CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   New Battery in the Key FOB... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2422097-new-battery-in-the-key-fob.html)

thechief 09-10-2009 07:25 PM

^ That would be me ^ :ack:

I speak from experience.

beaversstonehaven 09-10-2009 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by CA C6 Fan (Post 1571448140)
Just as an fyi, the Li-Ion battery in the key fob is a CR2032. It's not a very popular battery, meaning, I had trouble finding it at both WalMart and Target. Both had them as stock items but neither stocked them. Both were around $4 per battery if they had them.

I did find them at www.batteryjunction.com. I bought 2 of these batteries (.95/ea - Energizers) and $3.45 shipping (USPS-1st class). They will arrive in 3-4 days from CT. I plan to replace both batteries (one was already dead) in both my fobs. The spec I read on-line, said these batteries are supposed to last "up to 10-years"? Not even 5-years on one, for me?????

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the link! I just ordered 2 CR2032's and the total bill including shipping was $5.55. After I placed the order I saw at the top of their web page they had an extra 5% off if you put in the coupon code.:o
Thanks again!

cclive 09-10-2009 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by CA C6 Fan (Post 1571450205)
As I stated before, my "spare" fob has basically "sat", doing nothing for around 5-years. I was going to use it when I took my 'Vette in for service recently and it was dead. So, I'm not so sure a stored fob will have a shelf-life of 10-years?

When I get the batteries I ordered, I am going to replace both fob-batteries. Let's see if the stored one lasts 10-years (doubtful)?

Not when stored in the fob, when stored on the shelf. Putting a battery in the fob is not storing it, thats using it.:thumbs:

AM.MSCL 09-11-2009 12:21 AM

Well I cracked open the fob to check if the battery was in correctly and before I could look at it fell out. Made it was in correct and it works now. Brainfart
ove on my part I guess!
Thanks everyone
Ray

Vette_DD 09-11-2009 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by CA C6 Fan (Post 1571450205)
As I stated before, my "spare" fob has basically "sat", doing nothing for around 5-years. I was going to use it when I took my 'Vette in for service recently and it was dead. So, I'm not so sure a stored fob will have a shelf-life of 10-years?

When I get the batteries I ordered, I am going to replace both fob-batteries. Let's see if the stored one lasts 10-years (doubtful)?

It's not the fob that only had a shelf life of 5 years, it was the fob battery. GM says the average fob battery life is about 3 years.

Even if the fob was unused, the fob battery could easily have gone dead after 5 years.

CA C6 Fan 09-11-2009 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by cclive (Post 1571451273)
Not when stored in the fob, when stored on the shelf. Putting a battery in the fob is not storing it, thats using it.:thumbs:

Technically, you're right. But I'm wondering if the fob is no where near the vehicle, how is it being "used"? Is it that as soon as the battery is installed, it activates the transmitter (even though it is received by nothing)? Hence, the use?

It would explain why the extra fob battery was dead after only 5-years. Funny though, you would think the fob I use all the time would discharge quicker than the one not used?

Maybe I should keep the one battery "with" the spare fob, since installing it would discharge it quicker?

cclive 09-11-2009 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by CA C6 Fan (Post 1571453962)
Technically, you're right. But I'm wondering if the fob is no where near the vehicle, how is it being "used"? Is it that as soon as the battery is installed, it activates the transmitter (even though it is received by nothing)? Hence, the use?

It would explain why the extra fob battery was dead after only 5-years. Funny though, you would think the fob I use all the time would discharge quicker than the one not used?

Maybe I should keep the one battery "with" the spare fob, since installing it would discharge it quicker?

Thats what I would do...but remember that the car will start with the fob in the slot, even if the battery is dead. Many, but apparently not all fobs will start the car without any battery in them at all. If the spare fob has the metal key attached, then even if the battery ends up being dead, the car will still work fine.
I think that there is a VERY slight drain on the battery when it is in the fob...just to keep it energized, and that is why it drains faster than its shelf life.:thumbs:

Torch Ace 09-11-2009 12:55 AM

the battery can't be in backwards or the car wouldn't recognize it as a know fob. If the battery were in backwards it would be like no battery in the fob.

cclive 09-11-2009 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Larry Lindsey (Post 1571454176)
the battery can't be in backwards or the car wouldn't recognize it as a know fob. If the battery were in backwards it would be like no battery in the fob.

