CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Maaaco North Jersey (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/242640-maaaco-north-jersey.html)

fastback79 02-21-2002 01:47 AM

Maaaco North Jersey

After many painfull hours, I finally finished wetsanding the weathered 23 year old finish on my 79 vette. The body is smooth as glass and all cracks, scratches and dings are repaired. I am thinking of attempting to paint the car myself but, has anyone had any good experience with the Maaco locations in Northern Jersey? I already painted the rear deck myself using black GM exterior paint in aerosol. Came out gorgeous, but had to do a lot more sanding and buffing. I want the body ready for spring so I am considering a reliable Maaco. Any thoughts?

4_inch_Bore 02-21-2002 01:53 AM

Re: Maaaco North Jersey (fastback79)

I do my own painting, but I wouldn't hesitate using Maaco if budget were a concern and I wasn't worried about show quality.
The main (not the only) difference between a good and a great paint job is the preparation, and it sounds like you've done it well.

fastback79 02-21-2002 02:12 AM

I want something that will look good but does not have to be Bloomington Gold. I don't see the need to spend thousands of dollars on paint since I usually suffer vette withdrawl and feel the need to drive the vette during the winter months here in Jersey. I've had some good practice with the orbital polisher and 800-1200 grit wet sandpaper, so I don't think maintining a low budget paint job will be too dificult. Especially since it is black.

Tedardo 02-21-2002 03:10 AM

The better prep work you do the better a Maaco job will look. My brother sent his camaro to maaco about 2 months ago, and so far so good. You might also consider buying a higher quality paint than they spray at maaco, and have them spray with that.

BADCAIMAN 02-21-2002 07:46 PM

If you are going black..You better make sure the car is straight...Black is the worst color to paint if the car isn't straight...Poor body work on a black car will show....As for macco..They paint a lot of cars..they know how to paint..But I would recommend you do most of the removal and masking.....Good luck

7T6HER 02-25-2002 04:24 PM

I used MAACO in New Brunswick. Do your detailed masking, especially under the hood. They will spry anything that is not covered.

Ask for Jerry

Wrencher 02-25-2002 04:36 PM

Re: Maaaco North Jersey (7T6HER)

Also, ask about the paint. Some of the Maaco outlets out here will spray anything you want, but the "house" brand is low-end stuff. They shoot a lot of the older vehicles in the fleet I run, and I have had good results with their base/clear jobs. It's the same as always; you get what you pay for...

Hans

Hans

fastback79 02-25-2002 11:31 PM

Re: Maaaco North Jersey (Wrencher)

Yeah I heard they are pretty liberal with customers supplying the paint. Dupont or Sherwin Williams would be a possibility. Although I wonder if they would warranty it.