CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   My '05 Fuel Gauge just quit...Why? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2420074-my-05-fuel-gauge-just-quit-why.html)

TIGER2 09-07-2009 09:20 PM

My '05 Fuel Gauge just quit...Why?

Took my '05 out today....All good...I need gas...I fill my tank....Check engine light comes on "Service Fuel System" and the fuel gauge reads empty. On the way home it went to a half of a tank (tank full) twice but has been dead the rest of the day. I hear it could be a sulfur deposit thing?? I was told to use Sea Foam or Techron and see if that clears it up?

Any thoughts on what the %$#% happened here? All was fine....I know when I go to the dealer they are going to try to ream me...

Please advise...Thanks.... :willy:

jmess 09-07-2009 10:17 PM

The sulfur thing is a myth. My 05's gauge quite driving off the lot after signing the papers. At that time they pulled the fuel tanks and replaced the sending units. Later there was supposed to be some firmware fix. If they have to pull the tanks you are going to pay a ton.

Atomic-Vette 09-07-2009 10:18 PM

Techron fixed it for me.. I did it just because it was cheap, I REALLY didn't think it would do anything, but within' a day of me putting the techron in, the fuel gauge started working normal... crazy!

K9KUZ 09-07-2009 10:19 PM

All I can tell you is that a buddy of mine had the same problem a couple of years ago with his 05. Dealer dropped the fuel tank(s) and replaced the sending units under warranty.. I recall several discussions about this problem, perhaps 2 or 3 years ago on this forum. Good Luck. Knock on Wood: My 05 is still OK.

dwiemers 09-07-2009 10:23 PM

Well... I would first make sure you are using top tier fuels. Right now if you aren't, you better start putting in Chevron or Shell Gas, on the C5's it was recommended to put in Chevron if the gas gauge stopped working and it usually helped. This was the sulfer type deal you were talking about I believe.

If it were me... run the gas through the car that you just purchased (too late now!) and use Chevron for 2-3 tanks and see if it helps. If that doesn't work, I would then take it to a dealer.

I had a similar experience b/c I used gas with some ethanol in it and a former C6 of mine freaked out, it fixed itself with the method listed above....

As for the sea foam type deal, I've heard of that, but cannot speak from experience!

Johnny Utah 09-07-2009 10:38 PM

This is just a thought,same happened to me and it was a faulty gas cap,the cap was difficult to lock, bought new cap never happened again

S2K 09-07-2009 10:43 PM

I had the same thing happen on my '05 a few years ago. This is a known problem with the '05 and can be fixed with a software re-flash. It has nothing to do with the gas. I've only taken my C6 to the Chevron, Shell, and Mobile's of the world and only have used premium fuel.