I'm not going to test that, but many C6s can be started with no battery in the fob. All of my fobs and those of Facade will start our cars without any battery at all being inside. I know it sounds crazy...but its true.:thumbs:

CA C6 Fan 09-11-2009 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by cclive (Post 1571454129)
Thats what I would do...but remember that the car will start with the fob in the slot, even if the battery is dead. Many, but apparently not all fobs will start the car without any battery in them at all. If the spare fob has the metal key attached, then even if the battery ends up being dead, the car will still work fine.
I think that there is a VERY slight drain on the battery when it is in the fob...just to keep it energized, and that is why it drains faster than its shelf life.:thumbs:

Mine will not start with the battery being dead in the fob. On the DIC it reads "no fob detected" and the ignition button doesn't turn it over.

Please explain "fob in the slot"? My '05/C6 doesn't have a "slot" that I know of. I do have a "key" but it only locks the glove boxes. Please advise?

ABQ C6 09-11-2009 10:43 AM

There is a slot inside the glove compartment that the FOB fits into but I don't know what model year they started this.

AM.MSCL 09-11-2009 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by CA C6 Fan (Post 1571456896)
Mine will not start with the battery being dead in the fob. On the DIC it reads "no fob detected" and the ignition button doesn't turn it over.

Please explain "fob in the slot"? My '05/C6 doesn't have a "slot" that I know of. I do have a "key" but it only locks the glove boxes. Please advise?

Open the glove box and to the left of the actual storage area of the glove box is the Key FOB Slot. If you place the FOB in that slot with the buttons facing the passenger door the car will recognize a FOB.
It is covered in your Owners manual and should have been explained by the salesman also.

Vette_DD 09-11-2009 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by ABQ C6 (Post 1571457001)
There is a slot inside the glove compartment that the FOB fits into but I don't know what model year they started this.

All C6s have one.

cclive 09-11-2009 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by AM.MSCL (Post 1571457023)
Open the glove box and to the left of the actual storage area of the glove box is the Key FOB Slot. If you place the FOB in that slot with the buttons facing the passenger door the car will recognize a FOB.
It is covered in your Owners manual and should have been explained by the salesman also.

Yes, and the metal key opens the trunk with the keyhole that is just above the license plate and faces down toward the ground.
The purpose of the glovebox slot is to allow the fob to start the car even when the battery is low or dead.:thumbs:

It is a good idea to test this in case it is ever needed...thread here:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...metal-key.html

CA C6 Fan 09-11-2009 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by cclive (Post 1571457449)
Yes, and the metal key opens the trunk with the keyhole that is just above the license plate and faces down toward the ground.
The purpose of the glovebox slot is to allow the fob to start the car even when the battery is low or dead.:thumbs:

It is a good idea to test this in case it is ever needed...thread here:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...metal-key.html

Found the "key fob slot" in the main glove-box to re-introduce the fob.

However, my trunk access does not have a key-hole. Instead it is pushbutton activated without having to use any key.

Thanks to all.

nwc6 09-11-2009 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by CA C6 Fan (Post 1571458073)

However, my trunk access does not have a key-hole. Instead it is pushbutton activated without having to use any key.

Thanks to all.

Look again..its there..:cheers:

cclive 09-11-2009 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by CA C6 Fan (Post 1571458073)

Thanks to all.

No...now go back there and look again...there is a keyhole just to the left of the button...all C6s have it...even yours...:thumbs:

If you don't believe me, you can read about this mysterious keyhole on page 2-15 of your '05 owners manual. It should be in your glovebox next to the slot for the fob....:rofl:

CA C6 Fan 09-11-2009 12:41 PM

Yes, I found it (finally - I just didn't look hard enough, I guess). And it does work.

Question, why is there a push-button (just to the right of this key-slot) that also opens the hatch? Is this some sort of redundancy? Will that push-button work if the car-battery is dead? I'm guessing no?

Thanks again to all for your patience.

cclive 09-11-2009 12:47 PM

Thats why...if you have a dead battery, then the metal key is the only way into the car. Use the key and make sure that it works, so you don't find out in the middle of a dark parking lot at midnight that it doesn't...:thumbs:

For me, the push button is much easier than digging around in a pocket to find and push the fob.
On the plus side though, this means you have never had a dead battery...which is great.

brian90505 09-11-2009 01:05 PM

My FOB battery went out yesterday too. Replaced the CR2032 with a Duracell DL2032 and put a spare in the rear compartment.