CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   New Battery in the Key FOB... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2422097-new-battery-in-the-key-fob.html)

AM.MSCL 09-10-2009 11:12 AM

New Battery in the Key FOB...

The car is a 06 Z06.
Had to replace the battery in FOB #1 recently.
FOB #2 still works with no issues.

After replacing the battery in FOB #1; the doors will not unlock, can not open the trunk hatch with either the button on the FOB or the one on the car by the license plate. The car will not start either!

I figured ok it lost its programming and need to reprogram the car to it's coding and go through the short programming method of just adding a new unknown FOB while having a good known FOB.
I get the DIC to show please place unknown fob in fob slot. I plug in the #1 into and get a message "Known FOB".

I can not get #1 FOB to work again no matter if I push the buttons on the FOB or hope it will use the wireless aspect.

Anyone have any thoughts about getting this FOB to work again?
It has a new battery in the FOB! I am really trying to avoid going through the reprogramming all the FOBs to the car process.
Thanks
Ray

Red Cell 09-10-2009 11:17 AM

I was just thinking about doing the same thing...

:lurk:

Red Cell.:cool:

heisnuts 09-10-2009 11:19 AM

Sounds like FOB 1 is not getting any power. I would first try removing the battery again and make sure contacts are clean and battery is installed correctly. If that did not work, I would switch the battery from FOB 2 to FOB 1 to rule out a dead battery installed in FOB 1.

vettedoogie 09-10-2009 11:20 AM

I always ask the simple, dumb questions first...are you sure the battery is in correctly and that you had a up-to-date battery? Were your hands good and clean when you handled the battery? I haven't had to change a Vette fob battery but have changed other fobs batts and you shouldn't need a re-programming if all else was done correctly.

nwc6 09-10-2009 11:21 AM

I just replaced the battery in my 08 fob #1. Are you sure the battery is in correctly? Its pretty easy to get upside down. Maybe a bad/old battery? :cheers:

QwikC 09-10-2009 11:27 AM

Having experienced an identical circumstance, if the battery proves to be live and situated correctly, reprogram both fobs and thereby possibly eliminate the time researching what it can be.

holdin5aces 09-10-2009 11:48 AM

could it be?

Originally Posted by heisnuts (Post 1571444963)
Sounds like FOB 1 is not getting any power. I would first try removing the battery again and make sure contacts are clean and battery is installed correctly. If that did not work, I would switch the battery from FOB 2 to FOB 1 to rule out a dead battery installed in FOB 1.

I recently put a new 9V back up battery in a smoke detector. Still beeped low battery. Bad batteries happen. Try another.

cclive 09-10-2009 12:09 PM

The slot is working correctly and the fob is programmed properly to the car because of the "known fob" message. The fob either has the battery in backwards or the new battery may be bad. Do not re-program the fobs, as the car already recognizes them and it will not help this problem. The fob may also have gone bad...but check the battery first.:thumbs:

Vette_DD 09-10-2009 12:14 PM

The positive side of the battery goes DOWN.

AtHomeSoda 09-10-2009 01:19 PM

Ok....

The question is:

Was the OLD battery really bad... or did the fob just die? If the fob is bad, replacing the battery does no good. If you have a volt meter you can check out both batteries... my .02

cclive 09-10-2009 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by AtHomeSoda (Post 1571446358)
The question is:

Was the OLD battery really bad... or did the fob just die? If the fob is bad, replacing the battery does no good. If you have a volt meter you can check out both batteries... my .02

Good advice...:iagree:

CA C6 Fan 09-10-2009 04:03 PM

Just as an fyi, the Li-Ion battery in the key fob is a CR2032. It's not a very popular battery, meaning, I had trouble finding it at both WalMart and Target. Both had them as stock items but neither stocked them. Both were around $4 per battery if they had them.

I did find them at www.batteryjunction.com. I bought 2 of these batteries (.95/ea - Energizers) and $3.45 shipping (USPS-1st class). They will arrive in 3-4 days from CT. I plan to replace both batteries (one was already dead) in both my fobs. The spec I read on-line, said these batteries are supposed to last "up to 10-years"? Not even 5-years on one, for me?????

