CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Just got my Z06, mods needed? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/2456870-just-got-my-z06-mods-needed.html)

dorn74 10-27-2009 10:10 PM

Just got my Z06, mods needed?

I just bought a 2002 Red Z06 that is bone stock. I think I got a great deal on this car... $14,000. Of course it is a higher mileage car (111K), single owner, 50yr old LADY who owned it drove about 60 miles each way to work. Anyways, she is going through a divorce and I saw what I thought was a good deal, so I bought it. Everything seems to work in the car, the car seem pretty solid so I am excited about upgrading some things on it and I wanted suggestions.

First of all, the ABS lights come on periodically and the oil pressure sensor is not working. Is this common?

Second, this car is bone stock, what are some reasonably priced mods I could do to the car?

I assume exhaust and intake first, but I would like to hear what you guys think.

Thanks,

Kevin

(I tried to post a picture, but could not figure out how to do it)

slverc5 10-27-2009 10:17 PM

LT headers, high flow cats, and Borla catback. Should set you back around $3K plus install and tune.
Wheels, don't forget about new wheels:D

ztheusa 10-27-2009 11:40 PM

CLB and Skip shift eliminator. The rest of the car is already perfect. Don't ruin a good thing.

dobewillie 10-27-2009 11:45 PM

just get a start modding it will take you as far as your wallet will allow good luck if you get the bug:thumbs:

ls1impulse 10-28-2009 12:05 AM

is it the traction control/activa handling light or abs? If it the first one check out this guy for the fix, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Otherwise the only thing that's really NEEDED is the Skip shift eliminator - after that you can go as far as your wallet allows, but I'd check out an MGW shifter, that was my first mod, and they make a huge difference.

peter pan 10-28-2009 07:33 AM

Shifter and intake are some of the first mods that come to mind followed by a blowerhttp://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...ons/cool-1.gif

Vetteman Jack 10-28-2009 10:28 AM

The oil pressure sensor is a common problem. Lots of threads on that topic. As far as mods, if you want to do performance stuff, a new air intake and some LT headers would be a good start.

Appearance wise, new wheels, custom interior, high rise hood - all good choices.

SaberD 10-28-2009 10:41 AM

wow thats an amazing deal!!! :willy::willy: thats the best deal on a z i have seen on this forum.

MG RED 99 10-28-2009 10:46 AM

First of all congratulations on your new ride.:cheers:
Couple of things you should know. Learn how to pull diagnostic codes from the DIC, do a search and you will find the steps for this, it's pretty easy. it will help tremendously when trying to diagnose any problems you may have. posting the trouble codes here will get you results quickly, after all this is the greatest forum in the world.

Oil sensor is pretty common problem, again do a search and it will get you straightened out.

ABS lights pretty common too, but will need more information as to what is going on based on whats happening with the car when it shows up.

Cleaning your ground connections can help with alot of the electrical gremlins that show up from time to time, again do a search.

As for the mods, anything that can help the engine breath better will be beneficial. Good luck and welcome to family:)

ZDRpewter01 10-28-2009 11:14 AM

Not sure if the Z's had this problem but the Control Lock Bypass if not already done...

terrible1one3 10-28-2009 11:36 AM

Congrats on the new ride.

As for mods, I would first make it fun and comfortable on the inside.

Such as a nice shifter which fits you well, a lot of people like the C6 shifters as do I, shorter and more comfortable throws.

Also get the stereo doing what you want. Being a younger guy myself this is important to have the music I want. I hate radio so some sort of iPod adaptability was important for an entertainment aspect of the car.

Do the maintenance "upgrades" first. Make sure it has fresh oil and lube throughout, Engine, Tranny, Differential, lube all the joints, check the common wear areas.

If your brakes are low or grooved then hey, there is a great place to upgrade.

If your seats are rocking do the DIY or upgrade the seats.

If your tires are worn and a wheel is cracked do wheels and tires!

See where I am going with this? Upgrade and maintain the common wear items so you have a good platform for performance upgrades down the road (intake exhaust and tune, H/C and tune, Blower and tune, etc.).

tlc0706 10-28-2009 11:53 AM

Welcome to the world of Vettes and CF.......Excellent suggestions already listed, but if it were mine, first mod would be to change all of the cars fluids.....Then work on the suggestions......:thumbs:

Nashville Natureboy 10-28-2009 01:39 PM

Get a truck popper before this drives you nuts!

BOTYNV1 10-28-2009 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Nashville Natureboy (Post 1571968945)
Get a truck popper before this drives you nuts!

I think he meant TRUNK :thumbs: :lol:

minitech 10-28-2009 01:44 PM

The best way to have fun with that is look for a driving school, get some instruction on driving on a road course. Then look for HPDE events in your area. Take the car to the limits on the track safely.

JW Motorsports 10-28-2009 01:46 PM

Welcome! You got a good deal on a Z. :cool:

dorn74 10-28-2009 02:39 PM

Great, I changed the fluids the day I got it and am noticing that the wheels either need to be repaired/replaced. I figured out the picture thing.

http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/t...002Z060012.jpg

And what is a trunk popper?

Gideon's_Test 10-28-2009 02:49 PM

The FRC/Z06 trunk lids do not pop up far enough when they get older. The popper is a spring added to the lid to make it pop up far enough to get your fingers under it...BTW, congrats on the great deal!

Corvettes of Dallas - Parts 10-28-2009 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by dorn74 (Post 1571969547)
Great, I changed the fluids the day I got it and am noticing that the wheels either need to be repaired/replaced. I figured out the picture thing.

http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/t...002Z060012.jpg

And what is a trunk popper?

Wow! The paint looks amazing...Sounds like a good deal!

I saw a 07 Z06 that a Lady owned, it was getting 18MPG! AVG...

PM Sent

-Adam

Corvettes of Dallas

IMXCITD 10-28-2009 04:13 PM

Congrats on the new ride! :cheers::cheers:

I would change all the fluids, address any problems, check battery, lower on stock bolts, tint, new Lloyds mats, MGW shifter, Column lock bypass, skip shift eliminator, new wheels/tires........and enjoy.

Get use to the car...and learn to drive it well before you put much more performance-wise into it.

Congrats and enjoy!! :thumbs: