CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   L98 belt tensioner removal? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/2454690-l98-belt-tensioner-removal.html)

walter schweigert 10-24-2009 09:33 PM

L98 belt tensioner removal?

I have the serpentine belt off, now I want to take replace the tensioner assembly. Other than taking off the one bolt that appears to hold the tensioner on, is there any special diasassembly/assembly procedure to take since this thing is under spring tension?

Once I install the new one, how do I go about applying and setting the proper tension on the spring so that it keeps the belt tight?

signed,
once bitten twice shy, by someone who knows the damage that can be caused by flying parts under spring tension.:D

BADDUCK 10-24-2009 09:43 PM

Note or take a picture of the tensioner position then just take the bolt out.

walter schweigert 10-24-2009 09:48 PM

That is it? Can it really be that simple? Bolt off bolt on? No spring tension to set?

cumbercr 10-24-2009 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by walter schweigert (Post 1571930426)
That is it? Can it really be that simple? Bolt off bolt on? No spring tension to set?

Yes. It's that simple.

John A. Marker 10-25-2009 01:40 AM

Yes, one bolt. The tension unit has a pin on the underside that aligns it in the block. If you have to replace the pulley, it is normally sold as a complete unit.

walter schweigert 10-25-2009 11:44 AM

Thanks to all.
WS

jhammons01 10-25-2009 12:00 PM

Before you go and pay ~$60 for a new one.

NAPA has the bearing that goes inside the pulley. You have to drill out the old rivets in order to separate the two halves of the pulley, then you have to use fasteners in place of the rivets.......but it is a simple fix and it'll save a few $$$

Plus....for some reason I feel better about buying a single bearing from the open market place. It seems to me that an OEM could choose to purchase a cheap bearing in order to save a buck....and that same cheap bearing wouldn't make it in the open market place by trying to stand on it's own.

Case in point, I bought a CARDONE smog pump 18 months ago......The Bearing is already bad. What POS bearing did they use?? UNDERSTAND it's just a fan blade inside there.......What POS couldn't last 10k miles? I'll tell you....The cheapest Chinese made POS Cardone could source. But hey, look at the bright side....they may have saved a buck or two by giving me a POS bearing thereby increasing their profits......

So yeah, I'm a fan of buying a quality bearing and "rebuilding" things myself when I can get away with it.

donmye 10-25-2009 12:51 PM

I thought i heard somewhere that the bolt was LEFT HAND THREADS. Don

pmihaltian 10-25-2009 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by cumbercr (Post 1571930828)
Yes. It's that simple.

When you reinstall the tensioner bolt make sure that you add a little anti-seeze to the threads and torque it to 60 ft. lbs. and its ready to go. :thumbs:

AGENT 86 10-26-2009 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by donmye (Post 1571934630)
I thought i heard somewhere that the bolt was LEFT HAND THREADS. Don

RH threads.