Hope this helps.

Shark Racer 09-10-2009 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by CA C6 Fan (Post 1571448140)
Just as an fyi, the Li-Ion battery in the key fob is a CR2032. It's not a very popular battery, meaning, I had trouble finding it at both WalMart and Target. Both had them as stock items but neither stocked them. Both were around $4 per battery if they had them.

I did find them at www.batteryjunction.com. I bought 2 of these batteries (.95/ea - Energizers) and $3.45 shipping (USPS-1st class). They will arrive in 3-4 days from CT. I plan to replace both batteries (one was already dead) in both my fobs. The spec I read on-line, said these batteries are supposed to last "up to 10-years"? Not even 5-years on one, for me?????

Hope this helps.

10 years in storage maybe, and the PKE system on the C6 drains battery a lot quicker than regular remotes which require user intervention.

vettedoogie 09-10-2009 04:16 PM

I'm curious if the OP has tried anything else or if the problem is solved.:lurk:

AM.MSCL 09-10-2009 04:22 PM

I posted this morning so I have not had a chance to try anything else. The problem still exist!

Kent1999 09-10-2009 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by CA C6 Fan (Post 1571448140)

Hope this helps.

Very strange... the 2032 is probably the "AA" of the button battery world... I see them everywhere around here.

Anyway, the "10 year" statement is 'shelf life' -- length of time that the battery maintains its charge when *unused*. I'm guessing its a lithium battery, as standard (non-lithium) batteries often have a shelf life of just a couple years.

Cheers,
Kent

CA C6 Fan 09-10-2009 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Kent1999 (Post 1571448421)
Very strange... the 2032 is probably the "AA" of the button battery world... I see them everywhere around here.

Anyway, the "10 year" statement is 'shelf life' -- length of time that the battery maintains its charge when *unused*. I'm guessing its a lithium battery, as standard (non-lithium) batteries often have a shelf life of just a couple years.

Cheers,
Kent

I could not find a WM or T store that had any in-stock (I visited 2 of each). Both had them as listed stock items (space on the bar) but none were in-stock. I suppose all 4-stores were out? All I know is I could not find one, locally. Hence why I bought on-line.

Plus with the battery retailing around $4 each at both WM and T, it was much cheaper to purchase from the vendor I mentioned previously here. Even with the USPS 1st class mail charges.

Also, the dead fob was my "spare". So it was technically "stored". My in-use one has been fine (since new). I wouldn't be so sure inactivity is so benign, in my experience.

cclive 09-10-2009 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Kent1999 (Post 1571448421)

Cheers,
Kent

:iagree: That is strange...I have seen 2032 in every drugstore (walgreens, rite aid etc), supermarket, hardware store (TruValue, Ace), WalMart,Target, Radio Shack, Lowes, Home Depot...etc. Around here, more stores have them than don't. At my Walmart, they are in a two pack for $4.50. The 10 years refers to the shelf life. This means that it does make sense to buy an extra and keep it at home, it will sit in the cabinet in the garage for 10 years with no significant loss of power.:thumbs:

CA C6 Fan 09-10-2009 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by cclive (Post 1571448961)
:The 10 years refers to the shelf life. This means that it does make sense to buy an extra and keep it at home, it will sit in the cabinet in the garage for 10 years with no significant loss of power.:thumbs:

As I stated before, my "spare" fob has basically "sat", doing nothing for around 5-years. I was going to use it when I took my 'Vette in for service recently and it was dead. So, I'm not so sure a stored fob will have a shelf-life of 10-years?

When I get the batteries I ordered, I am going to replace both fob-batteries. Let's see if the stored one lasts 10-years (doubtful)?

VET4LES 09-10-2009 07:20 PM

This problem came up a few months ago and the owner found out he installed the new battery upside down. My guess is that's the problem. :thumbs: