when antifreeze gets on the track... and watch Rich Boil Over :mad:

Z06 4 Me 11-02-2009 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Capthuff (Post 1572020048)
You cant (aren't supposed to) run coolant on the track, as it is a real pain to clean up if you blow a line. Antifreeze is really slippery stuff.

I see now. Thanks!:cheers:

larry00 11-03-2009 12:08 PM

I cut an old radator hose and put in a fitting to hook up a hose and bottled up the first run to add back later and then flushed at will.
$ 79.00 will buy a lot of race gas !